BobDole

Goldman Retired....

I respectfully disagree. High school kids will be drawn to a big name with recent results (most likely results that the recruit has watched happen either live or on Flo etc.) Escobedo hasn’t competed in a long time and his coaching prowess is undetermined yet...the comparison to Bono and Bormet isn’t fair...of course recruits probably don’t remember when they competed (I sure as heck do) but bono was in the limelight all year because of his work with gross and sdsu and bormet has been very visual proponent of USA wrestling from youth through college...both have a proven track record (more recently than anything Escobedo has done) in coaching, so that’s what will entice recruits to give their schools a look. Escobedo does not have any real track record with coaching..so all recruits are going to look at...at first glance, is a name. A big name with recent accolades will garner more excitement for a recruit to make a visit than someone from years ago without the same resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escobedo last competed less than two years ago at the Olympic trials. Is that really a long time?

Escobedo last competed less than two years ago at the Olympic trials. Is that really a long time?

Sorry should’ve said, competed and had success that would excite high school wrestlers...just competing in tournaments might not do that. Right now if David Taylor got the job at Indiana he would probably get more excitement stirred up because high schoolers remember him competing and saw the things he did...and he hasn’t coached in any capacity in college while Escobedo has. Just to clarify too I hope this isn’t coming off as a knock against Escobedo, I wish him a lot of success, just saying unless he has been more visible than I am giving him credit for, it might be tough to get recruits to take a look at IU.

There is not enough talent in Indiana to compete in the Big 10.

Just for 💩s & 😆s, what would a 2018 All-Indiana Hometown wrestling team would look like?

Maybe something along the lines of:

125 - Welch (Purdue)

133 - Micic (UM)

141 - Nick Lee (PSU) or Red (Nebraska)

149 - Tshirts (ASU)

157 - ???

165 - ???

I got stuck, but that's already a pretty decent front end of a lineup right there...

Sorry should’ve said, competed and had success that would excite high school wrestlers...just competing in tournaments might not do that. Right now if David Taylor got the job at Indiana he would probably get more excitement stirred up because high schoolers remember him competing and saw the things he did...and he hasn’t coached in any capacity in college while Escobedo has. Just to clarify too I hope this isn’t coming off as a knock against Escobedo, I wish him a lot of success, just saying unless he has been more visible than I am giving him credit for, it might be tough to get recruits to take a look at IU.

I’d say this is valid. He’s going to be able to pull in some Indiana HS names right away, but it still a hard sell at this point for the Indiana HS studs or some top out of state guys. Best bet now is to find some diamond in the rough type guys that his staff can polish up into AA contenders. Once they prove they can develop talent and have good competition in the room more kids will trust that IU can be a avenue their AA goals. If Escobedo can get some solid assistants in and start thing moving in the right direction we may see a few higher profile in state and out of state names sign in a few more years.

But I feel the AD may need to open up the check book and add provide the income so Escobedo can attract another top assistant coaches to the staff as well as keep the other additional staff positions they currently have. Most Big10 schools are providing for a few top assistant staff positions, however it feels like IU has only provided for one true assistant and the rest were just low profile additional support. You can’t expect to even get to the middle of the Big10 conference when your allotted the staff positions equal to what a middle level MAC team can provide. If the program want to attract more talent, develop more guys in the room, and get more alumni/fan support then you have to get another top assistant position on staff to help get it done. If I was Escobedo that would have been the first thing I was fighting for when talking to the AD about what happens next. If not the programs going to be spinning their wheels a lot longer before much progress is made.

Edited by MadMardigain

Escobedo is still very prominent within the state of Indiana. In all honesty one of his biggest obstacles will be keeping the in-state talent....in the state. He probably will have even a little leg up on Purdue just based on name recognition and being a home state guy.  Based on the reactions from the kids on the team already they are excited and are backing him as the head coach.  He is still very well known within the state and highly respected by everyone in the state. One of his best assets will be that he has very solid connections with the best academy coaches in the state which will help him snag some recruits.

Escobedo is still very prominent within the state of Indiana. In all honesty one of his biggest obstacles will be keeping the in-state talent....in the state. He probably will have even a little leg up on Purdue just based on name recognition and being a home state guy. Based on the reactions from the kids on the team already they are excited and are backing him as the head coach. He is still very well known within the state and highly respected by everyone in the state. One of his best assets will be that he has very solid connections with the best academy coaches in the state which will help him snag some recruits.

