Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Why NAIA?

Money, compliance, academics, conference affiliations to name a few.

Yes.

The membership fees, the policies on financial aid/scholarships, the local completion, are all major reasons schools go NAIA.

People get caught up in NCAA as being something significant (some people even think they are a government entity that over sees college sports). But really each NCAA division as unique and different as NAIA, NJCAA, and USCAA.

Geography is probably a factor too. I think the majority of NAIA schools are in the midwest, south, and west - not much of a presence in the northeast states.

They use to have more of a presence in the Northeast. There was a decent number of NAIA programs that moved to the NCAA about ten years ago in the northeast and were even more before that. Reducing travel costs was one of the big reasons for the move.

The NAIA has been the choice for a lot of teams adding college sports for the first time or moving from 2-year to four-year status. One of the key differences is that the NCAA has minimum sport standards which can make it expensive and risky for schools wanting to add sports for the first time.

I wish all NCAA 3 schools would go back to NAIA.  Less regulation, more ability to give money (in the form of schollies or "talent" awards) and more willingness to grow 

I've gone to football games for D3 schools that were powerhouse NAIA schools 15-20 years and was shocked at what I saw.  The talent drain was unbelievable - it looked like football for uppercrust white kids with limited ability.  Obviously its not like that everywhere, but its definitely a different animal from NAIA. i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.  I'm sure its different in other areas of the country.

i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.

That's funny you say that because I most often hear parents saying they will only send their kids to D1 or D3 schools.

Often hear something along the lines of:

"If you're not playing D1 and on a full ride, you're to go to the best school you can and get a quality education."

I wish all NCAA 3 schools would go back to NAIA.  Less regulation, more ability to give money (in the form of schollies or "talent" awards) and more willingness to grow 

I've gone to football games for D3 schools that were powerhouse NAIA schools 15-20 years and was shocked at what I saw.  The talent drain was unbelievable - it looked like football for uppercrust white kids with limited ability.  Obviously its not like that everywhere, but its definitely a different animal from NAIA. i would never send my kid to a D3 school, either NAIA or D2 or D1 for me.  I'm sure its different in other areas of the country.

A lot of D3 schools don't want to give scholarship money.  That would destroy their budgets.  As an athlete, it sounds like there are better protections in terms of being D3 than NAIA as well (higher academic requirement). 

That's funny you say that because I most often hear parents saying they will only send their kids to D1 or D3 schools.

"If you're not playing D1 and on a full ride, you're to go to the best school you can and get a quality education."

This is the key.  What's the point of going to college if not for education?  If you're not going D1, it makes complete sense to go D3. I've never heard of most of the schools in the NAIA.
Edited by Billyhoyle

Some of the most prestigious academic institutions in this country compete in Division III for athletics, so if you don't want your kid going to the University of Chicago or Washington U. or Williams College .... well, ok.

Sports fans, or limited to wrestling, are kind of dumb. They equate DI status with academic status.

NAIA - No Athletic Investigations Allowed! Seriously, I grew up in a town in the South with two NAIA schools. Both of them, along with the NAIA in general, realize that the more sports you offer, it can increase your overall enrollment.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/15/struggling-small-colleges-are-using-lure-sports-programs-to-maintain-increase.amp.html

There are a lot of kids who want to compete in college. If you get a wrestling team of 30 guys and give out 10 scholarships, the other 20 are paying tuition. It doesn't take much for a program to pay for itself or at least come close. Plus, lots of other auxiliary people associated with sports such as cheerleaders, trainers, etc. can make it a win-win for the school.

Are there no good D2 academic institutions? Just a legitimate question.

There are good universities. And many in D2 are better than many other in D3.  There are just some universities in D3 that are a notch above, such as the ones JB mentioned.  These are some of the best universities in the country.  The fact that they have wrestling teams is great for the sport because it helps wrestlers enroll and and compete in places they otherwise may not have been admitted to.  

Colorado School of Mines is the one school that I would say stands out in D2 for their quality of education. There are a few others (UC-San Diego, Hillsdale, Michigan Tech, Stonehill, Azusa Pacific) but none of them offer wrestling.

