Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

133lb transfer....

It is strange that we never heard about this(bad behavior) when he was in HS.  Also, from the interviews that i have seen, he seems fine.  I will admit that I don't understand autism but this seems like something that would've come out before now.  I guess a guy that won about 100 matches without losing doesn't have many losses to deal with, however.

Either way, I hope he gets the help that he needs to handle this because it would be a shame if this can end his career.

I am sorry, but you seem to only have a webster's dictionary understanding of autism. My cousin has a 11 year old that is autistic. Out of respect we listened to her educate us on how to deal with him and we witnessed his development, or lack thereof, from birth until now.

autism doesn't effect everyone the same, obviously. But, I call DeSanto on the good side of the spectrum by the simple fact he can even wrestle, let alone get as far as he has. It isn't aspergers, where he can't help saying incorrect things. It is a SOCIAL INTERACTION disorder. It effects all aspects of processing how to deal with other people and the situations they create.

Simply put, autism effects his ability to RESPOND in the way many feel is "correct". When you call him violent, remember he isn't running around trying to hurt people. He just doesn't know how to process when things go "wrong" and to him that can easily happen when he loses control of a match and gets behind. He hasn't appeared to be able to process that and It seems that pressure has resulted in what many are complaining about now.

Now, I get that many wouldn't want to deal with the baggage. I just think the baggage has been mischaracterised.

Sorry, I don’t think committing 3+ different infractions in the last 20 seconds of a wrestling match where no words need to be spoken has much to do with “social interaction.”

It is strange that we never heard about this(bad behavior) when he was in HS.  Also, from the interviews that i have seen, he seems fine.  I will admit that I don't understand autism but this seems like something that would've come out before now.  I guess a guy that won about 100 matches without losing doesn't have many losses to deal with, however.

Either way, I hope he gets the help that he needs to handle this because it would be a shame if this can end his career.

Yeah, but it could be a reaction to the different social and educational pressures related to coming to college.  Many people on the spectrum react poorly to changes, even slight ones, let alone major ones, like apparently going from home schooling to a more public educational system.  Again, I need to be clear, his autism doesn't excuse his actions, but it can help explain them.

Yeah, but it could be a reaction to the different social and educational pressures related to coming to college. Many people on the spectrum react poorly to changes, even slight ones, let alone major ones, like apparently going from home schooling to a more public educational system. Again, I need to be clear, his autism doesn't excuse his actions, but it can help explain them.

Very well put. I was never excusing his actions. I was simply trying to put them into proper context.

Obviously things change, but it seemed like all things were working well, in the FLO documentary. Azevedo acted like DeSanto was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe he was doing this for the film, as I wouldn't expect a coach to trash his own wrestler. 

Edited by gopher_fan_90

Of course he would be welcomed with open arms. Or maybe Cael is gun shy after the Andrew Long debacle and wants none of it.

I doubt he's gunshy if he's already met with him and the release was just reported.  I have doubts about him going there just because there's a whole lot of people at that weight range for Penn State, but who knows at this point?  Hard to doubt them signing anybody at this point.

Didn't realize that he is on the spectrum. That would explain a lot - especially the outbursts. That can be very hard to control and/or modify that behavior. Kids like that are sometimes the nicest kids in the world - but they can act out under pressure and can have very little impulse control. 

IF that is the case, he has a tough road to hoe.

Cael has already met with him, apparently.  I wonder if he transferred there how that would affect the current tenor of the conversation.

I'd be disappointed and still wouldn't root for him. Didn't like what I saw from him in HS and like it less now. He's not worth the trouble. 

I'd be disappointed and still wouldn't root for him. Didn't like what I saw from him in HS and like it less now. He's not worth the trouble.

If he’s the difference between a National Championship or a runner up finish in the team standings, then I’m sure managing the behavior of one wrestler is worth it.

DeSanto has a record of injuring teammates?

Nobody in the Drexel room or his HS were on his level, so I doubt he has faced much resistance in practice.  He has thrown fits each of the last 3 times that he has lost and gone after joints in 2 of those matches. 

Nobody in the Drexel room or his HS were on his level, so I doubt he has faced much resistance in practice.  He has thrown fits each of the last 3 times that he has lost and gone after joints in 2 of those matches. 

some thoughts on practice: Fuentes for 1 is pretty tough.

and I don't know about you, but I came much closer to punching someone in practice than I ever did in a match. 'resistance' can be defined various ways, not always about a guy beating you, in practice it can be about 'I'm cutting weight quit going room hero on me' or 'I'm a million times better than this guy but facing him every day in practice sucks cause he knows enough to keep it close'

He absolutely had issues like this in high school. Most people never heard of it because they only watched him during the spencer Lee vision quest. Everybody was rooting for the underdog and he became the hero. If you watched him in previous matches, none of this would surprise you. I am not sure exactly what, but he definitely has some sort of mental disorder... Autism, Aspbergers, bipolar, etc. I agree that doesn't make it ok, and to me that makes it much more of a risk to take him in as a coach. Is he even capable of changing his behavior? If not, I don't think he helps any team in the long run.