Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Weird wrestling moves/holds - let's discuss them

Things were a lot simpler when I wrestled back in the Pleistocene. Somebody explain the "Wynn-Dixie" to me, please? How long has it been around, who "invented" it, etc. One of the PSU guys was killing people with it.

The thing that Nolf does, right? I'm not sure who invented it, but it is very similar to a Judo (and BJJ I think) roll. It also looks like a variation on a crucifix(?). Where Nolf picks up these moves, I have no idea...

Things were a lot simpler when I wrestled back in the Pleistocene. Somebody explain the "Wynn-Dixie" to me, please? How long has it been around, who "invented" it, etc. One of the PSU guys was killing people with it.

Saw Nolf teach this at PSU camp.  Man hits single and pops you up in a back door situation.  You grab his ankle and turn so you are perpendicular while being draped over the top.  You then force your opponent to go elbow deep on your leg, when he does you then push him back towards his back while securing his near arm.  

The thing that Nolf does, right? I'm not sure who invented it, but it is very similar to a Judo (and BJJ I think) roll. It also looks like a variation on a crucifix(?). Where Nolf picks up these moves, I have no idea...

Yeah, I think it was Nolf. Looks like a judo type move to me.

Seth Gross does this thing where he lets the guy in on his legs, does a hip tip, grabs the opposite tricep and walks over the arm.  I've seen him do it a few times most recently against Tariq in OT (go to 2:12).  

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6144311-133-lbs-s-seth-gross-sdsu-vs-tariq-wilson-nc-state

Not where it originated, but I think the St. Paris Graham boys popularized it a few years back.  Zach Neibert in particular was killer with it (I think Jordan still calls it "the Neibert"), but Taylor used to hit it a lot, Brascetta and the Jordans every once in a while as well.  Also heard it called an "arm bundle step-over."

Not to get off topic, but I enjoy hearing the 'Wes Wesley' type dads in youth wrestling and the names for moves they have, like you're an idiot for not knowing what they're talking about...

ex: "When you were in that position, why didn't you hit the Swedish Corkscrew? It was there!"

or, "Hey coach.. aren't you showing these guys the Tallahassee? I've seen like 6 kids in that situation and none of em hit it."

Seth Gross does this thing where he lets the guy in on his legs, does a hip tip, grabs the opposite tricep and walks over the arm.  I've seen him do it a few times most recently against Tariq in OT (go to 2:12).  

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6144311-133-lbs-s-seth-gross-sdsu-vs-tariq-wilson-nc-state

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5134429-technique-the-mallory

That's a nice one.  I just forwarded the link to our HS coach to see what he thinks.  That would make you think twice about being buried with a single leg attack for sure.  I stress this with the kids - not to get buried or flattened when you attack a leg.  Be in a good upright position.  Something I learned from Ray Brinzer on some board where he wrote -  He used to think to himself, why put yourself in a worse position than you in are currently?  Being on your feet is much better positioning than being flattened out while trying to attack a leg.  I tell the kids that too. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

Seth Gross does this thing where he lets the guy in on his legs, does a hip tip, grabs the opposite tricep and walks over the arm. I've seen him do it a few times most recently against Tariq in OT (go to 2:12).

Lee Kemp scored on Dan Gable with this move as a teenager. Goes way further back then last decade or two.

Edited by takedownartist

Whenever I was on top and the match was almost over but the bottom guy was about to get the escape or reversal to tie/win the match I would do the the move the guy on the right side of the screen does while desperately holding on

0:10-0:12