jcjcjc

Triceps

Even Anthony Robles considers him to be an inspiration.

I say this with all absolute due respect, but I would argue Robles had more of an advantage than disadvantage.As it pertains to a wrestling match.

Edited by Lurker

Once he got his style down, yes. But for the first few seasons? I bet he got his ass kicked over and over and over.

Yes Coach, I totally agree once he got his style down. But then again, is that so rare with two legged athletes? Many D-1 wrestlers took their share of beatings when they first began. Not all, and I'll concede maybe not to the extent of Robles (I don't know how those numbers would work out over the broad spectrum, that would take a lot of research). But once getting to that D-1 level, and for those who say no way, there are advantages. I'll just list the two most prominent:

1) You train everyday to compete against athletes with two legs, for having options on which leg to attack and how to attack each leg. Then there is the top position, etc. Robles, and other one legged wrestlers do as well. What you spend virtually zero time training for is an athlete with only one leg. So while he's training every day to beat people, for lack of better term, like you....You spend no time training to beat someone like him.

2). A leg contains among the biggest bone and muscular structures in the whole body. So I think a fair, if not very conservative estimate, is that leg weighs 30-40 pounds. So at 125, while he is missing a leg, the rest of his body has the mass and strength of that of a 157-165 pounder.

Again, absolutely no disrespect to he and others who have competed with one or no legs. Utmost respect!! But once you get to a certain level, there are certainly inherent advantages.

perhaps robles' story can be framed as such:  robles did what all great wrestlers do, and learned to take advantage of his particular physical attributes, and built a skill set around them.  his body offered both advantages and disadvantages, similar to anyone's.  robles' disadvantages were different and more obvious than most.  however, he triumphed in a way wrestling requires us all to, but in a much more dramatic way, given the extent of his particular differences.  he did it in grand fashion, with circumstances that highlight what we all love about wrestling.  

was the missing leg a disadvantage?  yes, a huge one.

did robles carve out a technique and style that turned it into an advantage?  yes, a huge one.

it was both, so the arguments over which it was are moot.  robles' story is thus both unique and universal among wrestling champions.

Edited by John Coctostan

perhaps robles' story can be framed as such: robles did what all great wrestlers do, and learned to take advantage of his particular physical attributes, and built a skill set around them. his body offered both advantages and disadvantages, similar to anyone's. robles' disadvantages were different and more obvious than most. however, he triumphed in a way wrestling requires us all to, but in a much more dramatic way, given the extent of his particular differences. he did it in grand fashion, with circumstances that highlight what we all love about wrestling.

was the missing leg a disadvantage? yes, a huge one.

did robles carve out a technique and style that turned it into an advantage? yes, a huge one.

it was both, so the arguments over which it was are moot. robles' story is thus both unique and universal among wrestling champions.

I can get behind this completely. I've had this discussion with many people over a number of years (well before Robles), and that's probably the best way I've heard it "argued". Kudos, very nicely put.

perhaps robles' story can be framed as such:  robles did what all great wrestlers do, and learned to take advantage of his particular physical attributes, and built a skill set around them.  his body offered both advantages and disadvantages, similar to anyone's.  robles' disadvantages were different and more obvious than most.  however, he triumphed in a way wrestling requires us all to, but in a much more dramatic way, given the extent of his particular differences.  he did it in grand fashion, with circumstances that highlight what we all love about wrestling.  

was the missing leg a disadvantage?  yes, a huge one.

did robles carve out a technique and style that turned it into an advantage?  yes, a huge one.

it was both, so the arguments over which it was are moot.  robles' story is thus both unique and universal among wrestling champions.

Great way to put frame the situation. I love it. I’m using this with my team.