Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Change at WVU- No Bull

How long has Henson stayed at any one Coaching job? Head or otherwise?

He moves around and that may well be one thing factored into his being released.

Developing talent? Did a lot of his wrestlers improve or just a couple of the top guys?

Apparently the AD wants a good program and did not have confidence in Henson.

As for the school and West Virginia generally. A beautiful location that someone who enjoys outdoor activities as well a coaching would do well to take. Especially if the school is committed to improving things on the mat.

I think Henson could point to some improvement. He went from winning no Big 12 duals his first year to winning 4 this last year. WVU isn't a state that produces much., if any, D1 wrestling talent either, so recruiting has got to be a real bitch.

I think WVU was impatient in firing him, unless he did something horrible I haven't heard about.

I think Henson could point to some improvement. He went from winning no Big 12 duals his first year to winning 4 this last year. WVU isn't a state that produces much., if any, D1 wrestling talent either, so recruiting has got to be a real bitch.

I don't see where there was much improvement.  3 of the 4 Big 12 wins were against affiliate members which were not there when Henson took over.  The only real Big 12 win vs a pretty bad OU team.  And he averaged about 3 qualifiers per season.  You have to go back over 30 years to the '84-87 seasons to find a worse 4-yr. qualifier stretch at WVU.  He had some decent recruits, but with little to show due to either transfers or kids under-performing.

He's a career assistant who does his best when he just coaches and doesn't have to worry about everything else that a head coach deals with.

Edited by KCMO2

At Mizzou we were not glad to see him go - Sammie did a great job with recruiting and in general teaching the sport.

IMO, Henson was somewhat toxic at Mizzou. Look at that group he coached, they are some of the most anti-Mizzou guys out there.

Blue chip recruit from WV:  Braxton Amos.  If whomever is next keeps BA home, he's done his job.

I'd like to see DJ Shannon change his mind now that Henson is gone, and choose to stay home and go to Mizzou

You can probably tell who will be interviewing for the job if you listen in the halls where they are.

Listen for anyone humming or singing "Country Roads" by John Denver. They are getting ready for the interview and want to show they know the State Song.

You can probably tell who will be interviewing for the job if you listen in the halls where they are.

Listen for anyone humming or singing "Country Roads" by John Denver. They are getting ready for the interview and want to show they know the State Song.

Sound reasoning and good song, except for the fact that.....

e45c845f99a2bd9338e21bb0d4549d007d0af105

I think WVU was impatient in firing him, unless he did something horrible I haven't heard about.

WV might not produce much but they are very close to Western PA.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

WV might not produce much but they are very close to Western PA.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

True. But the recruiting has to be brutal though, what with Lehigh, Lock Haven, Edinboro, Pitt, PSU, Clarion, etc.

True. But the recruiting has to be brutal though, what with Lehigh, Lock Haven, Edinboro, Pitt, PSU, Clarion, etc.

No reason WVU shouldn't be out-recruiting all of those schools, except for PSU and more on-par with Pitt. Lehigh isn't as big of a draw in SW PA, as they're much more popular in eastern PA and NJ. 

Morgantown is also 2.5 hours from Cleveland area fertile recruiting grounds. We have not consistently been pulling guys from these areas for probably the last ten years.

Moisey, Molina, Schaffel and Jake Smithwere Turnbull recruits. So in four years Henson has two qualifiers he brought to WVU in Schmidt and Dylan Cottrill (who was already a qualifier when he transfered). He had a few guys in Stainbrook and AJ Vizcarendo who had previously qualified who didn’t under Henson for multiple years. AJ might have once but know he didn’t as well.

He had the number 5 class in the nation in 2015 but Flynn, Myers, Duggan, Faust, Mariakis, Gray and Ragsdale left. Devin Brown who defeated many talented wrestlers in high school, and maybe undersized hasn’t produced. The Moore twins got some big wins in freestyle after there freshman year, haven’t done much since. They have been battling injuries. Not sure what happens with Keegan’s eligibility he wrestled one match at Midlands this year. There have been rumors of turmoil in the room leading to all these wrestlers leaving, but have no first hand knowledge.

I would have let him see his first recruiting class through before I fired him. But he has been a little underwhelming over the past few years. Turnbull was at the same level if not higher. Henson was Oliver Lucks hire. The new AD is looking for his man. Also Sammie’s son has signed wonder what happens with him?

I believe Kolat is the number one choice. Also Greg Jones, Scott, Flynn, Hahn and Morningstar have been rumored not sure about there interest other than Hahn & M*.

I'd like to see DJ Shannon change his mind now that Henson is gone, and choose to stay home and go to Mizzou

Well, Shannon has de-commited. Off to OTC.

Has Henson landed anywhere else ?