Sign in to follow this  
nyum

Zahid/Hall, who cuts the most weight?

On the most recent FRL all of the guys seemed pretty adamant that Zahid is in fact smaller than Mark and that the idea that he is bigger is more or less perpetuated by the PSU fan base—thoughts?

On any other team Hall would be wrestling 165. In their senior careers Zahid will be 174/189. Hall will be 163 where he won his world titles. I even think he could make 154 if he had to. Hall was just that good that he didn't cut weight because he was the best-never had to. There is an obvious size difference. It was not always that way though with them growing up. They may not wrestle ever again if Zahid goes to 184 next season. Zahid and Bo are the exact same size. Look at their NCAA title picture. 174, 184 and 197 champs all look the exact same size. 

On any other team Hall would be wrestling 165. In their senior careers Zahid will be 174/189. Hall will be 163 where he won his world titles. I even think he could make 154 if he had to. Hall was just that good that he didn't cut weight because he was the best-never had to. There is an obvious size difference. It was not always that way though with them growing up. They may not wrestle ever again if Zahid goes to 184 next season. Zahid and Bo are the exact same size. Look at their NCAA title picture. 174, 184 and 197 champs all look the exact same size.

If the guy kills himself to make 74kg what makes you think he could make 165 for a full college season. Hall is a 174 pounder plain and simple.

If the guy kills himself to make 74kg what makes you think he could make 165 for a full college season. Hall is a 174 pounder plain and simple.

If what others here say is true, and Hall doesn’t cut ever, any cut would probably feel like he is killing himself subjectively. That said, cutting hard is stupid.

Zahid looks monsterous, but he doesn’t carry as much in his hips and legs, so it’s hard to tell how much he is cutting. Has anyone ever seen his face drawn out and zombified? I don’t recall ever seeing it

Zahid has had a lot of success at 84 kg, so I have to figure he is cutting hard to make 74 kg.  He also looked a weight class above Hall in the finals.  It's possible he just has excellent discipline in terms of dieting to maintain a low body fat percentage and isn't cutting much in the week before his weigh ins. 

Either way, I think Hall's best bet to make the team is to go 74 kg and hope father time finally catches up to JB.  Don't see him beating Zahid at 79 kg.

I was talking to some PSU parents at NCAAs.   I commented about how big Valencia looks and how he must cut a ton.  They said Penn State kids who have worked out with the Valencia's during offseason were surprised that he really does not cut a ton of weight.  They said he was much closer to competition weight than anyone would guess.

If what others here say is true, and Hall doesn’t cut ever, any cut would probably feel like he is killing himself subjectively. That said, cutting hard is stupid.

Zahid looks monsterous, but he doesn’t carry as much in his hips and legs, so it’s hard to tell how much he is cutting. Has anyone ever seen his face drawn out and zombified? I don’t recall ever seeing it

I haven't heard that but I have heard that Hall himself said the cuts to 74kg are too much. It could be a discipline issue but it could also be that the cut is just too much. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some guys are just some compact mofos. I would bet that's the case with mark but who knows.