BobDole

Goldman Retired....

On a personal level Duane Goldman is an outstanding and awesome individual, but on a coaching level this is long overdue. It's one thing to under-perform, but to have a consistency in wrestlers regressing throughout their careers is another. Way too many examples of Hoosier wrestlers being superior wrestlers as freshmen to how their careers ended as seniors. While injuries sometimes offer explanations, that shouldn't be something that happens as regularly as it did at Indiana. 

Now here's to hoping someone will come in to turn the program around.  

Does NOT announcing his retirement before Nationals, a la BDavis, ensure that Goldman was able to hand pick his own successor?

No offense to Escobedo, but is he the best choice available in turning around that woeful program? Competitive pedigree aside, has he spent enough time as a coach to try to right that ship?

Does NOT announcing his retirement before Nationals, a la BDavis, ensure that Goldman was able to hand pick his own successor?

No offense to Escobedo, but is he the best choice available in turning around that woeful program? Competitive pedigree aside, has he spent enough time as a coach to try to right that ship?

No, but he’s one of the best wrestlers the program has produced and deserves a chance. Seems like a guy that would be willing to stick around long term. It’s not a high profile choice, but not a terrible one either.

No, but he’s one of the best wrestlers the program has produced and deserves a chance. Seems like a guy that would be willing to stick around long term. It’s not a high profile choice, but not a terrible one either.

He's also an Indiana HS Wrestling icon, and the state has been seeing a lot of really good talent go to college out of state...

He's also an Indiana HS Wrestling icon, and the state has been seeing a lot of really good talent go to college out of state...

Agreed. They may have been able to land a bigger name, but Escobedo could do a good job there.

Escobedo is very well respected and liked throughout the state. 

Escobedo has very little experience as a Coach/Assistant at a bad program..Another Bad Move by Indiana Athletics. At least OPEN the Job up to some candidates that have actually had some experience. Was the Best Wrestler in Indiana History interviewed? He's an Associate HC and his Resume would run circles around Escobedo.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Escobedo has very little experience as a Coach/Assistant at a bad program..Another Bad Move by Indiana Athletics. At least OPEN the Job up to some candidates that have actually had some experience. Was the Best Wrestler in Indiana History interviewed? He's an Associate HC and his Resume would run circles around Escobedo.

Curious as to who you're speaking of. Escobedo was four years undefeated in Indiana in HS (he lost one match to Illinois kid his sophomore year). 3x big ten champ, 4x All-American, NCAA Champ, 5th in the world. I'll say he is "arguably" the best to ever come from Indiana, but I hope you have a pretty good argument for whom you're talking about.

Escobedo is very well respected and liked throughout the state.

While that is really nice to hear and I do not doubt it, can Angel consistently develop guys into top flight collegiate wrestlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to who you're speaking of. Escobedo was four years undefeated in Indiana in HS (he lost one match to Illinois kid his sophomore year). 3x big ten champ, 4x All-American, NCAA Champ, 5th in the world. I'll say he is "arguably" the best to ever come from Indiana, but I hope you have a pretty good argument for whom you're talking about.

Joe Dubuque would be my guess.

Reading that headline was a weird experience....  Goldman retires (Elation and Joy!!!!).  Escobedo new head coach (Oh....I see...Ummmm...Ok... I see...Really???  Ok...).

It is like athletic director Glass couldn't even be bothered.  He truly is a....  whatever.  

That being said I am, of course, going to support Coach Escobedo and wish him all the luck in the world.  He may very well be the best candidate for the job.  I truly hope he is.

Edited by matts1w