GranbyTroll

DeSanto to...

I'm glad your seat for the nationals tournament is good. When Penn State wins another nationals championship you will be able to celebrate with them.

national championships = nationals

state championships = states

Olympic Games = Olympics

Big Ten championships = Big Tens

Still not difficult.

My dad won a PA state title in 1964, when it still a single division tourney with only champions advancing out of the qualifying tourneys.  Even then, they called it 'states'.

Maybe if your dad had won a title when it was single division, single weight class, they would have called it State.

Haha, I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this debate, but I think people say "state's" because they're using it as a possessive and not a plural.

Like, they're not talking about multiple states or several tournaments within the state tourney; they're saying "state's" as a shorthand for "my state's tournament". Same way that "Big Tens" is actually "Big Ten's" or "the Big Ten's tournament" and "NCAA's" is "the NCAA's D1 wrestling tournament".

This absolutely incorrect.

Thanks for playing, though.

I always thought people said "state" instead of "states" because they were trying to conceal a lisp.

Why do people from NY/NJ wait on line, while those from normal places wait in line?

I'm from New Jersey, and I wait in line. Nearly everyone I know says "wait in line." I've heard "wait on line." I always thought that was generational. Or maybe ethnic.

I'm from New Jersey, and I wait in line. Nearly everyone I know says "wait in line." I've heard "wait on line." I always thought that was generational. Or maybe ethnic.

Most people from NY say that.  That's for sure.

Person to me" Hey, are you on line?"

Me " What?  No, I'm not on my phone?  There's no physical line that people stand on, you know..."

Person to me " ********* "

national championships = nationals

state championships = states

Olympic Games = Olympics

Big Ten championships = Big Tens

Still not difficult.

Pa state tournament = states.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe bad Wifi?