Housebuye

World Cup Takaways - USA

Gilman looked to have improved in his match against Japan The score doesn’t reflect the fighthe put up. He has finish slightly faster. It seemed like an issue in all of his matches, but I’m sure it is incredibly difficult to fix that. He is nowhere near a lock for a medal. Honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t make the team, but sitting in the finals helps.

Maple was competitive in all of his matches. E didn’t have tr best competition, but 2/3 he could see at Worlds. He seems to be excellent but only in short spurts. I imagine he is going to keep improving given that room, but he is no lock for the world team. He is my pick though. I don’t think there is anyone in the US that can deal with his size. Maybe Daton Fix? But Daton would be so much smallet and maybe not have a speed advantage.

Colon had a solid comeback, but he isn’t making the team I don’t think. Crazier things have happened. I like that he gutted it out in front of the home crowd. That must’ve felt good.

Logan is so hot and cold. I don’t see him meddling but he beat Haji Aliev, albeit injured. Always exciting. He had to deal with Zain Rutherford though. Zain has a losing record against him but is on the rise and Logan seems to be a bit on the down slide. Zain makes the team again

James Green is right on the cusp of world gold. He definitely has it in him. I’m glad he has Molinaro to push him. When he moves his feet he wins. When he stops he loses. His style is “predictable”, but he has so many go tos that all by the best get killed by him. If he makes the team, he medals again. It does matter who ends up at 70kg though. There are more than 4 guys better than him if some of the guys who jump around end up at 70kg. Then against Green does very well in tournaments. Chances are he will have an easier round 1 match and by round 2, he is way fresher. He beats guys who are technically better than him I think.

74kg

Burroughs is the man. He somehow finds a way to make it interesting, but looked on point. Excited to see that blast double to turn. He is going to win world gold again and I’m going to stress out in every match.

79kg

Dake proved he can win a world medal. Hopefully the tournament style makes him better. He knows how to conserve energy. He has a shot at gold. Interesting weight domestically, with Zahid, Hall and Ringer. Crazy to think that even with 10 weights, a 2 time world gold medalist is probably seeded 4th. Dake beats everyone and then wins a world medal.

Taylor is so good. IF Yazdani is here, im still picking Taylor. His cardio is insane and while Yazdani will control the mat for the first couple of minutes, David just needs to avoid getting teched. Then use his attack rate to win. There are some guys who can give him problems, but I think if he wins in the first round he will make the finals.

Cox never seems to look that good, but he is 2/2 in medaling and one was the Olympics. Yeah he looked mesiocre but he is not in peak form. I don’t think he loses to anyone besides Yazdani or Sadulaev. Domestically there isn’t much competition for him.

Snyder world champ. Hope Sadulaev is here by sounds like he won’t be

Gwiz looked solid. He has challenges domestically. Gable might even be ready. You also have Dom Bradley and possibly Adam coon. There are plenty of other heavyweights who can challenge him but I’m not sure who is competing. If Gwiz or Gable make the team, they medal. Problem is, there are two multiple time champs at this weight, so making the finals is very unlikely.

USA could win worlds again. There are potentially:

7 returning medalists

6 depending medalists

All weight have a chance to medal (61 I’d a challenge)

Out of the non medalists (Maple, maybe Zain, Dake, Taylor), 2 have wins over world medalists and Taylor has wins over an Olympic and World champion.

The backup 57 (Lee/Fix) and 65 (Stieber/Zain) could medal

3 world or Olympic gold winners

2 favorites for gold

Russia is bringing a crazy team with 10 medalists and 2 gold favorites. Possibly 8 returning medalists (my guess). It could come down to the finals again. Maybe Cox can take out Sadulaev or Taylor could take out Yazdani and win it for the team.

I think you are spot on. I think Nickal may cut to 174 but will go with Dake. Gilman will be our rep especially sitting in finals but it is not same day=that is a huge change. Dake, Taylor could have made the team last year if those rules were in place. My world team:

Gilman

Maple

Zain...only change from World Cup Team

Green

JB

Dake

Taylor

Cox

Snyder

Gwiz

Also congrats to the 2018 World Cup Champs!

2018            vs             2003 Last World cup team to win it. Who was better? 

