• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

Why would a school go NAIA rather than NCAA?

#2 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Money, compliance, academics, conference affiliations to name a few.
  • whyme25 and NYWRESTLER94 like this

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Money, compliance, academics, conference affiliations to name a few.

Yes.

The membership fees, the policies on financial aid/scholarships, the local completion, are all major reasons schools go NAIA.

People get caught up in NCAA as being something significant (some people even think they are a government entity that over sees college sports). But really each NCAA division as unique and different as NAIA, NJCAA, and USCAA.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Geography is probably a factor too. I think the majority of NAIA schools are in the midwest, south, and west - not much of a presence in the northeast states.
  • whyme25 likes this

#5 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Geography is probably a factor too. I think the majority of NAIA schools are in the midwest, south, and west - not much of a presence in the northeast states.

They use to have more of a presence in the Northeast. There was a decent number of NAIA programs that moved to the NCAA about ten years ago in the northeast and were even more before that. Reducing travel costs was one of the big reasons for the move.

The NAIA has been the choice for a lot of teams adding college sports for the first time or moving from 2-year to four-year status. One of the key differences is that the NCAA has minimum sport standards which can make it expensive and risky for schools wanting to add sports for the first time.
  • pamela likes this

#6 WRfan1

WRfan1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

I wish all NCAA 3 schools would go back to NAIA.  Less regulation, more ability to give money (in the form of schollies or "talent" awards) and more willingness to grow 

I've gone to football games for D3 schools that were powerhouse NAIA schools 15-20 years and was shocked at what I saw.  The talent drain was unbelievable - it looked like football for uppercrust white kids with limited ability.  Obviously its not like that everywhere, but its definitely a different animal from NAIA. i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.  I'm sure its different in other areas of the country.

#7 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.

That's funny you say that because I most often hear parents saying they will only send their kids to D1 or D3 schools.

Often hear something along the lines of:
"If you're not playing D1 and on a full ride, you're to go to the best school you can and get a quality education."
  • whyme25 likes this

#8 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

I wish all NCAA 3 schools would go back to NAIA.  Less regulation, more ability to give money (in the form of schollies or "talent" awards) and more willingness to grow 

I've gone to football games for D3 schools that were powerhouse NAIA schools 15-20 years and was shocked at what I saw.  The talent drain was unbelievable - it looked like football for uppercrust white kids with limited ability.  Obviously its not like that everywhere, but its definitely a different animal from NAIA. i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.  I'm sure its different in other areas of the country.

A lot of D3 schools don't want to give scholarship money.  That would destroy their budgets.  As an athlete, it sounds like there are better protections in terms of being D3 than NAIA as well (higher academic requirement). 

That's funny you say that because I most often hear parents saying they will only send their kids to D1 or D3 schools.

Often hear something along the lines of:
"If you're not playing D1 and on a full ride, you're to go to the best school you can and get a quality education."

This is the key.  What's the point of going to college if not for education?  If you're not going D1, it makes complete sense to go D3. I've never heard of most of the schools in the NAIA.

Edited by Billyhoyle, 12 April 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#9 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Some of the most prestigious academic institutions in this country compete in Division III for athletics, so if you don't want your kid going to the University of Chicago or Washington U. or Williams College .... well, ok. 

• whyme25, Roadkill, Coach_J and 1 other like this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#10 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

Some of the most prestigious academic institutions in this country compete in Division III for athletics, so if you don't want your kid going to the University of Chicago or Washington U. or Williams College .... well, ok.

Sports fans, or limited to wrestling, are kind of dumb. They equate DI status with academic status.
  • bnwtwg likes this

#11 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

NAIA - No Athletic Investigations Allowed! Seriously, I grew up in a town in the South with two NAIA schools. Both of them, along with the NAIA in general, realize that the more sports you offer, it can increase your overall enrollment.

https://www.google.c...crease.amp.html

There are a lot of kids who want to compete in college. If you get a wrestling team of 30 guys and give out 10 scholarships, the other 20 are paying tuition. It doesn't take much for a program to pay for itself or at least come close. Plus, lots of other auxiliary people associated with sports such as cheerleaders, trainers, etc. can make it a win-win for the school.

#12 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Are there no good D2 academic institutions? Just a legitimate question.

#13 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Less kids leaving football and basketball for the draft after one year.

#14 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

There are good universities. And many in D2 are better than many other in D3.  There are just some universities in D3 that are a notch above, such as the ones JB mentioned.  These are some of the best universities in the country.  The fact that they have wrestling teams is great for the sport because it helps wrestlers enroll and and compete in places they otherwise may not have been admitted to.  

#15 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Colorado School of Mines is the one school that I would say stands out in D2 for their quality of education. There are a few others (UC-San Diego, Hillsdale, Michigan Tech, Stonehill, Azusa Pacific) but none of them offer wrestling.

All in all D2 doesn't have an academic reputation.

It is kind of a awkward position for the D2 schools. They aren't fully committed to athletic excellence like the D1 schools and they don't buy into the D3 model that athletics are an activity for students while they are pursuing their academics. They dabble in both models.

#16 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Your post is so wrong in so many ways.  

• tclark likes this

#17 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Colorado School of Mines is the one school that I would say stands out in D2 for their quality of education. There are a few others (UC-San Diego, Hillsdale, Michigan Tech, Stonehill, Azusa Pacific) but none of them offer wrestling.

It is kind of a awkward position for the D2 schools. They aren't fully committed to athletic excellence like the D1 schools and they don't buy into the D3 model that athletics are an activity for students while they are pursuing their academics. They dabble in both models.

Great post about the middle-ground that "most" D2 schools find themselves.

I will add that there were several great academic institutions that wrestled D2 in the 80's that were cut by T9.

#18 Swayz

Swayz

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

This is true.  I tried to recruit kids from Northeastern states, and I would tell them I am from an NAIA school,  and they would ask, "so you are DIII?"  Drove me nuts.   Some of the kids that asked that probably would fit best in NAIA.   NAIA is the only division that allows you to qualify more than one wrestler at a weight too (up to 6  weights)...as you can take 12 to your National qualifying tournament.  However,  when it comes to duals, invitationals, or qualifying tournaments,  you have to have so many wrestlers either with an elevated GPA,  or they have to be a badass, as you are pigeonholed on some lengths with your lineup.   Someone that knows that rule a little better can explain it.... I've been out of it for a few years.

#19 Swayz

Swayz

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Pretty sure Truman State has some high standards too. 

#20 mostTD

mostTD
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:55 AM

Was meaning to start a thread about this last month.

Did anyone watch the NAIA finals on ESPN?  Had to be in the top 5 best televised wrestling events I saw all season.

Elevated mat+ boxing lights+ shoulder operated cameras+ big crowd+ long walkout+ on mat interviews+ Iowa crowd = wow 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users