Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Change at WVU- No Bull

Losing in-conference record merits COTY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The award obviously takes far more into consideration that the in-conference dual record.  At the conference meet they finished 3rd of eight and were just 5 team points behind perennial top-20 team Central Michigan.  Sent I think 6 to nationals, unheard of for that school, and the first AA since 1999.  Bolyard earned the award.

Losing in-conference record merits COTY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A certain EIWA Coach just won the NWCA COTY. His Team finished in 15th place at NCAA. Does this performance "merit" COTY when the majority of his wrestlers performed below their Seed ?

IMO, Bolyard did far more, with less talent than said EIWA Coach when it mattered most.

Edited by Show_Me

To me Henson did a great job that could buy into what he was selling.

However, he seemed to recruit and accept guys of questionable character.

The HWT that trasferred to Mizzou I believe was Austin Myers.

A certain EIWA Coach just won the NWCA COTY. His Team finished in 15th place at NCAA. Does this performance "merit" COTY when the majority of his wrestlers performed below their Seed ?

IMO, Bolyard did far more, with less talent than said EIWA Coach when it mattered most.

The NWCA Coach of the Year award was given before the NCAA tournament.

Giving the COTY award prior to nationals is like giving the Hodge before the tournament.  Everyone knew Retherford was the favorite for the Hodge, but how dumb would it look if he was upset in the tournament?

COTY should be awarded afterwards to prevent any egg on face.

Aggressive move by the AD if this is based on performance. How long would the previous coach have lasted with this guy in charge???

I feel this is good for wrestling. Finally we have a performance based evaluation of a wrestling coach. Fact is, if Henson was a good coach, he’d be on the phone now talking to potential West Virginia recruits.

I feel this is good for wrestling. Finally we have a performance based evaluation of a wrestling coach. Fact is, if Henson was a good coach, he’d be on the phone now talking to potential West Virginia recruits.

What would he be talking to them about ?

This is my first reaction too.  Though I never had a negative view of Henson, you have to respect the fact that an AD is looking at the lack of Big 12 wins and saying, we can do better.  It suggests they take wrestling seriously, which is more than one can say for a lot of ADs.  That said... if they are going to release a quality coach like Henson, they ought to put their money where their mouth is, and offer top dollar for a top-shelf coach, and give him lots of resources.  If they bring in a coach of a comparable esteem and don't change anything else, then it'll look (to me at least) as a lateral move done for no reason other than the AD making it look like he's doing something when he's really not.  Lets see who they get.... 

uh oh

Hey GB... are you some kind of savant?  You broke this story, broke the EMU story... heck I think you broke the Buxton-leaving-Blair story, however many years back. Is someone whispering in your ear or are you just quick to post news when it comes across your feed?

I honestly doubt this is what happened. He was probably confrontational with the administration and more of a pain in the ass then they felt was worth it. I hope you're right though.

Hey GB... are you some kind of savant? You broke this story, broke the EMU story... heck I think you broke the Buxton-leaving-Blair story, however many years back. Is someone whispering in your ear or are you just quick to post news when it comes across your feed?

I’m the greatest mind in Wrestling.

Good to see you active again

Edited by GuillermoBilletas

I honestly doubt this is what happened. He was probably confrontational with the administration and more of a pain in the ass then they felt was worth it. I hope you're right though.

..... wrestlers- -   "They do what they do"    - - as people, as coaches, as whatever- they are confrontational when needed. Basketball

coaches are whiney little dicks, like Coach K- guy always looks like he's got a lemon slice in his mouth.....   you cut one of the Brands brothers off in a traffic situation, next stop light you're getting your ass kicked..... that's how it oughta be from BDO..... birth day one ...... more hero's>less punks in the world .............. 

..... wrestlers- -   "They do what they do"    - - as people, as coaches, as whatever- they are confrontational when needed. Basketball

coaches are whiney little dicks, like Coach K- guy always looks like he's got a lemon slice in his mouth.....   you cut one of the Brands brothers off in a traffic situation, next stop light you're getting your ass kicked..... that's how it oughta be from BDO..... birth day one ...... more hero's>less punks in the world .............. 

LOL

At the NWCA convention one year an AD addressed us about how to approach an AD.  His biggest criticism is that wrestling coaches often enter the AD's office "in their wrestling stance," ready to be confrontational.  For many of us, it's our nature--doesn't always result in the best outcomes though.

This is either said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, or one of the dumbest posts I've read, I can't tell.

Edited by KCMO2