Gilman                         Abas

Maple                          Eric G

Logan                          Bill Zadick

Green                          Joe Williams

JB                                Cael

Dake                           Hartung

Taylor                          McCoy

Cox

Snyder

Gwiz

Edited by PRyan2012

Well, first off Congrats to the Team, the coaches, and all the supporting staff for a great effort and for winning the Cup. Afterwards, I listened to the post match interview of Jordan Burroughs, and he talked a little bit about how the new weigh in procedures, and the effect it had on him. This made me think that this may have been true for some of our other guys as well, which may have accounted for some of the things we saw out there. But whatever it was whether it was the new weigh in procedure or something else, when our wrestlers waited too long to get on their offense it didn't always end up the way we wanted it to go. So hopefully this and any weight issues can be resolved before the next competition.

Good takeaways. I honestly think we can see Spencer Lee at 57kg. Thoughts?

He knows if he has a chance against Gilman. I have to assume he does.

He has said in the past he plans to go she level until he isn’t eligible, but I hope he changed his mind.

While I’d love to win junior worlds, we need the best senior teams we can get. If Lee is better than Gilman, Lee should rep us. It will possibly come down to one or two matches at worlds.

I gave the same view yesterday on another board

Just cause i feel like posting

this years world

57 kg/125.5 lbs. - we likely dont compete

61 kg/134 lbs. - likely dont compete

65 kg/143 lbs. - likely dont compete

70 kg/154 lbs. - could have a champ or Bronze

74 kg/163 lbs. - Champ or bronze

79 kg/174 lbs. - Ceiling is Bronze

86 kg/189 lbs. - Ceiling is Silver

92 kg/202.5 lbs. - Ceiling is SIlver

97 kg/213 lbs. - Gold

125 kg/275 lbs. – Ceiling is Bronze well yeah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nice win and a tough final.  We seemed to struggle with the front headlocks and front wraps the Azeris were using to defend our leg attacks; we definitely need to prep to defend those positions.  I'd still like to see more from us in par terre; very few guys seemed to pose a threat on top (Taylor a major exception).  Overall, a fun meet to watch despite the absence of the Russians and Iranians.  JMHO

Is Cox expected to go 92 for the sake of the team? Because it's more his natural weight? He gets an automatic Final X berth at 86 and has medaled at the weight twice. Bigger guys at 92kg seemed to be able to slow his movement. If it's me, I'm going 86...but then you more than likely have to be beat Taylor.

I gave the same view yesterday on another board

Just cause i feel like posting

this years world

57 kg/125.5 lbs. - we likely dont compete

61 kg/134 lbs. - likely dont compete

65 kg/143 lbs. - likely dont compete

70 kg/154 lbs. - could have a champ or Bronze

74 kg/163 lbs. - Champ or bronze

79 kg/174 lbs. - Ceiling is Bronze

86 kg/189 lbs. - Ceiling is Silver

92 kg/202.5 lbs. - Ceiling is SIlver

97 kg/213 lbs. - Gold

125 kg/275 lbs. – Ceiling is Bronze well yeah

Curious why you think Dake's ceiling is bronze?  That may very well be where he places, but his ceiling is higher IMO.

I think the same should be said for Taylor.  Not saying I'm picking against HYC, but Taylor definitely has a chance.  

Otherwise I agree... realistic assessment.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Is Cox expected to go 92 for the sake of the team? Because it's more his natural weight? He gets an automatic Final X berth at 86 and has medaled at the weight twice. Bigger guys at 92kg seemed to be able to slow his movement. If it's me, I'm going 86...but then you more than likely have to be beat Taylor.

Cox said after 2017 World's that he's moving up.  86 was a huge pull for him, let alone now with the new weigh-in rules.  It's only his second time competing at the weight so hopefully it's just taking a little time to get acclimated.  Close losses to Alborov and Sharifov aren't really that concerning to me... getting dominated by Marsagishvili though, is surprising.  By the way, what a tournament for Dato. Maybe he'll be a force at 92.    

Curious why you think Dake's ceiling is bronze? That may very well be where he places, but his ceiling is higher IMO.

I think the same should be said for Taylor. Not saying I'm picking against HYC, but Taylor definitely has a chance.

Otherwise I agree... realistic assessment.

Was definitely on some whiskey when I wrote this, but (personal belief) I think he is on par with a guy like Hasanov, it's not the deepest weight across the world but I feel some top flight wrestlers will try to dodge Yaz, and the combo of JB/Tsabolov in an attempt to win a gold, and im not 100% sure he beats Ringer at WTT.

