Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

Gable at the US Open...

An interesting thing about Gable is that he is the first wrestler that I can recall who has gone completely unbeaten in high school competition, both in-season and out of season. All the other top high school wrestlers have taken a loss somewhere, at some point but Stevenson hasn't lost since he was 13 wrestling the Minnesota High School state tournament, at least that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong).

All the other great took a loss or two in high school at some point.

Mark Hall lost several times to Bo Nickal, once at Jr. Worlds and once to A. Valencia.

Kyle Snyder split four matches with Jaden Cox and lost at Jr. worlds to Gogaev as a Senior. 

Spencer Lee lost to Fix twice and Desanto (smaller than Fix and torn ACL vs. Desanto but still). 

Aaron Pico had Heil and several losses at Junior Worlds (and of course many losses on the senior circuit)

Daton Fix was beaten at Super 32 by Karam, split with Suriano and took some losses at age group world events. 

Logan Stieber lost to David Taylor, twice to Tony Ramos in freestyle in one day once, and several at the senior level of course. 

Etc. Etc. 

Of course, you can argue that the talent pool is much thinner at heavyweight at high school, and you'd certainly be right about that- but winning consistently at the World Level at Heavyweight in age group wrestling where your opponents are 2-3 years younger than you is completely unprecedented.   Consider how rare it is to see a freshman win state at heavyweight in high school (a real freshman, not of the 17 year old freshman variety).... I bet there are less than five we can name who have won in top quality states (Nevills brothers and), so I think that puts in perspective how freakish it is to be dominating at the World Level giving up 2-3 years of age in a weight class where age makes a bigger difference. 

That said, I think he's a year or two away from being able to knock off any of the big dogs at this weight class- Gwiz, Coon, Zach Rey etc.  I see him pushing those guys and making them work for the win, but getting a W seems like a stretch at 17 for even this Gable.  Against any in the next tier below he stands a good chance to win imo. 

If he lost in the Minnesota State HS tournament, didn't he lose in HS competition?

Gable - is a guy named Dan.

This kid is Gable Steveson. I doubt he becomes what Dan is.

So if my mother had given me the name Schwarzenegger Shuck, I’d try to make the best of it like Gable seems to be trying to do.

60baa81be34297a01d6f335777825a7a.jpg

Edited by headshuck

Has it been noted that his name is now showing on flo-arena as an entrant (first time I'm seeing it in there) , glad he's seemingly going to wrestle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We all knew he was going to wrestle at the U.S. open when he said it and flowrestling reported it. You're the only one that seemed to doubt the reporting.

We all knew he was going to wrestle at the U.S. open when he said it and flowrestling reported it. You're the only one that seemed to doubt the reporting.

Just like when it was reported about the Bill Ferrell?

Edited by spladle08

Interesting Varner entered at Heavy, wonder how he will do against the bigger heavies.

*Note I know he has competed at Heavy in the past, just can't remember any noteworthy results

Edited by spladle08