Sign in to follow this  
DF

Still over on day of weigh-ins starter pack

Those pictures bring back a lot of memories.

At FDU we had a "hot room" next to the boiler room.

We built a shelf near the ceiling that you could lay on and sweat.

The temperature was well over 100 degrees.

Once, I decided to drop down 2 weight classes  to wrestle an Olympian.

Thing is, I decided 2 days before the match,when our guy in that weight class got hurt.

That meant losing 16 pounds.

I jogged for hours in sweats and a rubber suit.

Changing every time they got soaked.

That got me within about 5 lbs.

So then I spent 3+ hours in a whirlpool,in a rubber suit.

Made weight.

Too bad the Olympian didn't.

The only saving grace,at that time we weighed in 8 hours before the match.

So I had plenty of time to rehydrate.

Actually,started drinking  2 quarts of Gatorade when I stepped off the scale.

Memories? OK.  Go right ahead if you dare to kill yourself.  Get caught and you're off the team.

I wrestled long before the NCAA put  the 1998 rules in place which restricted how you can cut weight.

So "getting caught" was not an issue.

In fact,the whirlpool I used was at the team trainer's health club.

I wore a rubber suit at practice all through high school and college.

I'm still here,with no ill effects,except i still hate whirlpools.

What about turning all the showers on hot and dragging the bike in to cut in a makeshift steamroom?

I always had a theory that the steam room didn't work because my skin was absorbing the water like a sponge.  I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.  

I always had a theory that the steam room didn't work because my skin was absorbing the water like a sponge.  I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.  

If that's the case, swimmers would never need to drink water.

My freshman year after practice I was still 7 lbs over with nothing left to lose and a dual schedule next evening. A senior told me to rub my body with "liquid heat", put on the rubber suit, turn on the showers full blast hot and jog in place at home. Big mistake with the liquid heat making its way to the sensitive area. I screamed like a baby. My mom told me to quit whining.  This was mid 70s when coaches and parents were old school. 

If that's the case, swimmers would never need to drink water.

A steam room is similar to a very humid day.

You sweat,but the sweat can't evaporate,it just sits on your skin.

That's why you feel so uncomfortable.

if you wanted to cut weight in a steam room you kept changing you shirt or wiping yourself down to try and sweat more.

if you wanted to cut weight in a steam room you kept changing you shirt or wiping yourself down to try and sweat more.

yep

Is there some trick the MMA guys use nowadays involving sodium manipulation or something? Something about overloading on salt several days out and then cutting it completely 2-3 days prior to weigh-ins.

I may not have my facts straight, but I think there's now a scientific (and probably dangerous) approach to dropping all the water weight.

Is there some trick the MMA guys use nowadays involving sodium manipulation or something? Something about overloading on salt several days out and then cutting it completely 2-3 days prior to weigh-ins.

I may not have my facts straight, but I think there's now a scientific (and probably dangerous) approach to dropping all the water weight.

You water load 2 gallons a day from Sunday to Wednesday.  .5 gallon Thursday.  No sodium or sugar all week.  Cutting all Thursday and Friday.  Your body creates a hormone called aldosterone which is triggered by all the water.  Aldosterone makes your body get rid of water.  Add all that aldosterone to a normal water weight cut and you can cut a lot and its a lot easier.  However, you screw up just a little bit, you miss weight.

Or use you student id to remove the sweat.

Memories? OK.  Go right ahead if you dare to kill yourself.  Get caught and you're off the team.

In honor of RYouAskingMe

Memories

by Idaho

Way before you were born, we put on the sacks

There was no regulation...those were the facts

We're older than you, way tougher too

No such thing as Kombucha or slime called Tofu

We didn't kill ourselves, and we never missed weight

Man purses and tide pods will be your gens fate

P.S. Don't tell coach I wrote this poem, I might get kicked off the team.

I wrestled long before the NCAA put the 1998 rules in place which restricted how you can cut weight.

So "getting caught" was not an issue.

In fact,the whirlpool I used was at the team trainer's health club.

I wore a rubber suit at practice all through high school and college.

I'm still here,with no ill effects,except i still hate whirlpools.

No ill effects... that you know of.

No ill effects... that you know of.

. If I could go back, I would have wrestled at a healthy weight and concentrated on technique. I was thinking of some of the spirts-professions who cut weight. Add others that I don’t mention now: Wrestling, UFC, Boxing, Judo( I’m guessing), Jockeys, Gymnasts, Dancers-Ballerinas and Models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled 20 pounds to wrestle a 2 time state champ my Jr season, right after football season no less (so my conditioning was garbage anyway). Went from 188 to 168, and it was one of the hardest things I ever did. My reward? A colossal 15-3 beatdown. I was sucked out and weak, the things that made me special (strength/endurance) were gone. After that I never pulled weight again and wrestled wherever weight I was at (178 my Jr year, after that beatdown at the hands of Sinor). 

The next year I wrestled 190 but never weighed over 184 the whole season. It was nice not having to worry about weight, and I kinda looked down on the guys who had weight control issues every week. Just move up a weight, damn.

I pulled 20 pounds to wrestle a 2 time state champ my Jr season, right after football season no less (so my conditioning was garbage anyway). Went from 188 to 168, and it was one of the hardest things I ever did. My reward? A colossal 15-3 beatdown. I was sucked out and weak, the things that made me special (strength/endurance) were gone. After that I never pulled weight again and wrestled wherever weight I was at (178 my Jr year, after that beatdown at the hands of Sinor).

The next year I wrestled 190 but never weighed over 184 the whole season. It was nice not having to worry about weight, and I kinda looked down on the guys who had weight control issues every week. Just move up a weight, damn.

Basically the same story for me though I cut to 155 at six two in my sophomore year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

Damn!  It is that simple?!  I thought 190 and 130 were apples and oranges.