GuillermoBilletas

Ashnault 6th year

6th years in all NCAA sports are getting ridiculous.  Time to simplify...

The average undergrad (not just student-athletes) takes five years to graduate.  Give all D-1 athletes five years to compete, no redshirts, and let the clock start when they first step foot on campus.  Let D-2 and D-3 have different clocks for kids who come and go. 

I can be talked into exceptions for religious missions, but that's about it.

6th years in all NCAA sports are getting ridiculous. Time to simplify...

The average undergrad (not just student-athletes) takes five years to graduate. Give all D-1 athletes five years to compete, no redshirts, and let the clock start when they first step foot on campus. Let D-2 and D-3 have different clocks for kids who come and go.

I can be talked into exceptions for religious missions, but that's about it.

In your example you have 5 years, why make exceptions? Go on your mission during that span and compete the other 4.

I tend to agree, five years to complete four years eligibility is enough. Mormon missions are usually 18 months, so perhaps going on your mission before enrolling would be advisable. Unlike one-and-done superstar basketball players, at least these sixth year student/athletes are matriculating.

I’m glad Ashnult received the extra year but 6 years in college is really too much time. Unless the athlete ends up with a highly marketable graduate degree (MBA, Nuclear Physics, etc.) the extra course work is just a waste of time. I feel college is a four year deal. I don’t even like redshirting. But, I’m just an old fashioned kinda guy.

Really bad especially when you consider there are D1 schools that give you 4.5 years max to graduate.

Kind of makes a mockery at our false illusion of parity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like how Rutgers and Ashnault all but declared he'd get a 6th year even before the season began.  Did he even try to take the mat this season?  He looked pretty good walking around in Cleveland to me.  Methinks he came down with Zane/Heil-itis in October. 

Edited by lu_alum

I like how Rutgers and Ashnault all but declared he'd get a 6th year even before the season began. Did he even try to take the mat this season? He looked pretty good walking around in Cleveland to me. Methinks he came down with Zane/Heil-itis in October.

He did have surgery and was legitimately injured. But looking at the field, he decided to go this route. I think you are correct.

The guy had to miss his whole senior year to injury. I would like to see EVERY guy that happens to, get another year. No idea why anyone is bothered by this at all....

By traditional measures, his senior year was his 4th year at Rutgers, during which he earned his 3rd AA.  He missed his 5th year, which we could also call his 2nd senior year.  Now, he gets to have a 3rd senior year.  We're approaching Blutarski territory, here.

61U8bz-DW5L._SY679_.jpg

Edited by Voice_of_the_Quakers

I like how Rutgers and Ashnault all but declared he'd get a 6th year even before the season began.  Did he even try to take the mat this season?  He looked pretty good walking around in Cleveland to me.  Methinks he came down with Zane/Heil-itis in October. 

Most people can walk around perfect after shoulder surgery

Most people can walk around perfect after shoulder surgery

My point has more to do with (1) when did the injury occur; and (2) how long did they wait to have the surgery to ensure he'd be out for the entire season?

... but maybe he had to get over the Zane/Heil-itis before going under the knife?

Edited by lu_alum

Well Ashnault got a favorable decision, and no doubt this helps the Scarlet Knights next year with another returning AA in their lineup. It should be interesting to see how it plays out next year.

My point has more to do with (1) when did the injury occur; and (2) how long did they wait to have the surgery to ensure he'd be out for the entire season?

... but maybe he had to get over the Zane/Heil-itis before going under the knife?

if he wins it next year can we agree he would have beaten Dean "DNP" Heil this year?  

It's unclear if he tried to come back, but he was hurt and the season was shot so next year he gets a full season and Rutgers gets 2 champs.  

if he wins it next year can we agree he would have beaten Dean "DNP" Heil this year?

It's unclear if he tried to come back, but he was hurt and the season was shot so next year he gets a full season and Rutgers gets 2 champs.

I don’t see two finalists in the lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk