NJDan

How Good are Women

I think I could beat any female wrestler on the planet but this is a ridiculously dumb thread and I would never say I am better or more skilled than Helen Maroulis

It's certainly not PC to say it and I don't think anyone would expect you'd go against PC.   But if you can consistently beat her, you sir/ma'am are better than her.    That's just the way sports works.    

Not being entertained by women's wrestling doesn't make one a misogynist..

Exactly. In every sport where there is a Male and female version, the males outsell with exception to gymnastics and of course beach volleyball.

It has to do with watching a sport at the highest level. D1 wrestling will always be bigger than D3.

But people will try to shame people who refuse to watch women's sports which hurts wrestling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exactly. In every sport where there is a Male and female version, the males outsell with exception to gymnastics and of course beach volleyball.

It has to do with watching a sport at the highest level. D1 wrestling will always be bigger than D3.

But people will try to shame people who refuse to watch women's sports which hurts wrestling.

Nah, wrestling hurts itself at every opportunity. Well unless you want to make the argument wrestling programs in college are on the rise. Or the sport didn't nearly lose the Olympics. Or outside of Iran is a outlier sport. Or numbers in HS are on the rise. You are not real bright. But you mom loves you as she should. Bless you heart. I swear, an awful lot of wrestling adherents would play Russian roulette with only one empty chamber thinking they would be okay. Hint, had a first cousin do that once. Just once. Edited by sgallan

Someone who refuses to watch is a different kettle of fish than someone who is uninterested in watching.

Nah, wrestling hurts itself at every opportunity. Well unless you want to make the argument wrestling programs in college are on the rise. Or the sport didn't nearly lose the Olympics. Or outside of Iran is a outlier sport. Or numbers in HS are on the rise. You are not real bright. But you mom loves you as she should. Bless you heart. I swear, an awful lot of wrestling adherents would play Russian roulette with only one empty chamber thinking they would be okay. Hint, had a first cousin do that once. Just once.

Obviously wrestling is not mainstream or growing.  That cannot just be attached to any argument to make it relevant.  Or in this case it can't be attached to any insult to make it more than juvenile.  

Obviously wrestling is not mainstream or growing. That cannot just be attached to any argument to make it relevant. Or in this case it can't be attached to any insult to make it more than juvenile.

On the other hand, you folks wore me out. As a result in the community where I used to live wrestling has all but died off. Where I live now, I bet I could build it up, it worked before, a long time ago. But I figure I have already given my retirement to a sport that hates itself, why bother to do it anymore. Yeah I am only one guy, but if the sport chases off too many like me, marginal wrestling communities lose programs. AD's in HS and colleges have an easier case to make to get rid of programs. People who sell wrestling gear lose. People and colleges and HS's who host camps lose numbers. Events go unfilled and less teams either participate in tournaments, or tournaments die out. More HS can't fill line ups, and so forth. In the community where I was at, counting HS, little kids, and Junior high, there used to be 100 - 150. Now 20 at best. I used to do FS, Jh, and local tournaments with those kids. HS had a varsity and small JV teams. HS had 8 jids total I think last year. Purely from a financial standpoint over years the loses are in the 10's of thousands of dollars to the wrestling community. Broad speaking and local. Where I am at now that is similar potential money lost. You all look at it as discussion board banter but there is actual consequences from the sport being at war with itself. Edited by sgallan

This is getting ridiculous. HM is not strictly training with females most likely, and also has world class coaches. From a technical standpoint she very much can and likely is superior to high school/college wrestlers. Does not mean she can beat a college wrestler, due to athleticism and strength differences, but still. From a purely technical standpoint, womens wrestling isnt the same as a mediocre hs tourny. The less athleticism on the other hand makes it understandable why one would choose not to watch.

Edited by maolsen

On the other hand, you folks wore me out. As a result in the community where I used to live wrestling has all but died off. Where I live now, I bet I could build it up, it worked before, a long time ago. But I figure I have already given my retirement to a sport that hates itself, why bother to do it anymore. Yeah I am only one guy, but if the sport chases off too many like me, marginal wrestling communities lose programs. AD's in HS and colleges have an easier case to make to get rid of programs. People who sell wrestling gear lose. People and colleges and HS's who host camps lose numbers. Events go unfilled and less teams either participate in tournaments, or tournaments die out. More HS can't fill line ups, and so forth. In the community where I was at, counting HS, little kids, and Junior high, there used to be 100 - 150. Now 20 at best. I used to do FS, Jh, and local tournaments with those kids. HS had a varsity and small JV teams. HS had 8 jids total I think last year. Purely from a financial standpoint over years the loses are in the 10's of thousands of dollars to the wrestling community. Broad speaking and local. Where I am at now that is similar potential money lost. You all look at it as discussion board banter but there is actual consequences from the sport being at war with itself.

My gosh, you’re such a martyr.

