Sign in to follow this  
Ching

John Smith doesn't know freestyle rules

In the finals, Snyder gutted his opponent for 2 to go up by 11, but then got countered to his own back. Smith was wondering why they didn't stop it immediately for the tech.

Freestyle and Greco don't automatically stop the match on a technical superiority if a sequence is in progress.

He doesn’t need to. Nobody he coaches has made a team in a while.

Zinger!

I was joking in my title, he knows the rules pretty well. That specific rule is pretty obscure and rarely seen. One thing that was funny, he was perplexed when the coaches did not argue that the match was over. They clearly knew the rule. 

I imagine he will have a few Cowboys on the world team very soon.

That means Snyder also isn’t good at remembering the rules either. He clearly let up at the end of the move while he was still in danger, which is what allowed his opponent to hold him for exposure.

Correct, and he is lucky he didn't get pinned because it would have stood. He wasn't fighting it at first and when he realized the ref wasn't stopping it, he started fighting off his back.

That happened in a women's match not so long ago did it not? I believe one woman had the tech secured then got pinned afterwards and she lost by fall officially. Can't remember who it was at this point, just remember it stood out to me.

That happened in a women's match not so long ago did it not? I believe one woman had the tech secured then got pinned afterwards and she lost by fall officially. Can't remember who it was at this point, just remember it stood out to me.

Mayu Mukaida had another world title locked up last year(about to win by tech) and she let up, then got pinned by Vanesa Kaladzinskaya of Belarus in the 53kg finals.

I imagine he knew the rule, but thought the sequence was stopped when Snyder held him on his back. Then Snyder relaxed and he scored the reversal. That is why I was thinking it should've been stopped.

I’ll bet you hate dual championships too.

I love duals and am a big proponent of them. Outside of the NCAA Championships I prefer them to most tournaments. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

There are tons of obscure rules in every sport. You see this type of thing in Baseball, Basketball, and Football where there's some minor rule that sneaks up on a coach or player.

You think not knowing the scoring sequence of a match is obscure? As a multitime world and Olympic champion and one of the most highly regarded coaches in the sport and who many consider the greatest American wrestler of all time I would expect John Smith to be the beacon of knowledge when it comes to freestyle wrestling. We're not talking about some Joe Schmo youth club coach here. Maybe if the rules didn't change so drastically every other year (not literally, I'm exaggerating) your argument would hold more weight. And FYI I could care less what happens in Football, Basketball or Baseball. But then again you justify Smith's lack of knowledge with an insult to his coaching ability. Edited by BigTenFanboy

You think not knowing the scoring sequence of a match is obscure? As a multitime world and Olympic champion and one of the most highly regarded coaches in the sport and who many consider the greatest American wrestler of all time I would expect John Smith to be the beacon of knowledge when it comes to freestyle wrestling. We're not talking about some Joe Schmo youth club coach here. Maybe if the rules didn't change so drastically every other year (not literally, I'm exaggerating) your argument would hold more weight. And FYI I could care less what happens in Football, Basketball or Baseball. But then again you justify Smith's lack of knowledge with an insult to his coaching ability.

How often do you see that rule come into play?  Very rarely does it actually happen. I'm not even sure that particular part of the rule book was changed recently. Folkstyle is also constantly changing its rules.  Change is important to keep pace with the way the sport is changing.  I think you just like bashing on freestyle for some strange reason.  

My comment about his coaching was a joke btw.  I think Smith is one of the best coaches in the country.  

How often do you see that rule come into play? Very rarely does it actually happen. I'm not even sure that particular part of the rule book was changed recently. Folkstyle is also constantly changing its rules. Change is important to keep pace with the way the sport is changing. I think you just like bashing on freestyle for some strange reason.

My comment about his coaching was a joke btw. I think Smith is one of the best coaches in the country.

WOW YOU REALLY ARE INSECURE WITH YOUR LOVE OF FREESTYLE. When the heck did I bash freestyle??? You said the same thing to me in the other thread in regards to James Green. We get it. You love freestyle and can't stand the fact that folk is more popular in the USA. Sorry that hurts your self esteem so much!

