Sign in to follow this  
irani

My proposed solution for the world cup mess

Only countries that are willing to grant Visas to athletes of qualified countries should be allowed to host UWW sponspored events.

So this will probably mean US, and Iran would not be able to host any UWW events in the future, and countries like Canada can host many UWW events (US fans will not be deprived from watching wrestling after all)

These countries can host all of their own events if they wish.

Iran can host an event for good Muslim wrestlers only, and US can host an event for wrestlers from Noway and other non-****-hole countries.  For the main event, they can have Karen McDougal wrestle Stormy Daniels.

Problem solved!

By the way, Iran screwed up, they should have said they are coming, get their visas denied, and then have leverage with UWW

Well, this is my third World Cup that I've attended. Two at the Forum in Los Angeles, and this one at Carver Hawkeye. I have to say that this event is pretty good. I thought attendence would be a little better, but the Carver Hawkeye facility is top notch.

How does the post-USA dual crowd here compare to LA? I was a bit surprised to see 90% of the crowd leave after the Japan dual. There were only a couple hundred fans left.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would love to go to Iran to watch a WC.  Most electric crowd on earth, respectful of competitors, love for wrestling is unparalleled.  

Someday, when both countries have normal and sane governments, I would love to invite you to go with me, and I would serve as your translator.

But, unlike your Russian translator, if you get into a scuffle with a machine gun carrying guard, you are on your own! :)

Edited by irani

Doesn't get any better?

It would be better if Iran and Russia we're entered the World Cup;

Wouldn't Iran first have to qualify for the World Cup to be denied visas? Thought they placed outside top 10 in Paris?

Wouldn't Iran first have to qualify for the World Cup to be denied visas? Thought they placed outside top 10 in Paris?

You are correct that they did not qualify.  However, when another country (I think Turkey?) pulled out, Iran was next on the waiting list, and was invited.

They accepted the invitation, but then got into a stupid argument with UWW over the timing of the Greco Roman World Cup, and when they did not get their way, they pulled out

Someday, when both countries have normal and sane governments, I would love to invite you to go with me, and I would server as your translator.

That won't be until World Cup 2021 for the U.S.

Edited by KCMO2

Someday, when both countries have normal and sane governments, I would love to invite you to go with me, and I would server as your translator.

But, unlike your Russian translator, if you get into a scuffle with a machine gun carrying guard, you are on your own! :)

I will gladly accept your offer, my friend!  And I promise, I have learned my lesson about messing with guards carrying machine guns!

The letter to the invited countries gave a visa deadline of February 7th (https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2018-02/infos_04_iowa.pdf). Russia shows up at the US consulate a week before the event. They got their timeline mixed up. They should have applied for US visas first, then attempted to assassinate a former spy on foreign soil.

Doesn't get any better?

It would be better if Iran and Russia we're entered the World Cup;

Your opinion of course, but I don't think so, again, maybe Russia if they would send their top guys, but wouldn't.. So no, it don't get any better than this. 

Your opinion of course, but I don't think so, again, maybe Russia if they would send their top guys, but wouldn't.. So no, it don't get any better than this. 

so the Russian third string team would not be more interesting than Mongolia, and Iran's team would not be more interesting than India to you?

They are the 6 time defending World Cup Champs so I guess they were invited. lol

so the Russian third string team would not be more interesting than Mongolia, and Iran's team would not be more interesting than India to you?

Strictly speculation, on what you think would be. I'm thinking no mess here. Great competition,  in this world cup, best team won. 

Strictly speculation, on what you think would be. I'm thinking no mess here. Great competition,  in this world cup, best team won. 

You remind me of Bill Clinton when he was being deposed!  

By the way, I have no argument that the best team won, and USA probably would have won if Iran and Russia had participated.

The second part of my sentence is what makes the absence of those teams painful.

Edited by irani

The letter to the invited countries gave a visa deadline of February 7th (https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2018-02/infos_04_iowa.pdf). Russia shows up at the US consulate a week before the event. They got their timeline mixed up. They should have applied for US visas first, then attempted to assassinate a former spy on foreign soil.

If this explanation is true, then how did the Russian replacement, Mongolia, get their visas in less than a week?