Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

Long island wrestling ncaa's

I don't want to start a Marty thing. But back in 70's ,80s

At least 10-15 guys in tourney from long island. I think long island is producing good wrestlers. Wondering why not getting to ncaa's.

A few , but every weight had guys back then? Actually more from upstate now, yet long island wins states every year.

Just checked multiple years 13 , 14, of guys I know where from long island. Now I go maybe 5 at most.

Maybe smaller field now and twice as many colleges had wrestling?

Anybody?

Edited by cangemi

multitude of factors.... most of LI tend to stay on the east coast, the growing popularity of LAX in the region, the list goes on

Lacrosse has been popular on Long Island since 1950. Maybe kids who use to wrestle are playing box lacrosse during the winter.

Biggest change is that now 12 Month folkstyle is the rule rather than the exception. A whole 'nother argument there but that is the biggest difference between Long Island wrestling now and years ago.

Vougar is helping the situation recently with spring Freestyle (the comment about having no good clubs not withstanding)

In the Late 70s Huntington was open two evenings Tues and Thursday, I think Bayshore as well. As law suits and new rules came in it was shut down for other High schools.  Hofstra Monday and Wednesday. I was always able to work out. I am not calling it a joke. I'm just saying there where a lot more kids in the NCAA'S  by a VERY  wide margin!   

Well come on Shak! LOL-hopefully Busellio , Araju, Temmer in few years

Edited by cangemi

Biggest change is that now 12 Month folkstyle is the rule rather than the exception. A whole 'nother argument there but that is the biggest difference between Long Island wrestling now and years ago. quote]

Years in the future, who will be better off, the year round wrestler, or the guy that played 3 sports. I’ve met many outstanding wrestlers who specialized in wrestling. Some just seem socially different. After spending 40 years in education, I have learned that the well rounded student achieved the most success as adults.

Biggest change is that now 12 Month folkstyle is the rule rather than the exception. A whole 'nother argument there but that is the biggest difference between Long Island wrestling now and years ago.

Vougar is helping the situation recently with spring Freestyle (the comment about having no good clubs not withstanding)

alongside Vougar before Mike Patrovich who was a 2x d1 AA took the assistant job at Hofstra he and his family ran a couple of different clubs of which guys like Busiello Piccininni and To a lesser degree Rasheed came from. Now you have Justin Accordino and Pj Gillespie who were also All Americans at Hofstra running their own club where they just produced 2 senior national champs

Biggest change is that now 12 Month folkstyle is the rule rather than the exception. A whole 'nother argument there but that is the biggest difference between Long Island wrestling now and years ago. quote]

Years in the future, who will be better off, the year round wrestler, or the guy that played 3 sports. I’ve met many outstanding wrestlers who specialized in wrestling. Some just seem socially different. After spending 40 years in education, I have learned that the well rounded student achieved the most success as adults.

You're in education...? Hope you're not an English instructor. 

Really? We are going to critique the grammar used here? Hell, by the time I start on these boards, I have at least 4 Kettle's in me!

You’re right. It’s no biggie, just ironic.

Not to hijack cangemi's thread and not exactly Long Island wrestling NCAA's, but Long Island fighting UFC against Khabib Saturday night.

Al Iaquinta wrestled at Wantagh, same high school as Tom Ryan.

(Needless to say, Khabib is awesome and quite the wrestler himself.)

Long Island is a joke now. Most kids stop Wrestling at end of the season and coaches hang em up too. No good clubs. NY is weak over all and Long Island is happy to be the best of a weak state

Did quicksingle close his club? He had a lot of successful kids go through there.

Long Island is a joke now. Most kids stop Wrestling at end of the season and coaches hang em up too. No good clubs. NY is weak over all and Long Island is happy to be the best of a weak state

I am a coach on Long Island and my room is open 12 months a year and I know quite a few of my peers run the same type of show.

I can’t personally go to all the post season tournaments (nats, war, flo nats) because I have a young family and I also don’t charge my kids for off season but they are well attended by LI kids. I do believe that NY also just won senior nats and LI was a big reason why.

We have some strong clubs, vougar and the barn probably being the toughest. Not sure what the answer is to why we aren’t seeing the success at the NCAA right now, can’t speak to the 70s. Maybe we do need a stronger club scene where iron sharpens iron rather than the studs being sprinkled around. The closest thing we have to a young guns is vougar but the clubs on LI don’t really travel with each other. As far the off-season wrestling goes in Long Island hs rooms, the good ones are open 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a coach on Long Island and my room is open 12 months a year and I know quite a few of my peers run the same type of show.

I can’t personally go to all the post season tournaments (nats, war, flo nats) because I have a young family and I also don’t charge my kids for off season but they are well attended by LI kids. I do believe that NY also just won senior nats and LI was a big reason why.

We have some strong clubs, vougar and the barn probably being the toughest. Not sure what the answer is to why we aren’t seeing the success at the NCAA right now, can’t speak to the 70s. Maybe we do need a stronger club scene where iron sharpens iron rather than the studs being sprinkled around. The closest thing we have to a young guns is vougar but the clubs on LI don’t really travel with each other. As far the off-season wrestling goes in Long Island hs rooms, the good ones are open 12 months.

oh

You guys won senior nationals?  nice job.  forget everything i said

see you in Fargo

oh

You guys won senior nationals? nice job. forget everything i said

see you in Fargo

You stated that Long Island is a joke, ny is weak and that we don’t wrestle in the off-season. All false, senior nationals is not Fargo but winning that directly refutes your statement, didn’t realize senior nationals is a joke now. I am not disagreeing that we would like to see more success at the d1 level, but I’m going to take a wild guess that you aren’t involved in off season wrestling in the area or any where for that matter.

I am a big Long Island wrestling fan and go to Nationals every time there East. Just have not seen success as in past.

I am pretty excited on Temmer and  Araju  will come next year

Piccinni

Rasheed 

Temmer

Araju

Deangelo

Tommy Cox

????

Szymanski

Rooting for them see what happens.  I know the 70s and early 80's it was every weight had  guys.

Frank C

You stated that Long Island is a joke, ny is weak and that we don’t wrestle in the off-season. All false, senior nationals is not Fargo but winning that directly refutes your statement, didn’t realize senior nationals is a joke now. I am not disagreeing that we would like to see more success at the d1 level, but I’m going to take a wild guess that you aren’t involved in off season wrestling in the area or any where for that matter.

Don’t waste your time w him.