Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Augustana (SD) to move up to Division-I?

I still can't believe there are people who think multiple D1 programs can survive in lower population, weak wrestling states.

If there is growth in D1 wrestling, it's not at Augustana.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not a chance, Augustana has an enrollment of just over 2,000.

So they are double the size of Presbyterian College and already draw D1 size crowds for their basketball team which plays in a city which is the same size as Syracuse, NY?

I still can't believe there are people who think multiple D1 programs can survive in lower population, weak wrestling states.

There is already wrestling at Augustana. Their being D1 doesn't change anything.

Their move to D1 wouldn't be based on wrestling; it is likely based on basketball.

There is already wrestling at Augustana. Their being D1 doesn't change anything.

Their move to D1 wouldn't be based on wrestling; it is likely based on basketball.

If this happened, what Conference would Wrestling compete in ?

I totally agree

Im not under any illusion they'd switch to D1 for wrestling - but if they went D1 for another reason and their wrestling program became D1 as a result - I wouldnt be mad. 

Give those smaller schools a chance - plenty of "small" teams who "shouldnt" survive, or thrive in D1 have done a sight better than plenty of fully funded D1 programs. 

You can play up, but you can't play down. If you go D1 as an athletic department, you have to go D1 in everything. 

I believe that teams were given a choice many years ago to stay D1 in a couple of sports (maybe one or one each gender) when they declared D2 or D3 otherwise. I agree that they don't have that choice any more. Most of what used to be known as the Pa State Teacher's Colleges opted to stay D1 in wrestling when choosing the other division.

I believe that teams were given a choice many years ago to stay D1 in a couple of sports (maybe one or one each gender) when they declared D2 or D3 otherwise. I agree that they don't have that choice any more. Most of what used to be known as the Pa State Teacher's Colleges opted to stay D1 in wrestling when choosing the other division.

That is not universally true.  RIT, D3 in all sports including wrestling, moved up to D1 only in men's hockey in 2005-2006 with all other sports staying D3.  In 2012-2013 Women's hockey moved up to D1 with all remaining sports non-ice hockey sports, including wrestling, remaining D3.  They have 22 sports 20 of which compete at the d3 level with men's and women's hockey D1.

3800 enrollment is not that small. Quite a few of the schools in the EIWA have small undergraduate enrollments.

Lehigh - 4500

Bucknell - 3500

F&M - 2200

Sacred Heart - 5500

Naval Academy - 4500

West Point - 4300

3800 enrollment is not that small. Quite a few of the schools in the EIWA have small undergraduate enrollments.

Lehigh - 4500

Bucknell - 3500

F&M - 2200

Sacred Heart - 5500

Naval Academy - 4500

West Point - 4300

Which of those is public? (navy and west point are usually listed as service academies)  There may be some truly public institutions all D1, under 4,000- probably most are HBCUs. 

I suppose VMI (and Citael?) is actually public, but.....  

Lock Haven is only D1 in wrestling.

But how long will all the PA schools that do the DI in wrestling thing but are DII,  keep doing that?  I think Baumgartner being an A.D. at Edinboro keeps a few of these at the DI level.

But how long will all the PA schools that do the DI in wrestling thing but are DII,  keep doing that?  I think Baumgartner being an A.D. at Edinboro keeps a few of these at the DI level.

No, I think it is the ability that they are competitive in D1 due to all of the local talent and have alumni support that keeps them at the D1 level. Incidentally, that is why they are D1 in wrestling in the first place.

In fact, even if they weren't as successful as they have been nationally, there is a good chance they would remain in D1 because they can act as peers to each other and be competitive in their conference and it gives them an advantage over their PSAC peers in recruiting. The PSAC/EWL schools all have a pretty good relationship.