BobDole

Goldman Retired....

was thinking Andrew Howe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Howe has....an argument. But sorry, He doesn't beat out Escobedo as best ever from Indiana. Not by much, but Escobedo has beat. Someone said Dubuque, who's from New Jersey.

Andrew Howe has....an argument. But sorry, He doesn't beat out Escobedo as best ever from Indiana. Not by much, but Escobedo has beat. Someone said Dubuque, who's from New Jersey.

Yeah, but he’s the best ever at the University of Indiana and was an assistant there.

Yeah, but he’s the best ever at the University of Indiana and was an assistant there.

I would argue Brian Dolph was better than Dubuque, as was Escobedo. albeit one title (each) to two but me personally, I would still give them the nod based on their post graduate career (which very much comes into play when it comes to recruiting). All that said, who are the REALISTIC candidates out there that have the combination of competitive pedigree and strong ties and clout within the state? Howe has a comparable competitive pedigree, but once he was gone from the state of Indiana he was gone from the state of Indiana. IU needs to take the Howe's (leave the state in the dust) and turn them into the escobdeo's (stay in state, win titles, coach within). All things considered I think it's a good shot. He has no head coaching experience true, but every head coach never had experience until they got their first gig...

Time will tell.

Bit shocked as others to this news.  Great that Goldman finally is out but Angel?  This is the b10, big time, guys toil for years behind the scenes in hopes of landing one of these jobs and must say, nothing against Angel, but no surprise at all that Glass let this happen. 

One of the worst AD's.  See the contract he gave Crean the former basketball coach - was a ransom for IU to get out of.  Did the President review it?  Now we get a retire and hire in the same day.  Angel, while credible, I can think of many others, if I were AD, whom I would've at least interviewed.

Not wowed by the last 3 wrestling HC hires in the B10, especially IU.  Thought these were coveted, dream jobs and nearly impossible to get.

Obviously a change needed to be made.  I actually think Escobedo can do well... but it's going to be tough.  Indiana doesn't have a single top 100 recruit inbound next year (neither do Maryland or Illinois). 

Class of 2019 will be critical for them.  There are a lot of great lightweight prospects that haven't yet committed... and there's a logjam of young talent at 125 - 141 for a lot of the top programs at the moment which could definitely work in their favor.  Land some solid recruits, build momentum from there. 

Howe has a comparable competitive pedigree, but once he was gone from the state of Indiana he was gone from the state of Indiana. IU needs to take the Howe's (leave the state in the dust) and turn them into the escobdeo's (stay in state, win titles, coach within). All things considered I think it's a good shot. He has no head coaching experience true, but every head coach never had experience until they got their first gig...

Agree. An improved Indiana Wrestling Program will be good for the State of Indiana, good for the Big 10, and good for D1 Wrestling. Indiana doesn't have to have to immediately be an NCAA Top 10 Program for this hire to be considered a huge success.

Edited by Show_Me

......Goldman RESIGNED- he retired quite some time ago .... as a 32 year shop teacher, i recall an end of year teachers meeting for tenure awards..

"Mr. Dan F********* please come up for your 10 year award"    as Dan, a physical ed. teacher walked to the front, someone whispered "he didn't teach ten years, he taught one year ten times"   ........the education system has some barnacles........

......Goldman RESIGNED- he retired quite some time ago .... as a 32 year shop teacher, i recall an end of year teachers meeting for tenure awards..

"Mr. Dan F********* please come up for your 10 year award" as Dan, a physical ed. teacher walked to the front, someone whispered "he didn't teach ten years, he taught one year ten times" ........the education system has some barnacles........

Dan F....DF.... Hmmmm

He needs to poach some of his buddies (I just assume all of these high level wrestlers are friends) from coaching at other schools and develop a top flight staff. Or, he needs to get someone whos not too far removed from college and could develop into a top tier coach. If they can get to the point where theyre putting butt in the seats, can consistently beat, or at least "hang with" the lower tier Big 10 teams, and have an AA or two every year or two then it'll be a huge success. 

Edited by iGranby

Years of mediocrity (at best) under DG and the speed with which AE was given control of the program are both consistent with IU's commitment to D1 wrestling.   Indiana was, is, and will always be a basketball school...period.  If they weren't in the B1G, they'd have dumped the sport a long time ago.

