Sign in to follow this  
BooHawk18

Schools you’d like to see add wrestling

Indiana University of Pennsylvania

In western PA. Could join the EWL. Great wrestling area and would draw crowds.

IUP is a Division II school, so they would not join the EWL or any other Division I conference. The other PSAC schools that compete in DI only in wrestling were grandfathered in under bylaw 20.4.1

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year.

These are the schools that I would like to see add, primarily because they are in states with high participation numbers but few opportunities and the schools have the enrollment to be able to support the teams easily without financial strain while also having peers in wrestling that would make the programs viable.

School (Enrollment, Conference) By State

- Florida International (52k, CUSA)

- Central Florida (66k, American)

- South Florida (50k, American)

- Florida Atlantic (31K, CUSA)

- Georgia State (50k, Sun Belt)

- Kennesaw State (35k, Atlantic Sun)

- Georgia Southern (36k, Sun Belt)

- Texas State (38k, Sun Belt)

- UT-Arlington (40k, Sun Belt)

- Sam Houston State (20k, Southland)

- North Texas (36k, CUSA)

- UTEP (23k, CUSA)

- CSU-Fullerton (40k, Big West)

- CSU-Davis (36k, Big West)

Got to recruit the university in each state that doesn’t have wrestling program but has good HS wrestling programs.

Florida (Florida State or UCF would do)

Georgia (Georgia Tech would be great addition to ACC)

Texas ( Texas or TCU)

Kansas ( Kansas or KSU)

Southern California ( UCLA or USC)

Washington (Washington or WSU)

Ohio has tons of great wrestlers so they should be up to PA level by adding Western Ohio colleges - Toledo, Miami, Cincinnati, Dayton. It is such a shame that Ohio has only four (tOSU, Ohio, Cleveland State, Kent State - all in central and eastern area)

Edited by Buckeyebison

IUP is a Division II school, so they would not join the EWL or any other Division I conference. The other PSAC schools that compete in DI only in wrestling were grandfathered in under bylaw 20.4.1

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year.

I didn’t know that. IUP is my alma Mater and used to have a program. Would love to see it back

Toledo

Miaimi (Ohio)

Cincinnati

Wright State

Dayton

Akron

Xavier

Youngstown State

outside Ohio

The ACC

Boston College

Clemson

Forida State

Georgia Tech 

Louisville

Miami (Florida)

Syracuse

Wake Forrest

the PAC 12

Arizona

Cal

Colorado

UCLA

Utah

Washington

Washington State

The Big 12

Kansas

Kansas State

TCU

Texas Tech

Yes don't forget the affiliate members for wrestling in the P-12 also:

UC Davis

Cal State Fullerton

Portland State

Boise State

Yes to the Pac-12. Larry Scott, the commissioner, has always said how he's as into promoting the league's Olympic sports as much as football and men's basketball - supposedly because he sees huge revenue and partnership opportunities with China and believes the Pac schools have a natural geographic and demographic advantage. If that's the case, it would be nice to see the network cover wrestling, one of the oldest Olympic sports, as eagerly as it does with gymnastics, diving, wbb and soccer. It would be great if he pushed member schools to pick up wrestling with the promise of network coverage. Wishful thinking, I guess.

With the exception of USC, I'd want to see these programs resurrected:

USC

http://static.pac-12.com/sports/wrestling/pdf/WRESTLING.pdf

Unless they had a program before 1963 I don't think USC has had a program. Somewhere in time, I read or someone showed me a quote from a USC AD that stated USC would never have a wrestling team. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but that was one reason I left them off my PAC 12 list