Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

WVU hires Flynn

I wonder how the possibility of PA either closing or merging some of their state schools might have impacted his decision?  Maybe Edinboro is not around in a few years, so while he has some youth left, move on to another program. 

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pa-state-colleges-in-danger-20170225-story.html

Edited by jeffr_ideal

I wonder how the possibility of PA either closing or merging some of their state schools might have impacted his decision? Maybe Edinboro is not around in a few years, so while he has some youth left, move on to another program.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pa-state-colleges-in-danger-20170225-story.html

I am sure declining enrollment was a factor.

Busy year in the coaching shuffle thus far and congratulations to Tim Flynn for earning this gig.

Who might be on Big Bruce's short list for this position? Maybe I am wrong, but I have to believe that Cliff Moore wants to be more than an assistant coach... maybe?

Why? It’s a much higher profile school and I’m sure he got a nice raise. Plus his new job is less than 3 hours away from his old one.

Ah, it's like in business if you were to hire someone from the company next door to you.  It can be perceived as "not cool"   I don't blame him for leaving.

He has been great for Endiboro wrestling and has done a lot for them. Probably opportunity make more money as he gets older. I think people close to him will have the answer. 

I have just become a WVU Fan.

Frank C

1 hour Endibor 1 1/2 to WVU

I wonder how the possibility of PA either closing or merging some of their state schools might have impacted his decision?  Maybe Edinboro is not around in a few years, so while he has some youth left, move on to another program. 

In the next few years with some of the recent hires it looks like the Big12 could finally be on the upswing.

All good points, but the Big 12 is also a highly volatile conference. I'm not sure when contracts are up and the next round of conference expansion talks will start up again, but there's a possibility that the Big 12 could be a very different conference in the not-so-far future, assuming they are still around, if the Pac, Big Ten, etc. are able to lure two or more of Texas, the Oklahoma schools and/or Kansas away.

I keep wondering if it is the possibility that being DII in every other sport that they may have to go down to DII in wrestling?

No. They are grandfathered. They have a waiver to be in D1 as long as they never leave D1 they don't need to go DII. Once they go DII they can not return to D1.

That is why Millersville was so reluctant to move to DII. They had no budget, no conference, but had some individually but no success to speak of as a team. They were basically a D2 program through and through but they remained in D1 because if they gave it up it was lost and couldn't be recovered. Ultimately they decided to give it up but it didn't make them more competitive. They did better in the PSAC when they were D1 because that was something they could sell recruits on when they had no money. Now they are just another D2 program with no money.

Edinboro had back to back top 5 finishes a couple years ago, 3rd in 2015, far more successful then WVU has been. It will be interesting to see where these programs go from here.

Flynn is a good enough coach that if he has enough $ for coaching salaries and scholarships that he will be a consistent top 15 team in 3-4 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk