• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Millhof looked like a small 125, doubt he could do anything at 133. On my mind now after the excitement of Mason Smith transferring in,

Where does that leave Navonte Demison?

He peaked as a Senior in HS. He may come around to be a solid addition to the dual line up, but not a sure thing AA guy. He showed a borderline dynamic style, versus boring Cali style of kids wrestling the same guys since tiny kids, and then never turned a corner. The exceptions in California are the kids who wrestled everywhere and and everybody (Valencias for example). A lot of Cali wrestling is Central Valley dominated and coaches in that area made a conscience decision to stay local and forgo national stuff and all international style wrestling. Good idea to win or place in California state. Not so much in getting kids ready for the next level.  Now they are finding that guys are not getting recruited. Others (like Belshay) can't adapt to the next level and implode. They may be rethinking this, just this year, but are now behind the curve.

#82 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Millhof looked like a small 125, doubt he could do anything at 133. On my mind now after the excitement of Mason Smith transferring in,

Where does that leave Navonte Demison?

I watched him a few times mat side and I thought he was pretty average for 125 - He looked bigger than Bresser to me. 

#83 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

redacted

Edited by hammerlockthree, 16 May 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#84 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:56 AM

Maybe a shot, but I wouldn't characterize his podium chances as a "fairly good shot" after consecutive R24 finishes at NCAA.

Amazing how people ONLY  look at the NCAA tournament results.  Look at his progression each season AND who he lost to at NCAA's and how.

Now, no one is saying he is a lock, but he will be top 10 to start the season and I would say that puts you EXACTLY into the "fairly good shot" category.

Remember, a fairly good shot isn't the same as saying the odds of him AA'ing are fairly good.  It just means his chances are as good as anyone outside the top 6 or so.

Finally, 141 thins out a bit at the top with Meredith, Jack and Heil graduating.  Plus, there are some rumors that some may end up at 149.

After Yianni(may end up at 149), McKenna, Eierman and Lee, I would say he has as good a shot as anyone remaining.

• Housebuye likes this

#85 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:08 AM

Amazing how people ONLY look at the NCAA tournament results. Look at his progression each season AND who he lost to at NCAA's and how.

Now, no one is saying he is a lock, but he will be top 10 to start the season and I would say that puts you EXACTLY into the "fairly good shot" category.

Remember, a fairly good shot isn't the same as saying the odds of him AA'ing are fairly good. It just means his chances are as good as anyone outside the top 6 or so.

Finally, 141 thins out a bit at the top with Meredith, Jack and Heil graduating. Plus, there are some rumors that some may end up at 149.

After Yianni(may end up at 149), McKenna, Eierman and Lee, I would say he has as good a shot as anyone remaining.

Point taken.

IMO, NCAA Results are a fairly good indicator of future performance.

I do disagree that he showed "progression" as his 2018 NCAA performance was exactly the same as 2017 NCAA (R24). He was still 3 quality wins from reaching the podium.

Maybe a different room will improve his chances ? Wish the best for him.

Edited by Show_Me, 17 May 2018 - 05:45 AM.

#86 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

Point taken.

IMO, NCAA Results are a fairly good indicator of future performance.

I do disagree that he showed "progression" as his 2018 NCAA performance was exactly the same as 2017 NCAA (R24). He was still 3 quality wins from reaching the podium.

Maybe a different room will improve his chances ? Wish the best for him.

You said point taken and then immediately used the same argument to dispute his progression. He was 30-5 going into NCAAs and was a Midlands Champ.

Compare that to 23-12(going into NCAAs) the year before and then barely over .500 his first year. His progression has been steady and considerable.

Hell, he was a 10 seed this past season, won his 1st Match and then lost 4-3 to the 7 seed and had the misfortune of drawing Lee immediately after that.

All that said, just watch a match or 2 from each year. The improvement is very obvious.

#87 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

You said point taken and then immediately used the same argument to dispute his progression..

You made some valid points about his losses at NCAA and 141 clearing out somewhat. Hence, "point taken".

That doesn't mean I agreed with 100% of your post. Get over it already.

#88 gobraves101905

gobraves101905

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Norfleet and Courtney in the Jr World team finals.

#89 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:47 AM

Norfleet looks really good

• Housebuye likes this

#90 gobraves101905

gobraves101905

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Zahid the man. Bring on the recruits to Tempe. The weather is great. And the wrestling and training is top notch.

• Housebuye likes this

#91 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

Zahid the man. Bring on the recruits to Tempe. The weather is great. And the wrestling and training is top notch.

Jacori Teemer will be a force. Courtney looked amazing. Zahid is a heavy favorite imo. Anthony may get on the podium in a weaker 165 class. Shields is s returning AA. Hall has a shot. Maruca is right there for a podium spot in a weaker 149. I don’t know what they will do at 125, but if one can bump to 133, ASU would have an AA contender (or returning AA) in 9 weights.

They will likely have 8 ranked guys to start the season. Super impressive.

#92 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

There is an injury concern with AV.

#93 gobraves101905

gobraves101905

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

There is an injury concern with AV.

What injury?

#94 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

What injury?

I’ve heard he he has had or will have surgery which will cost him part or all of next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users