Yes the rules in folk have changed but the difference is over the past 40 years the rule changes have been minor tweaks. Freestyle has been COMPLETELY OVERHAULED several times over during the past 20 years. So much so that the style that John Smith won all his world and Olympic medals does not exist anymore and only shares the same name. Its a completely different style. These are facts and if you cant understand or get over that, thats your problem. I love pretty much all styles of wrestling. Freestyle, Folkstyle, Greco Roman, Sambo, Judo, jujitsu, Ssirum, thumb, arm, mud, oil, professional. Heck even beach is not that bad.

But in your INSECURE eyes, freestyle is the real style and everything else is fake. Get over yourself man and go tell mommy to give you a hug. Maybe it'll make you feel better about yourself.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

WOW YOU REALLY ARE INSECURE WITH YOUR LOVE OF FREESTYLE. When the heck did I bash freestyle??? You said the same thing to me in the other thread in regards to James Green. We get it. You love freestyle and can't stand the fact that folk is more popular in the USA. Sorry that hurts your self esteem so much!

Yes the rules in folk have changed but the difference is over the past 40 years the rule changes have been minor tweaks. Freestyle has been COMPLETELY OVERHAULED several times over during the past 20 years. So much so that the style that John Smith won all his world and Olympic medals does not exist anymore and only shares the same name. Its a completely different style. These are facts and if you cant understand or get over that, thats your problem. I love pretty much all styles of wrestling. Freestyle, Folkstyle, Greco Roman, Sambo, Judo, jujitsu, Ssirum, thumb, arm, mud, oil, professional. Heck even beach is not that bad.

But in your INSECURE eyes, freestyle is the real style and everything else is fake. Get over yourself man and go tell mommy to give you a hug. Maybe it'll make you feel better about yourself.

Paragraph 1 of your post:  "Why do you think I bash freestyle?"

Paragraph 2 of your post: "*proceeds to bash freestyle*"

All 3 paragraphs: accuses me of being insecure, yet is an unhinged largely nonsensical rant.  

Paragraph 1 of your post:  "Why do you think I bash freestyle?"

Paragraph 2 of your post: "*proceeds to bash freestyle*"

All 3 paragraphs: accuses me of being insecure, yet is an unhinged largely nonsensical rant.

Paragraph 2 is not a bash. IT'S A FACT! Or do you disagree and thinkmthat freestyle hasnt been COMPLETELY OVERHAULED several times over during the past 20 years?

All the football networks bring in former high level referees because the guys announcing (most of whom played 10+ years in the NFL) don't know all the rules.

Heck, the refs they bring in STILL get it wrong often when they give a ruling on a review. 

Rules are obscure and change, big whoop if you don't have all the minutiae memorized. 

All the football networks bring in former high level referees because the guys announcing (most of whom played 10+ years in the NFL) don't know all the rules.

Heck, the refs they bring in STILL get it wrong often when they give a ruling on a review. 

Rules are obscure and change, big whoop if you don't have all the minutiae memorized. 

Yes, but pointing out the fact that Freestyle as a whole has been overhauled repeatedly over the last 5 Olympic cycles is not a bash on freestyle wrestling. Its a fact.

Freestyle rules changes have not been minute details. The ENTIRE system or rules, scoring, and execution has been changed. AGAIN FACT, NOT A BASH ON FREESTYLE.

Soooo....a little bit of confusion in one particular sequence that you very rarely come across = he doesn't know the rules or fails to meet our expectations

Ok...makes sense.

Edited by Lurker

Soooo....a little bit of confusion in one particular sequence that you very rarely come across = he doesn't know the rules or fails to meet our expectations

Ok...makes sense.

It is always risky to use hyperbole or irony when posting on a message board.

Zinger!

I was joking in my title, he knows the rules pretty well. That specific rule is pretty obscure and rarely seen. One thing that was funny, he was perplexed when the coaches did not argue that the match was over. They clearly knew the rule. 

I imagine he will have a few Cowboys on the world team very soon.