Bit shocked as others to this news.  Great that Goldman finally is out but Angel?  This is the b10, big time, guys toil for years behind the scenes in hopes of landing one of these jobs and must say, nothing against Angel, but no surprise at all that Glass let this happen. 

One of the worst AD's.  See the contract he gave Crean the former basketball coach - was a ransom for IU to get out of.  Did the President review it?  Now we get a retire and hire in the same day.  Angel, while credible, I can think of many others, if I were AD, whom I would've at least interviewed.

Not wowed by the last 3 wrestling HC hires in the B10, especially IU.  Thought these were coveted, dream jobs and nearly impossible to get.

Who would you have liked to see hired at Wisconsin instead of Bono?

On a personal level Duane Goldman is an outstanding and awesome individual, but on a coaching level this is long overdue. It's one thing to under-perform, but to have a consistency in wrestlers regressing throughout their careers is another. Way too many examples of Hoosier wrestlers being superior wrestlers as freshmen to how their careers ended as seniors. While injuries sometimes offer explanations, that shouldn't be something that happens as regularly as it did at Indiana. 

Now here's to hoping someone will come in to turn the program around.  

Question regarding your comment - have you ever spent any time or had a one-on-one conversation with Duane?

If not, it may be understandable to make that first part of your post. If so, I guess you and I have different expectations and thoughts of what a head coach and distinguished wrestler should be saying about people and places.

Regardless, hopefully Angel Escobedo is able to get things going in the right direction.  The coaching staff needs some stability as it has seen a lot of turmoil since 2011 (Dubuque, Leblanc, Simmons departing - with none leaving to take a head coach job). The issues the program has had were Duane's responsibility.

Who would you have liked to see hired at Wisconsin instead of Bono?

Add on Bormet at UofM. Guy was a legit top 5 Hire and arguably the best fit transitionally. Sanderson, Ryan, Brands, Koll and the Smith's weren't going anywhere. So who else should they have taken? An unproven as a head coach assistant with no real ties to that school?

Both Wisconsin and UofM did about as well as you could realistically expect.

It has been a while since he was the "man" in college wrestling....highschoolers may not remember how great he was during his career.

This could not possibly matter less. It's just not the way recruiting works. What high school kid knows a single thing about Bono or Bormet as competitors? They don't care about how the coach did. They care about what the coach can do for them. Message board posters care a lot more about coach credentials as a wrestler than high school recruits do.

Of course there is. It's all about recruiting.  Indiana has more HS wrestlers than Iowa, and Iowa "competes" in the Big 10 at a high level.

I stand by my statement. Add to the fact they split some talent with Purdue. Point being is they can use some Indiana talent, but they need a coach who can also draw from other states. Can escobedo do that? I suppose we shall see. But he is undoubtedly a legendary Indiana high school wrestler.

I stand by my statement. Add to the fact they split some talent with Purdue. Point being is they can use some Indiana talent, but they need a coach who can also draw from other states. Can escobedo do that? I suppose we shall see. But he is undoubtedly a legendary Indiana high school wrestler.

Head scratcher to say the least....

This could not possibly matter less. It's just not the way recruiting works. What high school kid knows a single thing about Bono or Bormet as competitors? They don't care about how the coach did. They care about what the coach can do for them. Message board posters care a lot more about coach credentials as a wrestler than high school recruits do.

I respectfully disagree. High school kids will be drawn to a big name with recent results (most likely results that the recruit has watched happen either live or on Flo etc.) Escobedo hasn’t competed in a long time and his coaching prowess is undetermined yet...the comparison to Bono and Bormet isn’t fair...of course recruits probably don’t remember when they competed (I sure as heck do) but bono was in the limelight all year because of his work with gross and sdsu and bormet has been very visual proponent of USA wrestling from youth through college...both have a proven track record (more recently than anything Escobedo has done) in coaching, so that’s what will entice recruits to give their schools a look. Escobedo does not have any real track record with coaching..so all recruits are going to look at...at first glance, is a name. A big name with recent accolades will garner more excitement for a recruit to make a visit than someone from years ago without the same resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk