Idaho

So what's the deal with your screen name?

"Greco All American" just seemed a bit too pretentious, even for an "Old Marine Wrestler"

Old (because time stops for no one)

Marine (well, Once...Always)

Wrestler (same, once...always)

How old are you?

I’m 62.

Served 74-98.

@Gantry et al, I knew there was a reason why I liked you.  Chicago wrestling punx!

I used to see David Yow from JL at like Pigface and Ministry shows way back when. Also have lots of fond memories of seeing Screeching Weasel, Los Crudos, the Bollweevils, 8Bark, Slapstick, the Broadways, Lynards Innards etc. at like Reggie's, Empty Bottle, Beat Kitchen and Fireside Bowl (before they had the stage). Oh man, I haven't thought of some of these bands and venues in ages. I wonder if they still exist. That was a really fun time in my life.

EDIT: Omg I can't believe I forgot to mention Cap'n Jazz!! Joan of Arc! Alk3! Lawrence Arms! 

Edited by pamela

@Gantry et al, I knew there was a reason why I liked you.  Chicago wrestling punx!

I used to see David Yow from JL at like Pigface and Ministry shows way back when. Also have lots of fond memories of seeing Screeching Weasel, Los Crudos, the Bollweevils, 8Bark, Slapstick, the Broadways, Lynards Innards etc. at like Reggie's, Empty Bottle, Beat Kitchen and Fireside Bowl (before they had the stage). Oh man, I haven't thought of some of these bands and venues in ages. I wonder if they still exist. That was a really fun time in my life.

EDIT: Omg I can't believe I forgot to mention Cap'n Jazz!! Joan of Arc! Alk3! Lawrence Arms! 

We've undoubtedly been at the same show back in the 90s and didn't know it, likely Torfurky too.  Lynards Innards, there's a band I haven't thought about in ages. 

We've undoubtedly been at the same show back in the 90s and didn't know it, likely Torfurky too.  Lynards Innards, there's a band I haven't thought about in ages. 

I know we have probably been to the same shows (Because of the T&G 25th show). I live in St. Louis. But used to go to Chicago a lot for shows (will actually be up there in 2 weeks for Peter Hook)

I used go up cause my friend owned Skin Graft Records. Some of my favorite Chicago shows the Killdozer "Final Show" W/ Shellac, Hurl and Cash Money @ Empty Bottle. The Shellac W/ David Yow doing Sex Pistols. 

Edited by killdozer

I know we have probably been to the same shows (Because of the T&G 25th show). I live in St. Louis. But used to go to Chicago a lot for shows (will actually be up there in 2 weeks for Peter Hook)

I used go up cause my friend owned Skin Graft Records. Some of my favorite Chicago shows the Killdozer "Final Show" W/ Shellac, Hurl and Cash Money @ Empty Bottle. The Shellac W/ David Yow doing Sex Pistols. 

Heard great things about that Yow/Shellac Sex Pistols show, Halloween at Lounge Ax maybe? 

Haha! It would be funny if we knew each other, at least by face. I remember there was a guy who used to film literally every show at Fireside. I wonder if the footage is online somewhere - we are probably in at least one or two of those videos.

Hahaha! If Martin and Ebro from Crudos and Ben from Screeching Weasel knew they were being discussed on a wrestling website, they'd $#!* themselves. Like Gantry, I went to college at Northern Illinois U with Ebro.

I've been to Reggie's, Beat Kitchen and Empty Bottle, all within the last eight weeks. That said, Fireside was fun, but my favorite place was probably Lounge Ax in Lincoln Park. 1995, at a Rocket From the Crypt show, was the first time I experienced Wesley Willis and his headbutts. My friend Jason and I also briefly hung out with Bill Berry and Mike Mills at that same show. That place was so small and intimate, seeing Man or Astroman? Superchunk, Shellac and I don't remember who else, was a real big deal for me between 1993 and 1996. I think it was co-owned by Jeff Tweedy's (Wilco) wife.

I'm right about the same age as the Cap'n Jazz guys and they were sort of a big thing for my group of friends from 1991 through 1993, but I just couldn't get with them or JoA or the other bands you mentioned. I preferr(ed) Big Black, Life Sentence, Articles of Faith, Crudos, Beer Nuts, Raygun, et al.

Screeching Weasel was another "big" local draw during my high school years, but I have never seen them play. I co-published a fanzine with some friends and Ben Weasel grabbed a copy, called me and offered to write a column for us. After the phone conversation, all I could think was, "Thanks, but nah." Nice dude, but far too much going on in that head of his.

Edited by Tofurky

I like Pegboy, But I'm more partial to Naked Raygun and Effigies( Their previous bands). I saw Pegboy a lot. My favorite live band from Touch and Go was The Jesus Lizard. But I remember seeing Big Black, The Digits and Urge Overkill a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGG time ago.