On the other hand, you folks wore me out. As a result in the community where I used to live wrestling has all but died off. Where I live now, I bet I could build it up, it worked before, a long time ago. But I figure I have already given my retirement to a sport that hates itself, why bother to do it anymore. Yeah I am only one guy, but if the sport chases off too many like me, marginal wrestling communities lose programs. AD's in HS and colleges have an easier case to make to get rid of programs. People who sell wrestling gear lose. People and colleges and HS's who host camps lose numbers. Events go unfilled and less teams either participate in tournaments, or tournaments die out. More HS can't fill line ups, and so forth. In the community where I was at, counting HS, little kids, and Junior high, there used to be 100 - 150. Now 20 at best. I used to do FS, Jh, and local tournaments with those kids. HS had a varsity and small JV teams. HS had 8 jids total I think last year. Purely from a financial standpoint over years the loses are in the 10's of thousands of dollars to the wrestling community. Broad speaking and local. Where I am at now that is similar potential money lost. You all look at it as discussion board banter but there is actual consequences from the sport being at war with itself.

So would you prefer people who aren't entertained by women's wrestling to lie about it?

Isn't the girls wrestling in HS doing really well with growth?   I don't follow it so I have no first hand knowledge, but I see state tournaments popping up and even some national stuff in the age groups.    Are girls still wrestling with the boys?   We saw the Texas case where the boy won the girls state tournament but I have to believe that's an isolated situation.   I'm all for the girls having their own thing but i don't believe they should exclude boys if one decides to compete against them.    I haven't seen that much press for girls, ever.     

In a perfect world, college wrestling grows just a little.   The main stream will ruin it.    We will be over run with newbs telling everyone they don't know $h!t and bombarding us with their poorly informed opinion.    And the liberals will kill it with their PC culture.    I'd like to see growth in terms of maybe doubling the number of teams, all fully funded.  That would be perfect.  I'd like to see the stands 1/2 full as an average, with the big time events standing room only.  A tiny bit more coverage from ESPN but not much more.   I'm pretty happy with what they give us now.   `Flo for all its flaws and break downs, it's close to good enough.    A direct competitor would make it great.   The girls are great.    Just please stop interrupting the men's events with their bouts.    Have growth provide them their own events.     10 weights in the Olympics.      I'd be pretty happy with that.      

Can boys really beat Helen?  I've never watched her wrestle.  I'd be interested in seeing her in an inter gender bout provided it's a fairly evenly matched opponent.   

Isn't the girls wrestling in HS doing really well with growth?   I don't follow it so I have no first hand knowledge, but I see state tournaments popping up and even some national stuff in the age groups.    Are girls still wrestling with the boys?   We saw the Texas case where the boy won the girls state tournament but I have to believe that's an isolated situation.   I'm all for the girls having their own thing but i don't believe they should exclude boys if one decides to compete against them.    I haven't seen that much press for girls, ever.     

In a perfect world, college wrestling grows just a little.   The main stream will ruin it.    We will be over run with newbs telling everyone they don't know $h!t and bombarding us with their poorly informed opinion.    And the liberals will kill it with their PC culture.    I'd like to see growth in terms of maybe doubling the number of teams, all fully funded.  That would be perfect.  I'd like to see the stands 1/2 full as an average, with the big time events standing room only.  A tiny bit more coverage from ESPN but not much more.   I'm pretty happy with what they give us now.   `Flo for all its flaws and break downs, it's close to good enough.    A direct competitor would make it great.   The girls are great.    Just please stop interrupting the men's events with their bouts.    Have growth provide them their own events.     10 weights in the Olympics.      I'd be pretty happy with that.      

Can boys really beat Helen?  I've never watched her wrestle.  I'd be interested in seeing her in an inter gender bout provided it's a fairly evenly matched opponent.   

Girls wrestling has grown tremendously in Texas.  It started in 1999 and the first 20 years were girls throwing headlocks and the meanest girl won.  These days there is real technical skill and the girls at the top end are every bit as committed to the sport as the boys.  They wrestle year round and search out the best competition among girls while most train with Boys who are better than their best competition.  In Texas every coach has to be a full time school teacher so it  is extremely hard for schools to get assistant coaches who are more than coaches from another sport picking up a small check during the winter.  But most wrestling programs run as one big team with the boys and girls under one umbrella like you'd see in cross country, and the girls team allows programs to get another wrestling specific coach in many cases.  It's a very healthy and symbiotic relationship between boys and girls wrestling in Texas and the separate divisions works great.  

And because of Texas' late arrival on the wrestling scene we are not that competitive nationally in boys wrestling (though there has been some growth in that mostly tied to a single outstanding HS).  But because they were one of the first with a girls division, they have huge girls numbers and are excellent on the national girls' scene.

Seeing that some schools are letting anyone declare what "sex" they are because that is what they identify with when will we see some boys participating on the Girls teams because they "identify" with the girls?

When they do that and start beating them out for sports teams - what happens?

The guys who want to wrestle and know they don't have a prayer of making a men's freestyle team declare they identify as a woman and start wrestling the womans team?

Seeing that some schools are letting anyone declare what "sex" they are because that is what they identify with when will we see some boys participating on the Girls teams because they "identify" with the girls?

When they do that and start beating them out for sports teams - what happens?

The guys who want to wrestle and know they don't have a prayer of making a men's freestyle team declare they identify as a woman and start wrestling the womans team?

Now that i would tune in to see.