Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Could Angle have made 2000 team?

I was just thinking about this today.  When Angle thought he had lost to Jadidi in the finals his first thought he was going to have to train like a crazy person for another 4 years for another try.  The top guys at that weight in 2000 were Melvin Douglas, Dominic Black, Chad Lamer, Rex Holman, Joel Sharratt, Johnny Curtiss, and JJ McGrew.  Douglas was moving up because they consolidated some weights from 96 to 2000, no way he was going to make 187.  I think if Angle had the same drive to win again, and I think a gold medal would have done that for him, it seems pretty reasonable that he would have made the team.  Could he have won gold?  Melvin had a pretty brutal pool round, so who knows.  Angle always seemded to bring a little extra when he wrestled Russians so who knows.  But I think he would have definitely made the Olympic team in 2000.  

Also most of his serious competition was gone by 2000.  Mark Kerr and Mark Coleman both went to MMA, Dan Chaid retired.  Kerry McCoy moved up to heavyweight.  I think Van Arsdale moved down to 187.  I think Melvin would have given him a good fight, but Angle wouldn't have had to cut to make 213.5 back then either.  

I think he could have, but even with a loss, the draw of WWE level money would have been too much.

WWE wanted Angle largely because of his Olympic Gold medal. He probably could have made it in WWE, but would have had to go the more tradtional route working his way through the independent scene. He also wasn't all that interested in the prowrestling scene so I doubt he would have gone that route anyways considering the fact that he turned down some initial offers in the late 90s before reconsidering and joining up.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

WWE wanted Angle largely because of his Olympic Gold medal. He probably could have made it in WWE, but would have had to go the more tradtional route working his way through the independent scene. He also wasn't all that interested in the prowrestling scene so I doubt he would have gone that route anyways considering the fact that he turned down some initial offers in the late 90s before reconsidering and joining up.

He turned down the WWE when they offered him a million dollars right after the Olympics.  He went to the meeting with them and didn't like it.  Then after he kind of bounced around doing sports broadcasting and stuff he went back to see if their offer was still good and had a tryout match at a live show 6 days later.  That's what he said in his book anyway.  

He turned down the WWE when they offered him a million dollars right after the Olympics.  He went to the meeting with them and didn't like it.  Then after he kind of bounced around doing sports broadcasting and stuff he went back to see if their offer was still good and had a tryout match at a live show 6 days later.  That's what he said in his book anyway.

Exactly. My main point is that without the 96 Olympic Gold, WWE never comes calling.

He turned down the WWE when they offered him a million dollars right after the Olympics. He went to the meeting with them and didn't like it. Then after he kind of bounced around doing sports broadcasting and stuff he went back to see if their offer was still good and had a tryout match at a live show 6 days later. That's what he said in his book anyway.

He went to see if the offer was still on the table a few years later. They tried getting him in 96 but he didn’t ultimately sign with them until late 98/early 99 and they offered him a developmental deal which was considerably less than what he was initially offered in 96. It took Kurt awhile to truly understand the “business” of pro wrestling and it took him some time to wrap his head around “losing” as a real Olympic champion.

Angle did give some consideration to a come back in either 04 or 08, I can’t remember which. But I recall watching video of him on wwe programming where he was rolling around in Colorado at the training center but he ultimately decided his neck was too shot at that point.

He went to see if the offer was still on the table a few years later. They tried getting him in 96 but he didn’t ultimately sign with them until late 98/early 99 and they offered him a developmental deal which was considerably less than what he was initially offered in 96. It took Kurt awhile to truly understand the “business” of pro wrestling and it took him some time to wrap his head around “losing” as a real Olympic champion.

Angle did give some consideration to a come back in either 04 or 08, I can’t remember which. But I recall watching video of him on wwe programming where he was rolling around in Colorado at the training center but he ultimately decided his neck was too shot at that point.

https://youtu.be/ttJ-5vj6pMw

The OTT champs were Melvin, Cormier, Cormier, Varner and Snyder since Kurt. I think Kurt could have beat all of them. I also think he had the toughest finals opponent also in McCoy. Pretty cool he admits Varner would have beat him badly.

Edited by PRyan2012

He would lose to the top guys now definitely.  Just too many injuries and the guy is like what 45 after taking a pounding doing pro wrestling.  In his prime he would be pretty competitive with Snyder though.  If they wrestled 10 matches I think the minimum Snyder wins is 5, at Angle's best I think he splits with Snyder.  But I think he would have beaten Cormier and Douglas no problem.  He also would beat Dominic Black and JD Bergman too.  Varner would be a tougher match for him than those guys, who were the WTT trials winners in a few off years.  The weight change after 96 going from 220 lbs to 213.5 would have really helped him.  I think he said he weighed in for the Olympics at like 211 lbs.  As tough as McCoy was for him, no chance he moves up and beats a much bigger McCoy.  

The OTT champs were Melvin, Cormier, Cormier, Varner and Snyder since Kurt. I think Kurt could have beat all of them. I also think he had the toughest finals opponent also in McCoy. Pretty cool he admits Varner would have beat him badly.

