• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

All americans do focus on stamina, gym, never tired on the mat, i like so much taylor, my fav wrestler, he is as tech and plastic like me, and about Snyder, he does Bench press 200 kg, for what? idk, he's 2x world champ he knows better. But i never train in gym, never do cross,  I was always weaker in physical strength in the fight. I'm very weak physically, i like wrestling, it's like art for me, now many wrestlers turned wrestling into sumo, only push and step out, i get relax when wrestle, I enjoy the wrestling- Ilyas Bekbulatov

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin, 15 April 2018 - 12:20 AM.

• Coach_J, Eagle26 and GoNotQuietly like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#2 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for posting.  That's the 3rd or 4th time I've heard a Russian express some concern about Snyder's weight training.  They might be right... at a certain point you sacrifice flexibility and range of motion for strength, right?  Maybe it doesn't matter... doesn't seem to be hurting Snyder in any case. 

• Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin likes this

#3 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Some of these guys who claim to be "weak" are actually exceptionally strong in terms of positioning and functional strength.  The Russians and Eastern Euros I wrestled were some of the strongest people I ever competed against in terms of trying to move them and create breaks in their position.  I was big into lifting and had well above average strength in weight training terms but they made me feel like the weakling.

• Buckeyebison, spladle08, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin and 1 other like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#4 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

Some of these guys who claim to be "weak" are actually exceptionally strong in terms of positioning and functional strength.  The Russians and Eastern Euros I wrestled were some of the strongest people I ever competed against in terms of trying to move them and create breaks in their position.  I was big into lifting and had well above average strength in weight training terms but they made me feel like the weakling.

There's also a bit of exaggeration going on when they say things like "I never train in the gym" or "I don't do strength training."  What they really mean is that they don't do much traditional weight training with free weights.  They do other things like heavy ropes, weighted pull ups, body weight exercises, etc.

• Coach_J likes this

#5 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:14 AM

I wonder f he trains with that Russian techno bumping in the background? 

I looked him up in foeldeak, may be th ebest guy to never wrestle in worlds or olympics.   Maybe he should hit the weights and work on a weakness or two.

He schooled Godcalf:

#6 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:40 AM

I wonder f he trains with that Russian techno bumping in the background? 

I looked him up in foeldeak, may be th ebest guy to never wrestle in worlds or olympics.   Maybe he should hit the weights and work on a weakness or two.

He schooled Godcalf:

Bekbulatov is awesome.  Shocking that he hasn't added a world championship to his accolades but that's the kind of depth you're dealing with in Russia.  4x Yarygin champ... pretty incredible. 

• Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin likes this

#7 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

at a certain point you sacrifice flexibility and range of motion for strength, right? 

Only if you're not training in your full range of motions.  Otherwise, lifting weights should increase ROM.  Think more olympic lifter (snatch, C&J) and less powerlifter (bench press, squat, dead)

• MikePorcelli, GranbyTroll, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin and 1 other like this

#8 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

You don't need to spend much time in the weight rom if you load up on steroids!!
  • KSchlosser likes this

#9 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Only if you're not training in your full range of motions.  Otherwise, lifting weights should increase ROM.  Think more olympic lifter (snatch, C&J) and less powerlifter (bench press, squat, dead)

Fair enough, but at the very least you run the risk of decreasing ROM by over-training.  I know they say lifting with full range of motion can actually improve flexibility... it just goes against what feels like common knowledge.  How many people actually lift that way? Especially when we're talking about the kind of weight that Snyder puts up.  If anyone is disciplined enough to train exactly the right way, it's him, but still. 

#10 Buckeyebison

Buckeyebison

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

I wrestled with the Russians in '90s. One Russian is very soft. He doesn't use strength at all but uses the very specific techniques to trap me a lot. His soft approach certainly confuse hell out of my mental and physical. He easily overcome me at every time.

The other Russian doesn't use weight lifting but uses a variety of exercise such as heavy chain, large tire, heavy rope, etc. He is very quick and uses very specific techniques to trap my arm. It was painful.

These Russians mainly focused on techniques rather than conditioning. The only thing is that they may be bit out of breath toward the end.

These Russians are top with very deep depth. I admire them.
  • spladle08 and Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin like this

#11 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

When we trained in Russia and Belarus, they had the giant hammer and tractor tire to bang on--great for torso/core strength.  In addition, ropes, peg boards, chin up bars.  They also said they took kids down to a local river where they lifted and tossed big stones.  When I trained in Sweden, they had a very thorough system of buddy carries and lifts, again very much geared toward the core.  The Cuban I've worked with also did buddy carries/lifts--incredibly strong guy.  All very exceptionally innovative, intelligent people.

• spladle08, MikePorcelli, GranbyTroll and 3 others like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#12 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

Gudeuv doesn't lift...... right

• GranbyTroll and AllISeeIsBronze like this

#13 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:27 AM

Fair enough, but at the very least you run the risk of decreasing ROM by over-training.  I know they say lifting with full range of motion can actually improve flexibility... it just goes against what feels like common knowledge.  How many people actually lift that way? Especially when we're talking about the kind of weight that Snyder puts up.  If anyone is disciplined enough to train exactly the right way, it's him, but still. 

Snyder, and the Ohio State guys specifically, work with Dustin Myers..one of the best wrestling strength and conditioning guys out there. We also have many professional coaches at the IOC, and the RTCs who can program for strength as well as mobility. It's much more common to address flexibility and imbalance now than it was a couple decades ago.

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#14 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Gudeuv doesn't lift...... right

oh nyum...u still live...i though russian fans killed u lol 

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#15 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

oh nyum...u still live...i though russian fans killed u lol

Lol they could try, but I’d pack em up like Russian nesting dolls

#16 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Lol they could try, but I’d pack em up like Russian nesting dolls

i know u...u are hater of Russian wrestlers...okay, that's ur choice 

#17 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Changing gears a little bit, but Abdul, did you ever meet Khabib or Zabit? Great fighters!

#18 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

One more thing since I went a little mma here, would love to see Ben Askren fight GSP. 

Back to this thread, always thought Bekbulatov was one of the best freestylers in the world. Obviously there's more than just one way to train. Every champion is different.

• Alwayswrestling likes this

#19 AllISeeIsBronze

AllISeeIsBronze

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

At the end of the day, resistance is resistance, whether in the form of a barbell or your own body. As long as you are overloading it in some form of way (heavier load for deadlifts, more reps for pullups, shorter rest periods, etc), you are probably going to see some adaptations by your body. No doubt many of the Russians are ridiculously strong with their functional training, but to say they don't do any weightlifting (even comparing to Snyder's freak workouts) is a little disingenious.

#20 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

The quote that matters:"he's 2x world champ, he knows better." 

Snyder does know better. All other factors being roughly equal, the stronger guy wins. The Russians would not be risking disqualification with anabolics otherwise. Strength is a major reason why Snyder is the best wrestler in the world, and every Russian who says lifting is time poorly spent would be better were they to lift consistently.

• TheOhioState, herma48852 and AllISeeIsBronze like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users