• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:12 AM

I see that Kyle Snyder has a letter to wrestling. It was a really good idea when Kobe did it for Basketball.

It seems like this is ussually the case in wrestling. Everything that is deemed cool comes from other sports. Heck, you can't hear the hodge without someone saying it's the heisman for wrestling. The pin chain is wrestlings turnover chain. March Matness?? What the heck. Is anyone capable of something original?
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#2 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:13 AM

So what's your idea?
  • scribe likes this

#3 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:25 AM

To point out an issue so to discuss why it happens and what are some possible solutions. Hopefully wrestling will at the very least avoid doing the same ole thing over again and again. You don't see value in that IronChef? Or is it better to ignore and pretend like it's not a thing. I don't have a solution off the top of my head, but if you don't see discussion as valuable, then why be on a forum at all?

Edited by russelscout, 14 April 2018 - 05:35 AM.

"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#4 potentiallydangerous

potentiallydangerous
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

In a country where half the people get their opinions from Rachel Maddow and the other half from Sean Hannity, it's a good idea to dumb it down to get their attention.

Edited by potentiallydangerous, 14 April 2018 - 10:20 AM.

• cbg, cjc007, russelscout and 5 others like this

#5 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

In a country where half the people get their opinions from Rachel Maddow and the other half from Sean Hannity, it's a good idea to dumb it down to get their attention.

Post of the year!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#6 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

Do you have any better ideas?

You really only have two good examples. Calling the Hodge the Heisman of wrestling is just the easiest way to explain it to the average person.

Edited by CoachWrestling, 14 April 2018 - 10:59 AM.

• GockeS likes this

#7 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Cause when wrestlers think of something on our own we decide to tuck our sweats into our socks.

• zhawk, Witherman, steamboat_charlie and 5 others like this

#8 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

Cause when wrestlers think of something on our own we decide to tuck our sweats into our socks.

Or jackets into sweat pants.

#9 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

wait, we want the common fan? or we don't?

if we do everything original, how will we explain it?

the common fan understands what the heisman is.

#10 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

btw, both of those are good ideas.

i see lots of kids who aren't wrestlers walking around in those weird pants.

#11 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

John Heisman had a distinguished life. He certainly accomplished a lot as a coach & administrator. Hodge was a great wrestler and could crush an apple in his hand but what were his other accomplishments?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/John_Heisman

#12 ResiliteMarine

ResiliteMarine
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:20 AM

#TakeaFriendToAWrestlingMatch

#13 ohcomeon

ohcomeon
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:38 AM

Lets start a month where all teams wear a certain color singlet to raise awareness for ringworm/impetigo/herpes? I think that could catch on.

#14 cmsu34

cmsu34

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:46 AM

Wish i skipped this thread

#15 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

You will see that wrestling frequently stumbles over their own ideas.

"This space for rent"

#16 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

we can just start calling the Heisman the Hodge Trophy for college football. boom, problem solved. 

any more brain busters? 

#17 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

we can just start calling the Heisman the Hodge Trophy for college football. boom, problem solved. 

any more brain busters?

Is it really that much harder to say the Hodge goes to the best wrestler regardless of weight, than it is to say it is the heisman of wrestling.

I get the vibe on here that most would say that there is not an issue at all and I am silly for even bring this up.

I'm fine with that. Between the echo chamber of the wrestling forums and work, where no cares about wrestling at all, its hard to tell if the presentation of our sport has any affect on viewership, or if it is always just die hard fans.

Maybe riding in the wake of other sports is the best way to grow fans. However, I am a firm believer we must differentiate or die.

What does that mean for Wrestling? Hard to say. As an image, fun and tactical wrestling seems to be the new message of some program in recruiting, while others embrace the more stoic message of the past. How is that packaged up and sold to the parents, students and potential fans? Idk. We do have more programs reaching higher attendance numbers, but no dual championships and one conference is waaay better than all the others. We have way more interesting characters and high achieving freshman coming in, but most casual fans don't know who these guys are. How can that be changed? Or can it be changed?

Is it unrealistic to expect that wrestling grows much beyond where it is now, and will we continue to have to use other sports as an example to make our sport more relatable?

#18 grappler6

grappler6

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

Trying to get wrestling to be more main stream, by using analogies and/gimmicks that are mainstream makes sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • steamboat_charlie and nighthawk21 like this

used to be ocho, now I'm me

Follow me on Twitter or I'll follow you in real life. @CodyOcho5

#19 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:17 AM

Maybe riding in the wake of other sports is the best way to grow fans. However, I am a firm believer we must differentiate or die.

you're probably right. if people have no way of telling the difference between college wrestling and college football then we are likely in big trouble. 

#20 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:44 AM

you know why no one at your office cares about wrestling? they didn't wrestle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users