Housebuye

Chances of a US Medal at 61kg?

We have a crop of solid guys at this weight, but it is wide open. 

Every other weights for the US has a medal contender, but this one is a bit of a question mark. With that said, nobody expected Gilman to medal last year, or Green to medal in 2015 (interesting that neither won an NCAA champion).

61KG Contenders for the US Trials:

Seth Gross

Kendrick Maple

Stefan Micic

Cody Brewer

Jon Morrison

Tyler Graff

Nashan Garrett

Dardenes

Daton Fix

There are more, but it is difficult to tell who will drop/go up/stay at 61kg with the new weigh ins procedures. It is worth noting that this is the "easiest" weight to make the team - the winning of the US Open will sit in the finals. I imagine everyone shows up to the Open.

I think it comes down to:

Garrett - everyone was so high on him. He seems to have not lived up to the hype yet, but maybe it is taking some time to adjust to freestyle. He has the style and skill to win this. 

Maple - favorite to make the team, but not by a large margin. May have trouble holding the weight. Has some international experience now, and is in the room with Burroughs and Green every day. His style can really benefit from their approach.

Gross - His folkstyle translates well and he did make a junior team. He can score on anyone, but is also weak defensively. His style reminds he of Stieber. If he tightens up his defense a bit, he has a shot. 

Graff - he is always a contender to make the team. He is so hot and cold though. His par terre makes him a threat to anyone domestically, and he can maybe even pull off an upset or two internationally. 

Fix - doubt he goes here. 

Morrision - Beat Gross and Graff a few weeks ago. 

My Pick(s) for the team:

I think Fix wins it if he is at this weight, but I don't think that happens. 

I'm stuck between Maple and Gross. I think Graff is too hot and cold to put together the type of tournament he needs. Gross is improving in each outing.

IF they make the team:

Fix - I think he wins a bronze. He has a ton of international experience and while his U23 performance was weak, I'm sure he learned from it. We are lucky to have a young talent like him.

Gross - I think he is a bit too sloppy to medal right now, however just like Stieber, on the right day he can beat anyone.

Maple - He has the skillset to medal, but doesn't seem to have the best match strategies. He keeps it close with everyone, but I think some of the international guys will out gameplan him and get a takedown/step out at a critical point towards the end of the match. He has a shot at a bronze however. 

The US may need a medal here to win Worlds again. Russia is much better this year than last. We can't just repeat our performance (Which itself would be incredibly difficult). We have to beat it. 

Seems like it is even more wide-open then you say, given there is one more major contenders you didn't even mention:  Joe Colon looked really good winning Schultz a few months back and even got to wrestle at the World Cup.  Seems better at this weight, which is saying something given he made the Finals at 57kg a few years back.

Ramos is going down to 57kg.  Probably getting teched by Colon and losing in the 3rd place match as well (at the Schultz at 61kg) made him think that was his best chance.  Sad we may never see a Ramos/Graff rematch.  Seems impossible they haven't met in freestyle, but true.

Not sure how much he knows, but Nomad seems to think there is a strong chance Maple will be up at 65kg: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6173347-61kg-world-team-trials-primer

If you want a sleeper at this weight, I thought Darrius Little looked pretty good in Cuba, even if his results didn't bear that out.

What is the chance? 10%? 50%? 

10% is probably generous, but in the ballpark.

Edited by rpm002

Yup. What is the chance? 10%? 50%?

Maple looked good, but in WC  will be more strong wrestlers, but Gilman win silver, Snyder win gold in 2015, yes, at 61 we have sharks, so many tough guys, but i think don't afraid of them and show high-level wrestling and everything will turn out

Didn't know WC was plus two, I was thinking Colon got the first match there because Maple was recovering from weighins.

Pretty nuts to think Graff and Ramos never wrestled freestyle.

Pretty sure Ramos and Graff were Fargo AA's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on draw.  Anyone can medal if they get a Gilman type of draw. 

No disrespect to Gilman, but it was the first year of a quad following the Olympics and the weight kinda cleared out. Things will get tougher between now and 2020, so we'll see how he progresses.

For 61kg, I like Nahshon Garrett, but it's hard to be confident in him when he doesn't go out and compete. What's the story?

If Kendric Maple is struggling to make weight, maybe he should go 65kg - esp since (I think) the UWW weigh-in procedures become more strict next year. Also, if Fix actually competes at 61 that might be a good indicator that he'll be at 133 next year in college.

I don't think we have the "grit" yet at 61. I was pleasantly surprised with K.Maple's talent on his feet. I wish he could develop Colons tenacity. I think the rep will be who is hot at the time. Maple, Colon, Graff, Ramos and Garrett all about even. There are just too many horses out there in Iran, Dagestan, Russia..and it looks like Japan too.

Edited by tbert

Pretty sure Ramos and Graff were Fargo AA's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant at the senior level, but even going back to Fargo, I think Graff was in Juniors when Ramos was in Cadets in 2006 and 2007 when they were both there.  So maybe my "never" was really correct after all.

In order to estimate the chances of the US, you have to look at the strengths of the rest of the world.

this is a pretty loaded weight with Russia, Azerbajan, Japan, Cuba Turkey, and Georgia  having some very strong wrestlers.

As others said, there is always a chance, but for this weight, I don't like the US chances

Edited by irani

Well, since we aren't really sure who will be our representative at 61 this year, it's a little early to predict if we can medal at this weight. I would say that Maple appears to have the inside track, but with Jon Morrison winning the Farrell does that put him into the conversation? Also Cory Clark who has been kind of silent since the Yarygin, but may be turn out to be a factor as well.

But let's just say Maple is our guy at 61, I think he's very capable of winning matches there, but like always a lot will depend on the draw.