All in all D2 doesn't have an academic reputation.

It is kind of a awkward position for the D2 schools. They aren't fully committed to athletic excellence like the D1 schools and they don't buy into the D3 model that athletics are an activity for students while they are pursuing their academics. They dabble in both models.

Your post is so wrong in so many ways.  

Colorado School of Mines is the one school that I would say stands out in D2 for their quality of education. There are a few others (UC-San Diego, Hillsdale, Michigan Tech, Stonehill, Azusa Pacific) but none of them offer wrestling.

It is kind of a awkward position for the D2 schools. They aren't fully committed to athletic excellence like the D1 schools and they don't buy into the D3 model that athletics are an activity for students while they are pursuing their academics. They dabble in both models.

Great post about the middle-ground that "most" D2 schools find themselves.

I will add that there were several great academic institutions that wrestled D2 in the 80's that were cut by T9.

Geography is probably a factor too. I think the majority of NAIA schools are in the midwest, south, and west - not much of a presence in the northeast states.

This is true.  I tried to recruit kids from Northeastern states, and I would tell them I am from an NAIA school,  and they would ask, "so you are DIII?"  Drove me nuts.   Some of the kids that asked that probably would fit best in NAIA.   NAIA is the only division that allows you to qualify more than one wrestler at a weight too (up to 6  weights)...as you can take 12 to your National qualifying tournament.  However,  when it comes to duals, invitationals, or qualifying tournaments,  you have to have so many wrestlers either with an elevated GPA,  or they have to be a badass, as you are pigeonholed on some lengths with your lineup.   Someone that knows that rule a little better can explain it.... I've been out of it for a few years.

Pretty sure Truman State has some high standards too. 

Was meaning to start a thread about this last month.

Did anyone watch the NAIA finals on ESPN?  Had to be in the top 5 best televised wrestling events I saw all season.

Elevated mat+ boxing lights+ shoulder operated cameras+ big crowd+ long walkout+ on mat interviews+ Iowa crowd = wow 

Truman State (Missouri) is Div 2 and always on the list of Best Values for colleges in the Midwest by US News. My brother played soccer there in the early to mid 2000's. His incoming freshman class had an avg. ACT of 26. I want to say it's around $8000 a year and they have a wrestling team, as well.

Edited by Warren_Haynes

Truman State is a quality school. My post was not meant to be disparaging to any of the schools within D2, there are many schools within D2 that I would have no problem sending my kids to for their education.

However, the bulk of the schools in D2, and even the better ones, are not as highly regarded as those in D1 and D3. That was my only point.

The reason I mentioned Colorado School of Mines is precisely because it would be one of the elite schools in any division.

Since the US News Rankings were mentioned:

Colorado School of Mines

- #29 Top Public National Universities

- #75 Top National Universities

Other schools with similar rankings: Virginia Tech, Worcester Polytechnic Institute , UMass, American, Stevens Institute, Texas A&M, Iowa, Baylor

Truman State

- #1 Top Public Regional Universities, Midwest

- #8 Top Regional Universities, Midwest

Other schools with similar rankings: Northern Iowa, Drake, John Carroll, Grand Valley State, North Central, Evansville

Two reasons come up quite a bit in the kids and parents I've spoken with - 1) Cost.  D2 and NAIA are more often public, and cheaper, and 2) D3's aren't allowed to offer scholarship money and kids know that - a little more prestige with schools that don't force you to pay your own way.  

Two reasons come up quite a bit in the kids and parents I've spoken with - 1) Cost.  D2 and NAIA are more often public, and cheaper, and 2) D3's aren't allowed to offer scholarship money and kids know that - a little more prestige with schools that don't force you to pay your own way.

NAIA is almost all private schools. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NAIA_institutions

D2 is majority public though.

I won't comment on the cost issue since cost is determined individually for each students and individually by each school. For one student, one school, in one division may be more, or less, than for another student or another school in the same division.