GranbyTroll

DeSanto to...

State championships = states.

Olympic games = Olympics.

Big Ten tournament = Big Tens.

Not hard.

It mostly makes sense to me . There's 2 divisions in PA, so states being  plural sounds correct.   

The Olympic games has multiple events.  So again games or Olympics is plural.   

Big Ten's is the odd one out though.   What's plural about the Big 10 championship? 

State would seem to apply to  a state championship that has single class.    

I hate the term "States" too, but maybe this is one way to looks at it.

Indiana and California have only one state championship series.  The last day of the season there is only one tournament running.  In Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, etc.. there are multiple tournaments running at the same time, so maybe going to "States" makes some sense.  

My dad won a PA state title in 1964, when it still a single division tourney with only champions advancing out of the qualifying tourneys.  Even then, they called it 'states'.

Autism has nothing to do with intelligence or lack of it.  

this is simply not accurate. as a parent of a child on "the spectrum" you find that kids are effected in in LOTS of different ways mentally, and can show up at the most inopportune times. My child was a savant in programming until MS came and took a HUGE toll. He is still quite good at programming but MS stole much of his ability.

BTW......... I went to "state"...........lol

Edited by AKHUNTER

If he has a disorder, autism or otherwise, that doesn't enable or allow him to compete in the sport without trying to hurt people using illegal holds (interestingly enough, this only happens with he's losing), then he shouldn't be allowed to compete. Period.  Wrestling isn't a counseling session and it isn't a social service. He needs to be able to control himself, the sport of wrestling doesn't exist to serve Desanto.

If he has a disorder, autism or otherwise, that doesn't enable or allow him to compete in the sport without trying to hurt people using illegal holds (interestingly enough, this only happens with he's losing), then he shouldn't be allowed to compete. Period.  Wrestling isn't a counseling session and it isn't a social service. He needs to be able to control himself, the sport of wrestling doesn't exist to serve Desanto.

I don't think ANYONE is disagreeing with that.  It is simply meant to explain the difference between being a "douchebag" as he has been called by several, vs. being someone with a disorder that seriously hinders his ability to deal with tense social situations.

This is why I said he has to be on the good side of the spectrum, because I can't believe he could even engage in wrestling, let alone have so few(although not good) known outbursts.

Edited by MSU158

States is plural, not possessive, because there are many state championships. Just like there are 11 NCAA championships at the NCAAs.

Or at least, that has always been the way I have thought about it.

This makes sense.  End of discussion. It's clearly states.  

Makes sense since PA is multiple states.

The thought process of those in PA is similar that for collegians going to "nationals", or "NCAAs".

But BobDole would argue that the collegians who do well in the conference qualifiers "are going to national".

Edited by lu_alum

It's a regional lingo thing. The north eastern region seems to call it "states", where as Midwest, Southern and western regions call it "state."

I've always equated it to the northeastern folk just shortening STATE championshipS to STATES.

Some people call it dressing, others call it gravy.

Some people call it soda, others call it pop.

Same thing, different word.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

It's a regional lingo thing. The north eastern region seems to call it "states", where as Midwest, Southern and western regions call it "state."

I've always equated it to the northeastern folk just shortening STATE championshipS to STATES.

You're correct.  BobDole is the one who initially stirred the pot.

By the way, I've got great seats for National next year in Pittsburgh!

Edited by lu_alum

Who in the sam hill calls dressing, gravy? 

You're correct.  BobDole is the one who initially stirred the pot.

By the way, I've got great seats for National next year in Pittsburgh!

my bride got hotel reservations directly across the street from the arena in Pittsburgh just a few days ago. Tried last week and it was no dice. So keep checking if you are looking to stay close. I look forward to the National Tourney every year.