I'm sure on the perfect day he could win it all, but with guys like Gadzhimagomedov, Essadollah Akbari, Kurbanov, etc... already showing some solid results at the weight I think the finals are a bit of a long shot. Again on the perfect day where he counters some shots with big throws and what not, maybe he could win, but I think a realistic hope is that when be does lose its to a finalist and he's able to come back and win a Bronze. That said, I think, aside from Maple all of our guys could be finalist if they wrestle an absolutely perfect tournament but if it was a "gambling situation" and I was getting even money, I'd take No medal vs Medal at 79kg (note I hope I'm wrong and he techs the field) but just don't see it. Hasanov stifling him really confirmed my gut, and I'm telling you watch out for Ringer.

Edited by spladle08

Was definitely on some whiskey when I wrote this, but (personal belief) I think he is on par with a guy like Hasanov, it's not the deepest weight across the world but I feel some top flight wrestlers will try to dodge Yaz, and the combo of JB/Tsabolov in an attempt to win a gold, and im not 100% sure he beats Ringer at WTT.

I'm sure on the perfect day he could win it all, but with guys like Gadzhimagomedov, Essadollah Akbari, Kurbanov, etc... already showing some solid results at the weight I think the finals are a bit of a long shot. Again on the perfect day where he counters some shots with big throws and what not, maybe he could win, but I think a realistic hope is that when be does lose its to a finalist and he's able to come back and win a Bronze. That said, I think, aside from Maple all of our guys could be finalist if they wrestle an absolutely perfect tournament but if it was a "gambling situation" and I was getting even money, I'd take No medal vs Medal at 79kg (note I hope I'm wrong and he techs the field) but just don't see it. Hasanov stifling him really confirmed my gut, and I'm telling you watch out for Ringer.

Re: Dake, I think you're still being too pessimistic.  He's beaten Hasanov, he's beaten Zaseev, he's beaten Dieringer, he smoked Kurbanov, like you mentioned.  Gadzhimagomedov presents an obvious problem for him, not just because he gave Dake his only loss at 79 so far, but because stylistically it seems like a terrible matchup for Dake.  That said, we don't even know if Gadzhimagomedov will be Russia's rep.  After all, he's won Yarygin twice in the past and gone on to not be the rep.  And if you're giving out even odds (medal vs. no medal) for Dake, I'd put a substantial sum on medal.  

Your point on Ringer is well taken though.  He walked through the Ukrainian tournament, including Hasanov.  People remember the Burroughs / Dake battle, but lost in there was how much the gap between Ringer and Dake had closed between their 3 matches last year.  Dake mopped the floor with him in their first match, then 3-0 at the Open, then 2-1 at WTT.  I'm still picking Dake, but it's far from a sure thing. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Re: Dake, I think you're still being too pessimistic. He's beaten Hasanov, he's beaten Zaseev, he's beaten Dieringer, he smoked Kurbanov, like you mentioned. Gadzhimagomedov presents an obvious problem for him, not just because he gave Dake his only loss at 79 so far, but because stylistically it seems like a terrible matchup for Dake. That said, we don't even know if Gadzhimagomedov will be Russia's rep. After all, he's won Yarygin twice in the past and gone on to not be the rep. And if you're giving out even odds (medal vs. no medal) for Dake, I'd put a substantial sum on medal.

Your point on Ringer is well taken though. He walked through the Ukrainian tournament, including Hasanov. People remember the Burroughs / Dake battle, but lost in there was how much the gap between Ringer and Dake had closed between their 3 matches last year. Dake mopped the floor with him in their first match, then 3-0 at the Open, then 2-1 at WTT. I'm still picking Dake, but it's far from a sure thing.

Well put sir. Very reasonable

I think Gadz will be their rep but we shall see. The Hasanov and Zaseev matches werent comfortable but he did win and I kind of put him on their levels as "medal threat" being how you describe them not necessarily "finalist"

I'll be interested in WTT and as always our draws at every weight.

#Cheers

Some mentioned Japan above — seemed like a fun group of guys. Really supportive of each other. Lots of joy at victory. Seemed to have a photographer they had a lot of fun with. I’ll be rooting for them.

Why would anyone pick Green for gold? Is Chamizo retiring or moving up? Not following logic here.

Isn’t the recent word that Chamizo is going 74kg to challenge Burroughs?

Why would anyone pick Green for gold? Is Chamizo retiring or moving up? Not following logic here.

Yes Chamizo has moved up (wrestled 2 or 3 tournies at 74 this year, hasn't lost)

And it's a non-olympic weight so it'll be thin as usual, and his losses at the last 3 worlds have been

2017 - Lost to Chamizo got silver

2016 - Lost 3-3 to Kurbanov (7th)

2015 lost to Yazdani took Bronze

Why don't you feel he is finalist material?

Edited by spladle08