Sign in to follow this  
Buckeyebison

How much to set up Div 1 wrestling program?

I’m sure that was already discussed but I am unable to locate the setting up program.

How much to set up Div 1 wrestling program from the scratch?

From an article on Eastern Michigan:

Of the four sports EMU eliminated, its wrestling program had the highest operating expenses in 2017 at $895,000. Much of those expenses - $847,000 - were covered by direct institutional support. The program received $27,000 in contributions in 2017.

Of that total, $205,800 was spent on salaries and benefits for its head coach ($113,000), assistant coach and support staff.

A total of 22 wrestlers on the team received some form of scholarship aid, totaling $284,000 in 2017 - a nearly $50,000 increase from 2015, according to NCAA figures.

Operational costs of the program totaled nearly $293,000 in 2017. Additional expenses included:

$62,700 for travel expenses

$26,000 for equipment expenses

$11,600 for recruiting expenses

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/03/eastern_michigan_pays_23m_1000.html

I am assuming you also need money to retrofit an existing facility or to build a new one and then probably triple their current equipment expenses as you assume they have none unless it is the room costs, added salary for a trainer possibly an AD/compliance officer, spend more on gear because you have none, among other expenses. Of course you don't have to build or buy everything at once with a multi-year plan, you don't have to give the full 9.9 or cover 9.9 out of state, you can use grad assistants on the administrative side or ask your current employees to do more for the same.

The other thing to factor in is that starting a new D1 program will not (in our lifetime) result in a top 5 team finish. Probably never in fact. A few AA’s here in there maybe in 10-15 years. But no top recruits will enroll or want to take a chance. Top recruits who need a second chance (like gross or marsteller) May consider those institutions but they will go to the SDSU lock haven or wherever. A new program in Arkansas will never crack top 10in my opinion. Same with queens and KC’s recent stint.

Look how hard it is for Iowa state to get back on track. Or OU. And others who have rich rich wrestling history and deep resources. Maybe minnysoda too (sorry head shuck) but I’m just trying to type up something hat has 2% credibility.

Have a great day everyone.

Happy Easter weekend too — I dislike chocolate and bunnies and those marshmallow yellow peep chick thingys.

I’m sure that was already discussed but I am unable to locate the setting up program.

How much to set up Div 1 wrestling program from the scratch?

Lets say quick & simple:

$200k / yr coaching salaries

$300k / yr tuition coverage/scholarship etc. $30k x 10 (rounded up to even #)

$150k / yr travel etc

-------------

$650k / yr  divided by 0.04 = $16.25 million

probably left something out so just call it $20 to $25 million

Depends on the school.  Is it a state school with an annual tuition of $28K for out of state and $18 for in state or is it a private school with an annual tuition of $60K?

Is it an IVY that will only give needs based financial aid so you cannot recruit wealthier wrestlers?

What is the financial aid allotments the school will give you per year?

What part of the country is it in?  Is it California where $100K a year is peanuts for a head coach or is it in the midwest where $100K goes much further?

I think most endowments earn about 4% a year.

20-30 mill for most programs to be fully funded.

Edited by paboom

I wonder what a full ride actually costs. We know what the street value is but I’m sure the wholesale cost is much lower.

At state schools it is a real expense.

You can't give away state resources so every cent has to be accounted. This makes it an actual expense because you're giving the seat to the student and not requiring that he pay for his seat. This is because state schools have their funding from the tax payers which fill funding gaps so it is a real expense on the ledger.

The other thing to factor in is that starting a new D1 program will not (in our lifetime) result in a top 5 team finish. Probably never in fact. A few AA’s here in there maybe in 10-15 years. But no top recruits will enroll or want to take a chance. Top recruits who need a second chance (like gross or marsteller) May consider those institutions but they will go to the SDSU lock haven or wherever. A new program in Arkansas will never crack top 10in my opinion. Same with queens and KC’s recent stint.

Look how hard it is for Iowa state to get back on track. Or OU. And others who have rich rich wrestling history and deep resources. Maybe minnysoda too (sorry head shuck) but I’m just trying to type up something hat has 2% credibility.

Happy Easter weekend too — I dislike chocolate and bunnies and those marshmallow yellow peep chick thingys.

Feel like top 10/champ would be easier in D2. Didn't think Notre Dame had been around long when they won it last year. Also, didn't Maryville make a run about 4-5 years ago?

What you are saying may be true at most NCAA D1 schools.  However, if the SEC as a conference ever decides to get back into the business of wrestling they will rise to the top very quickly.  The SEC makes more money than all the other other conferences, have the best athletes living close to SEC schools,they will have the very best facilities and pay the most money to coaches.  

Aw shucks,

Troy Steiner