• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

What would he be talking to them about ?

i think he’s inferring he would’ve got his contract renewed

#42 BAC

BAC

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

I feel this is good for wrestling. Finally we have a performance based evaluation of a wrestling coach. Fact is, if Henson was a good coach, he’d be on the phone now talking to potential West Virginia recruits.

This is my first reaction too.  Though I never had a negative view of Henson, you have to respect the fact that an AD is looking at the lack of Big 12 wins and saying, we can do better.  It suggests they take wrestling seriously, which is more than one can say for a lot of ADs.  That said... if they are going to release a quality coach like Henson, they ought to put their money where their mouth is, and offer top dollar for a top-shelf coach, and give him lots of resources.  If they bring in a coach of a comparable esteem and don't change anything else, then it'll look (to me at least) as a lateral move done for no reason other than the AD making it look like he's doing something when he's really not.  Lets see who they get.... 

#43 BAC

BAC

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

uh oh

Hey GB... are you some kind of savant?  You broke this story, broke the EMU story... heck I think you broke the Buxton-leaving-Blair story, however many years back. Is someone whispering in your ear or are you just quick to post news when it comes across your feed?

#44 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

I feel this is good for wrestling. Finally we have a performance based evaluation of a wrestling coach. Fact is, if Henson was a good coach, he’d be on the phone now talking to potential West Virginia recruits.

I honestly doubt this is what happened. He was probably confrontational with the administration and more of a pain in the ass then they felt was worth it. I hope you're right though.
  • KCMO2 and jstock like this

#45 Greatdane67

Greatdane67

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

Read the AD's bio and let me know if you think this dude is playing around.

http://wvusports.com...ff.aspx?staff=1

#46 GuillermoBilletas

GuillermoBilletas

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

Hey GB... are you some kind of savant? You broke this story, broke the EMU story... heck I think you broke the Buxton-leaving-Blair story, however many years back. Is someone whispering in your ear or are you just quick to post news when it comes across your feed?

I’m the greatest mind in Wrestling.
Good to see you active again

Edited by GuillermoBilletas, 29 March 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#47 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:02 AM

I honestly doubt this is what happened. He was probably confrontational with the administration and more of a pain in the ass then they felt was worth it. I hope you're right though.

..... wrestlers- -   "They do what they do"    - - as people, as coaches, as whatever- they are confrontational when needed. Basketball

coaches are whiney little dicks, like Coach K- guy always looks like he's got a lemon slice in his mouth.....   you cut one of the Brands brothers off in a traffic situation, next stop light you're getting your ass kicked..... that's how it oughta be from BDO..... birth day one ...... more hero's>less punks in the world .............. 

• Coach_J likes this

#48 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:56 AM

..... wrestlers- -   "They do what they do"    - - as people, as coaches, as whatever- they are confrontational when needed. Basketball

coaches are whiney little dicks, like Coach K- guy always looks like he's got a lemon slice in his mouth.....   you cut one of the Brands brothers off in a traffic situation, next stop light you're getting your ass kicked..... that's how it oughta be from BDO..... birth day one ...... more hero's>less punks in the world .............. 

LOL

#49 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

At the NWCA convention one year an AD addressed us about how to approach an AD.  His biggest criticism is that wrestling coaches often enter the AD's office "in their wrestling stance," ready to be confrontational.  For many of us, it's our nature--doesn't always result in the best outcomes though.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#50 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

This is either said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, or one of the dumbest posts I've read, I can't tell.

Edited by KCMO2, 31 March 2018 - 07:50 AM.

• madcat11 and KTG119 like this

#51 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

This is either said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, or one of the dumbest posts I've read, I can't tell.

....... if you can't make a decision, go to the website "ID.com" for indecisive dicks.....

#52 GuillermoBilletas

GuillermoBilletas

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

....... if you can't make a decision, go to the website "ID.com" for indecisive dicks.....

oooh- a tough guy

Brands is a better coach than K because he would assault someone for a traffic indiscretion

How often do you decide to measure your johnson?

• KCMO2, madcat11, Coach_J and 3 others like this

#53 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:00 AM

What are you talking about?

ID.com goes to Intrinsic Development Software and Technology Services.  

• Tofurky, cornercoach, GranbyTroll and 2 others like this

#54 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Looks like you got your answer, KCMO2.
  • cornercoach and bnwtwg like this

#55 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

I didn't realize Zeke Moisey got back on the podium this year!

8th, I think.

#56 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I-Remember-When-I-Had-My-First-Beer-580x

• Coach_J likes this

#57 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

How long has Henson stayed at any one Coaching job? Head or otherwise?

He moves around and that may well be one thing factored into his being released.

Developing talent? Did a lot of his wrestlers improve or just a couple of the top guys?

Apparently the AD wants a good program and did not have confidence in Henson.

As for the school and West Virginia generally. A beautiful location that someone who enjoys outdoor activities as well a coaching would do well to take. Especially if the school is committed to improving things on the mat.

#58 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

I think Henson could point to some improvement. He went from winning no Big 12 duals his first year to winning 4 this last year. WVU isn't a state that produces much., if any, D1 wrestling talent either, so recruiting has got to be a real bitch.

I think WVU was impatient in firing him, unless he did something horrible I haven't heard about.

#59 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

I think Henson could point to some improvement. He went from winning no Big 12 duals his first year to winning 4 this last year. WVU isn't a state that produces much., if any, D1 wrestling talent either, so recruiting has got to be a real bitch.

I don't see where there was much improvement.  3 of the 4 Big 12 wins were against affiliate members which were not there when Henson took over.  The only real Big 12 win vs a pretty bad OU team.  And he averaged about 3 qualifiers per season.  You have to go back over 30 years to the '84-87 seasons to find a worse 4-yr. qualifier stretch at WVU.  He had some decent recruits, but with little to show due to either transfers or kids under-performing.

He's a career assistant who does his best when he just coaches and doesn't have to worry about everything else that a head coach deals with.

Edited by KCMO2, 01 April 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Coach_J likes this

#60 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

Blue chip recruit from WV:  Braxton Amos.  If whomever is next keeps BA home, he's done his job.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users