Sign in to follow this  
Buckeyebison

How to set up the new HS wrestling programs from scratch?

I'll tell you how it happened here....and the program was driven into the ground and will never be successful.

The first step, depending on who you talk to, was that a petition by students was presented to the administration at a middle of the road size wise high school in a suburban area of town.  I know somebody who had some involvement with their wrestling program, and apparently it was dropped in the early 90's because the AD at the time was a woman who was not fond of it.  Whether the petition was actually initiated by students is an interesting question, because the man who became the head coach had been trying for a period of time to bring it back, after he had been fired from his previous 2 coaching jobs at different schools and was now teaching at this high school.  Whether he helped move this along or not, I don't know.  

Once there was sufficient enough interest/commitment from a number of students, the school which is basically landlocked needed practice space, so what I'm guessing was a parent or somebody connected to the school in some way was able to donate construction costs to build a new on campus wrestling room.  Or they were able to solicit the costs for it, which were said to be about 30K, from the company in exchange for advertising or something.  I'm not an insider so I don't know what the exact deal was.  

The hiring process for a coach didn't exist, they basically just handed the job to this guy, who at his last head coaching stop was thought of as being a reclusive type of guy who barely communicated with the school's athletic secretary and frequently told kids sent to try out for wrestling to go away.  

Instead of easing into competition with a year of JV or independent competition, a first year program with substandard coaching, no experience, and no incoming wrestlers from any youth or kids program embarked on a varsity wrestling schedule in arguably one of the toughest sectionals, which made for a very long season.  I think maybe one kid had a winning record, they only managed one dual meet win, and of the tournaments they attended I don't think they had a single placer.  They managed a whopping 7 points total at the sectional meet and according to a couple of refs I know, the head coach had some kind of argument with the only kid with a winning record and threw him off the team during a dual meet. Obviously nobody qualified for the state tournament.  

As far as I've seen/heard they haven't sent many if any wrestlers to weekend freestyle tournaments.  

So if you want to see a textbook way of how to run a program into the ground in record time, this is it right here.  Not like the athletic director paid any attention, since I sent her an email explaining this was going to happen last August.  It's disappointing because that first year is going to brand them as a losing team, and it will become an unpopular sport on campus, combining that with their head coach's track record of being an strange non communicative guy and being somewhat deluded, I give it only 3 or 4 more years before the program is barely functioning with low numbers, or they fire this guy and find somebody who actually is going to look at reality.  

Any successful high school program begins and ends with a great middle school program.  Hire the very best middle school coaching staff possible.

Any successful high school program begins and ends with a great middle school program.  Hire the very best middle school coaching staff possible.

Or at least a decent one that teaches correct fundamentals.  Wins and losses aren't a big deal to me at that level, having the correct fundamental skills are more important.  

I have several HS that are in need of new HS wrestling programs. I wanted to see how to do it.

How much is needed to set up the HS wrestling programs?

How do we get the things going?

This is how to get things going:

Or at least a decent one that teaches correct fundamentals. Wins and losses aren't a big deal to me at that level, having the correct fundamental skills are more important.

All I ever wanted from my middle school team were kids who wanted to stay with the sport. If they could wrestle, that was a bonus.

Or at least a decent one that teaches correct fundamentals.  Wins and losses aren't a big deal to me at that level, having the correct fundamental skills are more important.  

At the middle school level you will win if you not only teach but force the kids to use great fundamentals.