pamela

Coach Tony Ramos

Just chiming in to say, the new Tony Ramos interviews on Flo are pretty enjoyable. I know he's been on a pretty good path since settling down, having a family and moving to Chapel Hill but I thought he was pretty ridiculous in college (although he has ALWAYS been good with the fans and especially kids) and he's nowhere near that right now. He doesn't seem to take himself so seriously and comes off as a mature, personable guy and positive role model. 

I know he's technically a volunteer on the UNC staff while he is still competing internationally, but I bet he would make a very good hc one day. I wonder how the wrestlers and coaching staff like having him around. 

Honest question, what did he do that was bad at Iowa?

Nothing bad.  Just wasn't a fan.  I think making the world team right out of college made him unbearable for a short period.   He was a walking eye roll.

I'm not the type to root for a wrestler just because he wrestles for USA.  No fun in that. 

Edited by LemonPie

Nothing bad.  Just wasn't a fan.  I think making the world team right out of college made him unbearable for a short period.   He was a walking eye roll.

I'm not the type to root for a wrestler just because he wrestles for USA.  No fun in that.

At least you're honest I'll give you that Lemon

Honest question, what did he do that was bad at Iowa?

He was criticized when he was at Iowa for staring down opponents before matches.  It just seemed like he was trying real hard to be intimidating.  It's really irrelevant and silly criticism if you ask me.

He was criticized when he was at Iowa for staring down opponents before matches.  It just seemed like he was trying real hard to be intimidating.  It's really irrelevant and silly criticism if you ask me.

It was more than that, Ramos was a total hardo during matches too.  You could always count on him for a good shove after a whistle near the edge, and any close match he was involved in inevitably got chippy. 

The stare down antics were more comical than anything.  Seems like he's grown up a little at this point. 

He ran his mouth a little too. If you're not a fan of trash talk then you probably weren't a fan of Ramos. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of collar-tie-and-push-your-opponent-until-the-crowd-intimidates-the-ref-into-calling-stalling, then you probably weren't a fan of Ramos.

I always thought this pic was pretty sweet though : http://www.thegazette.com/storyimage/GA/20130103/NEWS/301039959/EP/1/1/EP-301039959.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

It was more than that, Ramos was a total hardo during matches too.  You could always count on him for a good shove after a whistle near the edge, and any close match he was involved in inevitably got chippy. 

The stare down antics were more comical than anything.  Seems like he's grown up a little at this point. 

Also, if you aren't a fan of collar-tie-and-push-your-opponent-until-the-crowd-intimidates-the-ref-into-calling-stalling, then you probably weren't a fan of Ramos.

Sometimes he won on cautions too

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5333432-133-jordan-oliver-osu-vs-tony-ramos-iowa

EDIT: Apparently I don't know how to embed video. 

Edited by GranbyTroll

I remember he tried his pre match stare down with bonne at a beat the streets event. Didn't work out for old tony lol. That was the match that bonne threw tony while standing on one leg.

Bonne is such a bad matchup for him.

Us d to not be a fan of tony, but coaching seems to suit him. He seems humble and inspiring now.

UNC is doin an excellent job. They did however cause tOSU to lose NCAAs (looking at you, Heilmann)

ACC wrestling is getting good

The Ramos bad?  Some were put off by the Mr.-Meanface-Staredown Routine, the pushing/shoving, etc.  Not major stuff, just attitude.

I think where most had a problem with him was after his loss at the Trials to Dennis his whole pouty, "it's their fault" (the Brands), nobody supported me, etc., antics.  Major sour grapes and a big turn-off.

If he's grown up and become a decent guy, may God bless him.  Life is long and there is hope for all of us to be better people.  Sometimes it takes a good dose of being humbled.  I hope for the best for him in the coaching profession.

Bonne is such a bad matchup for him.

Us d to not be a fan of tony, but coaching seems to suit him. He seems humble and inspiring now.

UNC is doin an excellent job. They did however cause tOSU to lose NCAAs (looking at you, Heilmann)

ACC wrestling is getting good

I agree to a certain extent that tony did not match up well with him. Let's be real though tony wasn't the most dynamic scorer by any means. He was a very predictable opponent. It didn't take much scouting to figure out his game plan. That day Bonne gave him the biggest peice of humble pie I've ever seen served up. You may have guessed it by now but I'm not a big fan of Tony.

Humble and inspiring sounds exactly right. I wonder if Ramos will move on to full time coaching sooner than later - he seems to love competing but his international results, especially since OTTs, must be a little frustrating. Unless he makes the WT and starts bringing home some major hardware who knows if he'll have the fire in him to stick it through the next Olympic cycle. But he seems to be on a very good path towards being a successful coach.