Pegboy is playing again with Bollweevils (never a fan, but really nice guys) this coming Tuesday... $20 is pricey for a punk rock show. We've been spoiled.

Raygun I love and Effigies were great... even some of their mid-'80s dancier tunes from "Fly On a Wire" and "Ink." John Kezdie came to DeKalb and let me interview him for a story I did on Effigies for my 'zine. Nice guy, SUPER conservative and unapologetic about being a state's attorney and locking up a lot of old punkers. I have always wondered how he and Steve Albini are so close.

I'm too young to have seen Big Black in their day, but did see Dijits a good number of times. I never saw Rick with Supersuckers, though. That would have been fun. Big Black at T&G25 was awesome and Dijits never fail to impress.

My only experience with UO was meeting Nash Kato backstage at a Green Party rally in Chicago I was covering leading up to the 2000 presidential election. He and Eddie Vedder were way shorter than I expected, but very nice people. I had never been that close to Jello Biafra until then and will never stand that close to him again. Not only does he not like capitalism, but he mustn't like deodorant or showering regularly either.

Hahaha! If Martin and Ebro from Crudos and Ben from Screeching Weasel knew they were being discussed on a wrestling website, they'd $#!* themselves. Like Gantry, I went to college at Northern Illinois U with Ebro.

I've been to Reggie's, Beat Kitchen and Empty Bottle, all within the last eight weeks. That said, Fireside was fun, but my favorite place was probably Lounge Ax in Lincoln Park. 1995, at a Rocket From the Crypt show, was the first time I experienced Wesley Willis and his headbutts. My friend Jason and I also briefly hung out with Bill Berry and Mike Mills at that same show. That place was so small and intimate, seeing Man or Astroman? Superchunk, Shellac and I don't remember who else, was a real big deal for me between 1993 and 1996. I think it was co-owned by Jeff Tweedy's (Wilco) wife.

I'm right about the same age as the Cap'n Jazz guys and they were sort of a big thing for my group of friends from 1991 through 1993, but I just couldn't get with them or JoA or the other bands you mentioned. I preferr(ed) Big Black, Life Sentence, Articles of Faith, Crudos, Beer Nuts, Raygun, et al.

Screeching Weasel was another "big" local draw during my high school years, but I have never seen them play. I co-published a fanzine with some friends and Ben Weasel grabbed a copy, called me and offered to write a column for us. After the phone conversation, all I could think was, "Thanks, but nah." Nice dude, but far too much going on in that head of his.

!!!!!!

Oh man, Superchunk is one of my favorite bands ever. The last time I saw them play, actually was in Chicago I think at a street festival before Laura's ears went bad.

It's pretty cool that you still go to shows!  Since we were sorta talking Pegboy/NR, does anyone remember the Chi band, Shot Baker (I know, bad name, not Shotmaker)? I don't even know if they're still around, but they were Pegboy meets NR meets Dillinger Four. 

What was the name of your Zine? Anyone remember Pepito's Folder? He's still around, only in the Bay Area (for a while now) and I guess he's an attorney and part-time professional poker player? Crazy where scene ppl end up.

Pegboy is playing again with Bollweevils (never a fan, but really nice guys) this coming Tuesday... $20 is pricey for a punk rock show. We've been spoiled.

Raygun I love and Effigies were great... even some of their mid-'80s dancier tunes from "Fly On a Wire" and "Ink." John Kezdie came to DeKalb and let me interview him for a story I did on Effigies for my 'zine. Nice guy, SUPER conservative and unapologetic about being a state's attorney and locking up a lot of old punkers. I have always wondered how he and Steve Albini are so close.

I'm too young to have seen Big Black in their day, but did see Dijits a good number of times. I never saw Rick with Supersuckers, though. That would have been fun. Big Black at T&G25 was awesome and Dijits never fail to impress.

My only experience with UO was meeting Nash Kato backstage at a Green Party rally in Chicago I was covering leading up to the 2000 presidential election. He and Eddie Vedder were way shorter than I expected, but very nice people. I had never been that close to Jello Biafra until then and will never stand that close to him again. Not only does he not like capitalism, but he mustn't like deodorant or showering regularly either.

So you are the other wrestler that was a music writer as well. Glad to meet you.

The Dijits (Freaking Auto Correct) were great. Did you ever see his band the Gaza Strippers? Of course my favorite Rick Sims band is the Lee Harvey Oswald Band... They were amazing. 

I saw UO quite a few times.. The best was them opening for Nirvana in Sept of 91. Cobain started a minor riot because bouncers were being a bit rough. Everyone came on stage and Cops were called. When they got there, Noveselic got everyone off stage and then played for 40 more minutes. The bouncers just protected the clubs stuff. So from July to Sept 1991 St. Louis was the place to have a show if you wanted to start a riot.  

Now I know we have been at the same shows.