Sign in to follow this  
steamboat_charlie

Redshirt Power Rankings

Now that I've finally recovered from my post-tournament hangover, it's time to rise again and look forward to next season. 

giphy.gif

Below, I'm unveiling my official redshirt power rankings.  Note--this is red/gray shirts only, no high schoolers.  

Rank - Name - College - Weight - Predicted Finish

1 - Daton Fix - Oklahoma State - 125 - 2nd/3rd

2 - Vito Arujau - Cornell - 133/141 - Top 4

3 - Joe Smith - Oklahoma State - 165 - Top 5

4 - Jacob Warner - Iowa - 197 - Top 5

5 - Kaden Gfeller - Oklahoma State - 141 - Low AA

6 - Nick Reenan - NC State - 184 - Low AA

7 - Louie DePrez - Binghamton - 184 - Low AA

8 - Mekhi Lewis - Virginia Tech - 165/174 - Low AA

9 - Bryce Steiert - Northwern Iowa - 165 - Low AA

10 - Mikey Labriola - Nebraska - 174 - R12 / Low AA

11 - Pat Lugo - Iowa - R12 / Low AA

12 -Nino Bonaccorsi - Pitt - 184 - R12

13 - Micky Phillippi - Pitt - 184 - R12

14 - Chase Singletary - Ohio State - 285 - R12

15 - Jarod Verkleeren - Penn State - 149 - R12

giphy.gif

There you have it.  Let me know what I missed.

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Anthony Ashnault will likely get his medical waiver, if you are counting "Medical Redshirts" here.

Justin Mejia is currently GS at Illinois, right? Is he going to RS next season?

Pitt also has a lightweight, 133 I think, who made some noise at Midlands. His name slips my mind at the moment.

Did Mason Manville ORS or GS this season? He might be a little rusty at folkstyle but could probably do some damage if he were in a starting lineup.

Oklahoma? Some ppl were saying they will have a good team next year but dunno if it's bc of recruits or guys coming off of RS/GS seasons.

Edited by pamela

Oklahoma? Some ppl were saying they will have a good team next year but dunno if it's bc of recruits or guys coming off of RS/GS seasons.

OU will NOT have a good team next year. OU is so bad at this point that the best they can hope for is incremental improvement. Lou Roselli has managed to bring in some well regarded young talent though, so I think the team is expected to improve. What bothers me about OU this last season was this: nobody improved from the season before, except for Andrew Dixon who finally improved to "mediocre" in his last year. Really expected one of the Dixon boys to AA at least once.

Edited by TobusRex

Oh - thanks, it sounds like much of the expectations for OU next season is based on their recruiting class.

Is Nick Lee's brother greyshirting right now? I guess he likely wouldn't start at PSU next year anyway, so w/e.

Oh - thanks, it sounds like much of the expectations for OU next season is based on their recruiting class.

Is Nick Lee's brother greyshirting right now? I guess he likely wouldn't start at PSU next year anyway, so w/e.

About Nick Lee's brother: I read last week that he skipped this wrestling season, which would have been his Sr year in HS (and, presumably, 3rd state title). The article said he's been working out with PSU's FS club or something like that. But he's not enrolled at PSU, so he isn't grayshirting.

I think Nick Reenan is right there with everyone besides Martin and Nickal

Mekhi Lewis is in a similar position. Besides hall and Valencia, he is right there. If Valencia moves up, he may even be top 2. I think he will take some losses but by the end of the season he will be incredible

Now that I've finally recovered from my post-tournament hangover, it's time to rise again and look forward to next season.

giphy.gif

Below, I'm unveiling my official redshirt power rankings. Note--this is red/gray shirts only, no high schoolers.

Rank - Name - College - Weight - Predicted Finish

1 - Daton Fix - Oklahoma State - 125 - 2nd/3rd

2 - Vito Arujau - Cornell - 133/141 - Top 4

3 - Joe Smith - Oklahoma State - 165 - Top 5

4 - Jacob Warner - Iowa - 197 - Top 5

5 - Kaden Gfeller - Oklahoma State - 141 - Low AA

6 - Nick Reenan - NC State - 184 - Low AA

7 - Louie DePrez - Binghamton - 184 - Low AA

8 - Mekhi Lewis - Virginia Tech - 165/174 - Low AA

9 - Bryce Steiert - Northwern Iowa - 165 - Low AA

10 - Mikey Labriola - Nebraska - 174 - R12 / Low AA

11 - Pat Lugo - Iowa - R12 / Low AA

12 -Nino Bonaccorsi - Pitt - 184 - R12

13 - Micky Phillippi - Pitt - 184 - R12

14 - Chase Singletary - Ohio State - 285 - R12

15 - Jarod Verkleeren - Penn State - 149 - R12

giphy.gif

There you have it. Let me know what I missed.

All the Ivy League kids minus Cornell...oh wait...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Depending on what happens with 2019 redshirts and weight classes at Ohio State, I think either Kaleb Romero (165/174) or Ethan Smith (184) could be starters and score some points in March in addition to Singletary. Chase may be going into a weight class with less depth or names but I would be surprised if Romero is not a four year starter and multi-time AA before he is done with good health and without weight issues. 

Edited by KSchlosser

That's what I was thinking. They pumping him full of horse steroids or what? 

Just giving a hard time.  We all make mistakes.  

Hey boys, I've got the inside track and ol' Mick is hooking up with David Taylor's trainer this summer... seriously though he should be tough at 133 next year. 

Jake Woodley (despite the criticism of OU above) should be considered. Went 1-1 with Warner this year.

I agree. I didn't list Woodley or Boyd mostly because I don't know who's going to win the spot, but either could challenge AA next year if they continue improving as they seemed to this year.

No mention of Tanner Smith - Unrestricted Free Agent - 149?

Yes, Undefeated I believe he was 19-0 during his Freshman year which he redshirted. lloked it up 19-0 with his best win against North Carolina State's Jamel Morris who was 28-5 

Edited by dougb

Depending on what happens with 2019 redshirts and weight classes at Ohio State, I think either Kaleb Romero (165/174) or Ethan Smith (184) could be starters and score some points in March in addition to Singletary. Chase may be going into a weight class with less depth or names but I would be surprised if Romero is not a four year starter and multi-time AA before he is done with good health and without weight issues. 

Singletary was the most impressive redshirt frosh on the squad last year in my opinion.  He's giving up too much size at Hvy but is a fine match tactician who will only get better.  Romero didn't wrestle a lot and mostly won close matches when he did.  I have no real clue as to how he performed in practice or might have been affected by injuries.  But on the surface he has a ways to go.  Ethan Smith had ups and downs while compiling a 19-8 record.  Honestly, one of the most impressive redshirts last year was transfer Hunter Lucas at 125.  He went 20-5 and while it wasn't against the likes of Lizak, Lee and Rivera, it's enough to make me feel as if he can challenge for the spot next season or at least provide quality depth as a back up.  End of my discussion on Ohio State redshirts.

Yes, Undefeated I believe he was 19-0 during his Freshman year which he redshirted. lloked it up 19-0 with his best win against North Carolina State's Jamel Morris who was 28-5 

North Carolina State has 2 Athletes with very similar names  Jamel and Jamal Morris(almost certainly twins based on the roster picture) One was 28-5  One was 20-6 not sure which one Smith wrestled.  

Edited by dougb

North Carolina has 2 Athletes with very similar names  Jamel and Jamal Morris(almost certainly twins based on the roster picture) One was 28-5  One was 20-6 not sure which one Smith wrestled.  

It was Jamal. Jamel wrestled 133 all year except for one dual at 141 when Kevin Jack was given the night off.