Good to hear! Those connections are going to be very valuable. Does Jason Tsirtsis have any coaching desires? Escobedo can make an indiana dream team coaching staff escobedo, Howe, and tsirtsis

In order of finish as this year's B1G tournament, here's how each team's head coach looks from high school to college:

Penn State: UT, Iowa State

Ohio State: NY, Syracuse/Iowa

Michigan: IL, UMichigan

Nebraska: SD, Nebraska/Nebraska-Omaha (D2)

Iowa: IA, Iowa

Illinois: OH, Iowa

Northwestern: PA, Penn State/Oklahoma

Minnesota: MT, Minnesota

Wisconsin: FL, Iowa State

Purdue: IA, Iowa

Rutgers: NJ, Lock Haven (PA)

Michigan State: OH, Indiana

Indiana: CO, Iowa - Sorry, jumped the gun on that

Maryland: NY, Penn State

Here is the same information for the top 10 teams at Nationals this year:

Penn State: UT, Iowa State

Ohio State: NY, Syracuse/Iowa

Iowa: IA, Iowa

Michigan: IL, UMichigan

NC State: NY, Oklahoma State

Missouri: FL, Michigan State

Cornell: PA, UNorth Carolina

Virginia Tech: IA, Iowa OR PA, Edinboro

Nebraska: SD, Nebraska/Nebraska-Omaha (D2)

Arizona State: MI, Arizona State

Do kids really look at what state their flagship institution's team coach comes from, or do they look at results? While that question really is nothing but rhetorical, I'm going to go with the latter.

Nothing against Escobedo. I really do hope he knocks it out of the park (so to speak) as the head coach. However, I am reading through the posts on this thread and trying to understand why so many feel that it is more important to have a "hometown" guy than a guy who knows how to coach and has a track record of developing talent and producing All-Americans. You can have all the high school talent in the world in one room and if you don't have someone who knows how to manage and cultivate that talent, then none of it matters... unless you're Cael Sanderson and Penn State... he's a terrible coach and his guys are just good... period.

Edited by Tofurky

So of the top 10 programs this year, 30% are coached by alums, and 10% did their prep wrestling in-state. Makes one wonder why any significant value is placed in the geographic roots of a candidate.

Regardless, I echo the sentiment that we are rooting for Angel to lead a successful turnaround at IU.

So of the top 10 programs this year, 30% are coached by alums, and 10% did their prep wrestling in-state. Makes one wonder why any significant value is placed in the geographic roots of a candidate.

Regardless, I echo the sentiment that we are rooting for Angel to lead a successful turnaround at IU.

30% coached by alums is kind of a lot IMO...

Escobedo is a terrible hire not because he's not capable (I have no idea) but since it's clear IU wasn't even interested enough in improving their program to take a good look at potential candidates.  Shame on them.  The IU athletic department didn't want to even try.  

Edited by silver-medal

30% coached by alums is kind of a lot IMO...

To really evaluate this, we would have to look at that 30% number in comparison to the % of lower performing teams coached by alums. Plus the small sample size (10) allows for big swings with just a single coaching change.

I will concede 30% could be significant, but low enough to demonstrate that being an alum isn’t close to a requisite for success. I point all of this out to say that being an alum should be low on the priority list of separating factors when evaluating candidates.

To really evaluate this, we would have to look at that 30% number in comparison to the % of lower performing teams coached by alums. Plus the small sample size (10) allows for big swings with just a single coaching change.

I will concede 30% could be significant, but low enough to demonstrate that being an alum isn’t close to a requisite for success. I point all of this out to say that being an alum should be low on the priority list of separating factors when evaluating candidates.

Here is the bottom 10 at NCAA’s and their coach’s college (not counting Fresno St since they’re new and CSU since their job is open):

Oklahoma - Edinboro (edit: well to be fair they were tied with 5 other schools, none of which were coached by alums)

Binghamton - American

Cal Poly - UTC

Air Force - Upper Iowa

Buffalo - Buffalo

Gardner-Webb - Gardner-Webb

Michigan State - Indiana

Ohio - Northern Iowa

Southern Illinois-Edwardsville - Missouri

Citadel - American

So, 2 were alums. So maybe being an alum doesn’t necessarily correlate to more success, but it seems to give you a leg up to get the job.

But maybe wrestling for American isn’t a good sign of coaching success :-)

Edited by 1032004