Sign in to follow this  
nyum

Zahid/Hall, who cuts the most weight?

I was talking to some PSU parents at NCAAs.   I commented about how big Valencia looks and how he must cut a ton.  They said Penn State kids who have worked out with the Valencia's during offseason were surprised that he really does not cut a ton of weight.  They said he was much closer to competition weight than anyone would guess.

interesting. doesn't rule out being big for the weight though, just that he stays disciplined year round perhaps. Randy Lewis wrote something about this....how he was a big cutter but John Smith was never far off 136 as he stayed very disciplined year round...but that those last few pounds were every bit as hard for Smith to cut as they were for Lewis. 

then again not sure Smith was considered big for the class but he sure wasn't getting down to 125.

anyway my eye test says Valencia is a big 174 and as someone else mentioned earlier, hollow bones theory.   

If what others here say is true, and Hall doesn’t cut ever, any cut would probably feel like he is killing himself subjectively. That said, cutting hard is stupid.

Zahid looks monsterous, but he doesn’t carry as much in his hips and legs, so it’s hard to tell how much he is cutting. Has anyone ever seen his face drawn out and zombified? I don’t recall ever seeing it

maxresdefault.jpg

not crazy drawn out and zombiefied, but this is post event (last year) well hydrated etc. and with that, not exactly round faced and chubby cheeked or anything. 

Edited by KTG119

Hall never cut because he always won no matter the weight. That will not work at the highest level. I know what hall said but I think we see him at 163 where he possibly beats JB due to his age...maybe. No way is he beating Taylor or the senior guys at 189. Taylor owns all the guys in the psu room and is splitting with Varner. In the wrestling world 163 is the perfect weight for Hall. 12-15 lb cut is ideal and hall walks around between 173-178. I think he is just a bit cranky after his finals loss.