It's funny how the interviewer is disappointed when Angle tells him no one in WWE could make it to the Olympics. That's like saying, "hey I know this guy who was a good college basketball player, could he win an NBA championship?" Just because Dwayne Johnson was a good football player doesn't mean he could make it in the NFL. Interviewer sounds like an idiot.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

He would lose to the top guys now definitely.  Just too many injuries and the guy is like what 45 after taking a pounding doing pro wrestling.  In his prime he would be pretty competitive with Snyder though.  If they wrestled 10 matches I think the minimum Snyder wins is 5, at Angle's best I think he splits with Snyder.  But I think he would have beaten Cormier and Douglas no problem.  He also would beat Dominic Black and JD Bergman too.  Varner would be a tougher match for him than those guys, who were the WTT trials winners in a few off years.  The weight change after 96 going from 220 lbs to 213.5 would have really helped him.  I think he said he weighed in for the Olympics at like 211 lbs.  As tough as McCoy was for him, no chance he moves up and beats a much bigger McCoy.  

I mean McCoy wasn't much bigger than 220. In a heavyweight match McCoy weighed in at 235ish. I think Kurt still would have pulled it off. All these guys in their primes were pretty even. Snyder had 5 close matches with Varner in a 4-1 series. Cormier beat Douglas twice, once by pin. Not sure who would come out on top in their primes and fully rested. Consensus says Snyder but it would be really close between Kurt, Snyder, Varner and Cormier probably would match up pretty well. Cormier had a 3-1 match with Bergman in 2008...the only guy Cormier didn't tech fall in 2008 so that is a pretty good indicator it would have been close.

I watched the video two more times. I loved when it looked like Kurt wasn't going to answer then the question perked him up and made him laugh....he said hell no...haha. Varner would hand me my ass...haha

Edited by PRyan2012

I remember this but it was after he left the wwe and had issues outside the ring, so this was more a publicity stunt in 2012 as he was trying to get his name out there for the ufc too. What I’m thinking of was from 04 or 08 when he was still in the wwe and he was actually in shape and in Colorado Springs training some.

Regardless, in 2000, a healthy Kurt would probably have made the team still.

I mean McCoy wasn't much bigger than 220. In a heavyweight match McCoy weighed in at 235ish. I think Kurt still would have pulled it off. All these guys in their primes were pretty even. Snyder had 5 close matches with Varner in a 4-1 series. Cormier beat Douglas twice, once by pin. Not sure who would come out on top in their primes and fully rested. Consensus says Snyder but it would be really close between Kurt, Snyder, Varner and Cormier probably would match up pretty well. Cormier had a 3-1 match with Bergman in 2008...the only guy Cormier didn't tech fall in 2008 so that is a pretty good indicator it would have been close.

I watched the video two more times. I loved when it looked like Kurt wasn't going to answer then the question perked him up and made him laugh....he said hell no...haha. Varner would hand me my ass...haha

I think Cormier and Douglas really match up badly with Angle.  The things they are good at, he is just as good at or better than.  Plus neither were known for their gas tank, whereas Angle's style of wrestling was pretty much coming at a high pace and not slowing down.  That was why Jads had to take repeated lung timeouts in their finals match.  He looked like he was going to croak at one point.  Also when Cormier beat Douglas, Douglas was over 40.  I think when McCoy moved up he was weighing around 240 or maybe a little more.  

Actually, it's more like someone who plays a basketball player on TV trying to make the Olympics.

The interviewer is talking about the legitimate wrestlers in WWE trying to make the Olympics.

Dolph Ziggler - Nic Nemoth 4x NCAA Qualifier from Kent State

Shelton Benjamin AA for Minnesota

Brock Lesnar - NCAA Champ for Minnesota

Chad Gable - Chas Bettes - Greco Olympian for USA

Jason Jordan - Nathan Everhart -  Wrestler for Indiana who was ranked 2nd at 285 in the NCAA

These wrestlers are a heck of a lot more than actors who play athletes. He was asking if these guys could make the Olympics and other than Chas Bettes the answer is no.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

You may be right but it didn't sound like Angle took it that way.

The interviewer clear says in the question the wrestlers in WWE with real Freestyle wrestling experience. If you read comments on youtube videos that discuss Angle's Freestyle accomplishments you will often see WWE fans say that guys like Dolph Ziggler could have made the Olympics due to him being a multi time NCAA qualifier. They obviously have no understanding how much huge separation there is between a good collegiate wrestler and an Olympian. Bottomline is you called these guys actors that pretend to be wrestlers, when many of them are in fact REAL wrestlers with REAL wrestling experience and have accomplished more than most people who knock them on these boards.

The interviewer clear says in the question the wrestlers in WWE with real Freestyle wrestling experience. If you read comments on youtube videos that discuss Angle's Freestyle accomplishments you will often see WWE fans say that guys like Dolph Ziggler could have made the Olympics due to him being a multi time NCAA qualifier. They obviously have no understanding how much huge separation there is between a good collegiate wrestler and an Olympian. Bottomline is you called these guys actors that pretend to be wrestlers, when many of them are in fact REAL wrestlers with REAL wrestling experience and have accomplished more than most people who knock them on these boards.

Some of them may have had some wrestling experience or competed in college, but it's pretty rare guys with a high wrestling pedigree like Angle or Chas Betts do this.  Those guys mentioned would have been beaten pretty soundly by anybody in the top 15 or 20 domestically.  They may at one point have been "real" wrestlers, but they aren't anymore.  

What the interviewer said has nothing to do with what Angle said. Angle said something to the effect that one is wrestling and the other is entertainment.

What the interviewer said has nothing to do with what Angle said. Angle said something to the effect that one is wrestling and the other is entertainment.

Yes, Angle's answer was because 1 is real sport and another is entertainment. Basically he was saying that even though some of these guys have legitimate wrestling backgrounds they are currently trained to be entertainers, not real wrestlers thus he was politely saying they're not good enough. It's no different than saying this successful business man was a successful colligate wrestler NCAA Round of 12 wrestler, do you think he's good enough to make the Olympics?