josephe

FS rules - like them?

Not keen on the last points scored to tie a match makes that wrestler the winner.  I'd vote for OT.

Not keen on the exposure either as some is so quick and not like an earned turn in Folk and a match could be over in 20 sec.  Not different than a pin you could argue but a pin typically seems like it's earned.

Serious replies only please.  Curious to opinions because most here in US not in love with Folk or FS rules and feel both need modification - again.

I like no ties. No coasting. Someone on task.

I don’t like the leg lace or trap arm gut techs. I would like a way to somehow limit it. Some simple way. I’m particularly annoyed at the laces where the guy is sitting upright .... there is NO exposure there.

That said, it’s pretty damn exciting right now. I’d be ok with no tinkering for a long while.

Overall they are good. My only thoughts are that stalling late is still not penalized at all. I would also like for there to be some form of ot, even if it is something like the wrestler losing by criteria has 30 seconds to score or they lose. Really, I'd rather the danger zone be made the oob line and have it be unlimited time first to score wins but I doubt that ever happens.

The refs are way too involved in match , very annoying , jumping in and pointing fingers.  Most of the time the wrestlers just ignore them because they dont know the language.  

There were supposed to be new emphasis on fleeing the mat added onto takedowns when running out of circle this year, never really seen it called.  

Still too much whining.. 

But it is more exciting than 3 years ago.

Not keen on the last points scored to tie a match makes that wrestler the winner.  I'd vote for OT.

Not keen on the exposure either as some is so quick and not like an earned turn in Folk and a match could be over in 20 sec.  Not different than a pin you could argue but a pin typically seems like it's earned.

Serious replies only please.  Curious to opinions because most here in US not in love with Folk or FS rules and feel both need modification - again.

They don't want OT to speed up the event time.  Sudden victory overtime would be better, but it is what it is.  Exposure is a great rule.  How many pins do you see in the NCAA finals?  These are elite competitors, and if exposure is so easy to get, why are we as a whole so weak from par terre offense (I will say it is improving though)?

The refs are way too involved in match , very annoying , jumping in and pointing fingers.  Most of the time the wrestlers just ignore them because they dont know the language.  

This I agree with.  They need to not be so involved.  

I don't like the large number of points given for continuous turns with a leg lace, gut wrench or trapped arm.  Limit the number of times you can do this or limit the number of points you can score with one lace, gut or trapped arm. If not, at least raise the number of points necessary for a tech to 12 or 15. 

Very few guys work for the pin.   

Also, why does the bottom guy after a takedown have to "open up" and allow for the top man to potentially score points? Incentivize action for the bottom guy to reverse (or perhaps escape and get back to his feet).  

If you are a high class wrestler, you better learn the few words of english (and french) that wrestling internationally requires. It's not rocket science. 

When you are talking about the best of the best athletes in the WORLD, the exposure points almost are a must have. Folkstyle at that level would be worse than Greco in terms of scoring and excitement. 

The exposure points are great and makes a wrestler become aware of his back in EVERY position.

1. I've actually grown to like the no-OT rules. Someone is always pushing for a score. And it doesn't feel unjust. You go into the match knowing that a takedown to tie is worth more than a takedown early. It's the same as if they deemed an early takedown 2 and a late takedown 3. You know the rules and you wrestle accordingly. 

2. Exposure is earned just as much as near fall. It's a different style of wrestling with a totally different objective. Folkstyle is about control and freestyle is about exposure. I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but it's clear from your questions that this past weekend was one of the first times you've watched a lot of freestyle in a while. It's incredibly, incredibly hard to get exposures of any type against top guys. Watch some more of our guys' high-end events and you'll start to "feel" the flow of freestyle a lot more and recognize the nuances the same way you do folkstyle. You'll realize it's all earned just as much.

All good point made - thanks.  With these tweaks in the rules I think FS would be that much better.  That was my point, FS in a good place but could be excellent and there is room for improvement in the rules and referee involvement.

In regard to points raised about exposure - it may be tough to get a leg lace or gut wrench but to endlessly turn one with it is not 'incredibly incredibly hard' nor should one get enough points for a tech fall for doing so.  I've only been around wrestling for decades so...

Edited by josephe

I love the rules, my only request would be to change criteria to be last-point-scored. There are too many instances with a flurry of scores where it is difficult to determine who is leading, especially if it happens late in the match. The scoreboard can't keep up with the action and it can be wrong on identifying who is leading.

Another easy solution would be a 30 second overtime on all tied matches where criteria is identified before the start so coaches don't have to do the matching in real-time.

OT traditionally hasn't worked well in FS. I don't see why that would change. Just adds more time. I could see criteria being tweaked. Stall calls late puts the bout in the hands of the officials. I am not a fan. With pressure and push outs I have seen lots of last second wins.

I'm for them with a few exceptions:

One five minute period. As someone else here said recently, if you can't score enough points to win in five minutes, the problem is not the rules.

Have a 15 second "turn clock" that goes the moment a takedown is awarded. No more refs deciding how long opponents stay down on the mat. Everyone abides by the same clock. If you turn your opponent within that time frame, the clock stops, resets and starts again once the turn takes place. No turn, back to your feet.

For turns, go one direction, then the other, then release the hold. That last part is not unlike American Folk and has a guy like Robles in mind.

I'm for them with a few exceptions:

One five minute period. As someone else here said recently, if you can't score enough points to win in five minutes, the problem is not the rules.

Have a 15 second "turn clock" that goes the moment a takedown is awarded. No more refs deciding how long opponents stay down on the mat. Everyone abides by the same clock. If you turn your opponent within that time frame, the clock stops, resets and starts again once the turn takes place. No turn, back to your feet.

For turns, go one direction, then the other, then release the hold. That last part is not unlike American Folk and has a guy like Robles in mind.

I like this. Fixes a lot of things.