maligned

Ed Ruth to 79kg

Don't know if people are still paying attention to Ruth, but he recently fought a catch-weight fight at 175 pounds in Bellator as he works his way down to 170. Apparently, he's struggled to keep weight on and his walk-around weight with the type of training load he's putting in is down to about 178. If he'd stuck with freestyle wrestling, what could he have brought to the mix in the new 79kg/174lb division? 

In my opinion, even at his best, he most likely would have been behind Dake and Ringer...but there's no doubt that his length and speed would have allowed him to score on anyone in the world at 79 and would have made for some very entertaining matches with our current top 2 at the weight.

I think with his unorthodox style and freakish athleticism, he would have split with Dake, and been ahead of Ringer. I don't think anyone at 79 could match Ruth's athleticism except for Dake and maybe Zahid. Ringer is fundamentally sounder, but too flat-footed (relative), which plays into Ruth's style.

I never loved his skill set in neutral. His freakishly long arms on top allowed him to do unreal things, but I never thought he had anywhere near the technique of the elite guys in neutral.

Edited by NJWC

I think with his unorthodox style and freakish athleticism, he would have split with Dake, and been ahead of Ringer. I don't think anyone at 79 could match Ruth's athleticism except for Dake and maybe Zahid. Ringer is fundamentally sounder, but too flat-footed (relative), which plays into Ruth's style.

Dieringer is far from flat footed and Ruth is more agile and fluid than explosive.  He was never a fast twitch muscle guy but rather a guy who dove in and finished any shot where his finger touched the other guy's leg.  Ruth's wrestling ability was freakish but his athleticism was far from it.  

And I see no chance of him beating Dake.  

In freestyle, Ruth looks like a fish out of water

Seems a little harsh.  He had a limited background in freestyle coming out of college, and he only competed for a couple of years.  Still, he made a world team and has some wins over high level guys on his resume.  It never felt like he was fully committed to free.  Obviously no way to know, but to me he had definite multi-time medalist potential. 

Dieringer is far from flat footed and Ruth is more agile and fluid than explosive. He was never a fast twitch muscle guy but rather a guy who dove in and finished any shot where his finger touched the other guy's leg. Ruth's wrestling ability was freakish but his athleticism was far from it.

And I see no chance of him beating Dake.

I mean, it's all relative, but Ringer has never been exactly fleet-footed. He has his go-to high C, his fireman's carry, but if you block those off, he couldn't do much else with his handfighting. I didn't say Ruth was explosive, and I do agree that he was more fluid and agile, but those traits would be deemed athletic as well. I just can't see a style like Ringer's posing much of an issue for Ruth, whereas Dake would with his explosive speed and ability to scramble with Ruth.

He was a good wrestler, he just didn't care towards the end and had his eye on MMA. Ruth was even close with Kudyamagomedov back when everyone was hyping him as being almost as good as Sadulaev (lol). By the time he lost to Herbert he had lost interest in the sport.

Edited by Shiraz123

I always loved Ed Ruth's "style." In competition, it appeared to me that he seemed to be drilling with an eye on, "Huh... I wonder what will happen if I try this."

In those last few months of him being on the mat, it was pretty clear that Ed was indifferent to the outcomes and wasn't putting his full effort into winning.