Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Which current D1 wrestler is most likely to be a 4 timer?

Vincenzo has 2 and has two more shots. He redshirted so he has to avoid injury. He also tends to take an occasional loss and doesn’t blow people out. His biggest competition was iMar and he graduates this year, but 165 is still stacked. Wick, Marinelli, Isaiah White, Martstellar and Massa all could pull off a win under the right circumstances.

Yianni has a shot. The biggest risk here is he is injury prone and you can’t redshirt in an Ivy school. His weight partially clears out though. I actually think he would have an easier time winning a title at 149 next year.

Spencer Lee is injury prone, but has a redshirt he can use if needed. He has Suriano and Fix to deal with next year, but he should run through everyone else. He could have Teasdale too.

There are freshman coming in that could win titles. Maybe Gable Steveson should be considered?

Vincenzo has 2 and has two more shots. He redshirted so he has to avoid injury. He also tends to take an occasional loss and doesn’t blow people out. His biggest competition was iMar and he graduates this year, but 165 is still stacked. Wick, Marinelli, Isaiah White, Martstellar and Massa all could pull off a win under the right circumstances.

Yianni has a shot. The biggest risk here is he is injury prone and you can’t redshirt in an Ivy school. His weight partially clears out though. I actually think he would have an easier time winning a title at 149 next year.

Yianni is not injury-prone.  He was injured in the Heil match.  His surgeries on both elbows his senior year were not due to injuries (pretty sure you don't injure both elbows), but to progressive issues.  Probably related to his lack of triceps.

You don't go 210-0 and win four NY titles over your last four years of scholastic wrestling by being injury-prone.  His tremendous flexibility helps avoid injury.

Vincenzo is very underrated. He raises his game under the big lights. He takes more risk during the regular season like his loss v Marinelli. He is obviously the favorite this coming year for his 3rd but so was IMar.

Yianni just knows how to win. I see him easily winning again this year at 141 or 149. He obviously must avoid injury.

Spencer has the redshirt in his pocket, which could be huge if he gets injured. If Suriano and Fix go 133 I don't see anyone that can come close to him in the foreseeable future. He would crush Teasdale.

I'll wait til Steveson wrestles a college match before I can predict him as a 4-timer. He obviously has the talent to do it.

Yianni is not injury-prone.  He was injured in the Heil match.  His surgeries on both elbows his senior year were not due to injuries (pretty sure you don't injure both elbows), but to progressive issues.  Probably related to his lack of triceps.

You don't go 210-0 and win four NY titles over your last four years of scholastic wrestling by being injury-prone.  His tremendous flexibility helps avoid injury.

I agree that he is not injury prone but didn't he win his 8th grade year and not wrestle senior year because of injury?

Spencer's path is thru Suriano and Fix. There is no one currently in high school that I could foresee dethroning any of these three, at this weight.

Yianni's road is a bit more nebulous. 141/149 has tremendous variability in terms of weight class moves. Many more candidates arise with this in mind that could knock him off. Given this reason alone, I believe Lee's chances are greater than Yianni's.

Joseph has the best shot right now, and he is probably the "worst" of the PSU 5 (which is oxymoronic).

Gable Steveson HAS wrestled collegiate matches, and he excelled. However, that single Kerkvliet match does give me pause. It demonstrated the "how to beat Gable" tactic.

Joseph has what it takes IF he sticks to it.  Nearly impossible to ride or take down AS LONG as he holds position and forces his opponents to make mistakes.  His own worst enemy could very well be the PSU overall scoring philosophy.  If he tries to match Nickal, Nolf or even Hall with bonus, I see that as the only way he loses.

He still has the skillset to win a vast majority of matches that way, but he wouldn't be operating within his absolute best range and that gives guys like Marinelli a chance to knock him off.

Spencer's path is thru Suriano and Fix. There is no one currently in high school that I could foresee dethroning any of these three, at this weight.

Yianni's road is a bit more nebulous. 141/149 has tremendous variability in terms of weight class moves. Many more candidates arise with this in mind that could knock him off. Given this reason alone, I believe Lee's chances are greater than Yianni's.

Joseph has the best shot right now, and he is probably the "worst" of the PSU 5 (which is oxymoronic).

Gable Steveson HAS wrestled collegiate matches, and he excelled. However, that single Kerkvliet match does give me pause. It demonstrated the "how to beat Gable" tactic.

I completely disagree with that.  He may be the worst to "watch", but I would see him giving every one of those offensive juggernauts fits when they tried to attack him at their normal rate.

Everyone always leaves McFadden out of those 165 lists.

How dare you!!! I am a big supporter of the VT program

I should’ve included him, but his mediocre (based on my expectations) performance at NCAAs was why I left him out. I expected him to be top 4 at worst. He should’ve beaten Martstellar.

Yianni is not injury-prone. He was injured in the Heil match. His surgeries on both elbows his senior year were not due to injuries (pretty sure you don't injure both elbows), but to progressive issues. Probably related to his lack of triceps.

You don't go 210-0 and win four NY titles over your last four years of scholastic wrestling by being injury-prone. His tremendous flexibility helps avoid injury.

Yianni did injure his elbow

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5059551-yianni-diakomihalis-high-school-career-is-over

Yianni also tore his acl

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/456932002

He will have had two wrestling related injury surgeries going into his sophomore year.

We can argue about how to define injury prone, but he has been injured twice in the last two years, both of which require surgery. That suggests that injury is one of the likely reasons if he doesn’t get 4 titles. It certainly isn’t because of skill, work ethic, intelligence or genetics.

One thing I disagree is there is no one in High School to beat lee.

Probably true he is special.

Probably will red shirt, so there maybe is another lee or fix

In 9th or 10th grade.

You just don't know. That's why I love to watch freshman every year. Its fun.

I would bet that statement is correct. But not the house on it.

Frank C

I've got to hear this story.  How did he win his 8th grade year due to injury?  

I guess , I wasn't clear.  Someone said he was 210-0 over his last 4 years of HS to win 4 titles.  I believe his run of state championships started with an 8th grade win(then 9th,10th,11th) before an injury his senior year stopped him from being a 5 timer.

I guess , I wasn't clear.  Someone said he was 210-0 over his last 4 years of HS to win 4 titles.  I believe his run of state championships started with an 8th grade win(then 9th,10th,11th) before an injury his senior year stopped him from being a 5 timer.

For what it is worth, his brother Greg just won his third title...as a sophomore.