josephe

FS rules - like them?

Make par terre turn clock 20 sec.

I'd like to see an analysis done about the time it currently takes the offensive opponent (the one who scored the takedown) to turn someone and what the frequency is, versus what the same data looked like in, let's say 1992, or when scoring was through the roof.

I'd also be interested in seeing the same data for ordered par terre from X year to the last year ordered par terre was on the books. If Lalovic and his guys are smart, they're already collecting this data in effort to improve the sport.

Latest iteration is the most exciting and watchable in years.

That said, two leg laces in a row and then release the hold.  Guts the same.

The one 5-minute period bout was very grueling--not opposed to seeing this.  A lot of "injury time" taken at the WC in the second period when they just got a 1 minute break.

Anyone explain why some step-outs were 1 point and some 2?  Seemed the 2 pointer involved having the leg up in the air when they went out of bounds but I'm not clear on the rule.

Thanks.

I am not clear either. Some sequences are still so subjective is depends on the official at the time. Cox had gotten behind his opponent and the opponent just ran out of bounds when Cox would have for sure scored the TD.

Edited by spladle

I like the two point fleeing the hold. In dozens of matches I have seen this call I almost always agree. The continuation calls are often pretty cool wrestling as well. Take it away and a wrestler could practically fall on their back to give one instead of two or four. I do agree with the, you have to reestablish control Gut, laces) to get another two. This seems to be the call with guts. Is it different with laces? Oh, all "slipped throws" should be at least one for the opponent. They have been going back and forth on this for at least 35 years.

Edited by sgallan

I understand slip throws in relation to more risk taking in the sport, but risk shouldn’t be rewarded only if it works for you. That’s the whole idea behind risk taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand slip throws in relation to more risk taking in the sport, but risk shouldn’t be rewarded only if it works for you. That’s the whole idea behind risk taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m confused. If risk should be rewarded when it doesn’t work — then that is not risk.

The rules are in pretty good shape but I still loathe criteria (prefer OT) and have yet to fully grasp the "correct throw". A single 5 minute period and 15s turn clock sounds pretty good, too. Anything that adds excitement without overcomplicating the rules or interpretation.

I see that some posters are advocating for a single five minute period, I am totally against this, I think we need to keep the match at six minutes minimum. The reason being is that we want endurance to be part of the game, which is one of the reasons for our success these past few years.

Folkstyle is better. Points can be earned in Freestyle without ever gainig any type of control. I’ve seen some great catches in football where the receiver was out of bounds. I’m a folkstyle guy.

And to add to the excitement you can lay on top of a guy for over a minute and score a point.

Folkstyle is better. Points can be earned in Freestyle without ever gainig any type of control. I’ve seen some great catches in football where the receiver was out of bounds. I’m a folkstyle guy.

it's a different kind of control. by exposing your back i have eliminated your control of your position.

Sure, and in folkstyle you supposedly have "control" as long as you started on top and can end in a stalemate holding the other guy's ankle.  

And your football analogy doesn't make any sense.  "Folkstyle is better" ... surrrreeee. 

I’m confused. If risk should be rewarded when it doesn’t work — then that is not risk.

I believe I misread your post originally and may have not at all been clear in what I stated. My apologies if that is the case.

Slip throw: there is no reward for the opponent who stops the throw or defends it. I see it mainly as a nice "stalling" (since that word doesn't exist in international wrestling) tactic. If I try something on you and it doesn't work, that's to your advantage. I don't see the point in rewarding something only if it has a positive outcome for the one taking the risk.

I see that some posters are advocating for a single five minute period, I am totally against this, I think we need to keep the match at six minutes minimum. The reason being is that we want endurance to be part of the game, which is one of the reasons for our success these past few years.

Maybe the US team should become better technicians.

Folk has gotten better but you can still stall out legitimate technique by diving through, grabbing an ankle and hanging on, and scoot out of bounds on any sort of power shot as long as you shuffle back in. The only reason you think folk is better is bias without any actual analysis of what is actually happening.

And to add to the excitement you can lay on top of a guy for over a minute and score a point.

Seriously, Freestyle has far more action and is much more fun to watch from my perspective.  There is also the added element of having to score from neutral without exposing your back - how is that not a basic characteristic of wrestling?  The excitement of a turn in Folk just seems greater because fans have had to sit there watching 15 matches of parallel riding before seeing someone go on their back.   Take out riding time, and think it'd be a much closer call. 

Seriously, Freestyle has far more action and is much more fun to watch from my perspective. There is also the added element of having to score from neutral without exposing your back - how is that not a basic characteristic of wrestling? The excitement of a turn in Folk just seems greater because fans have had to sit there watching 15 matches of parallel riding before seeing someone go on their back. Take out riding time, and think it'd be a much closer call.

exactly. Edited by sgallan

I think they need to do away with any rule that is an exception. Like scoring last breaks a tie is fine with me, but scoring last except when there is a higher value scored move for the other wrestler is a ridiculous rule. Anything that takes that much longer to explain to a casual fan is bad for wrestling imo.