Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Most NCAA champs from one High School in one year

The other threads got me going here. I know when Jay Borchel and Matt McD won Ncaa titles in 2010 they gave LinnMar high school 2 champs. Obviously with a lot of twins in wrestling 2 champs are pretty common over the years. What high school has the most? I'm guessing its an Oklahoma school

Cedar Rapids Prarie had 2 3X NCAA CHAMPS in Jim Zalesky and Barry Davis :O), that doesn't even include Lenny Zalesky, who was a 3 X Big Ten Champ, 3X All-American and 2X NCAA Finalist. Barry and Jimmy have both told me, that the 3 of them scored enough points in the NCAA tournament to place second or something like that as a team, at least once.

Fadzaev2

In a thread I started earlier (Most NCAA Champs from one state in one year), The_Historian stated in 1942 Oklahoma crowned 7 of the 8 Champs that year and an unheard of 5 came from Tulsa Central High School!! :o

Granted the landscape of collegiate wrestling was much smaller then and I would be curious if any HS has approached that number since, especially in "the modern era" ie late 60s on.

I almost feel like you have to exclude St. Eds and Blair from this discussion in order to get some really interesting results. Including Blair, didn't they have a couple in one year a few years ago? I think one year they had Mocco, Esposito, and maybe some others.

I believe Sandusky High School (Sandusky, Ohio) had two champs back in 1992, Charles Jones of Purdue and Kevin Randleman of Ohio State. Randleman won it in '93 as well.

I think you are right....Terry Wilson was their high school coach!

Sounds like 1982 NCAAs.

BD scored 24, LZ scored 19 and JZ scored 24. Subtract that amount from Iowa's total and those three beat the rest of their teammates and place 4th as a team.

They would have finished:

1. Iowa State 111 (1)

2. Oklahoma 109 (3)

3. Oklahoma State 71.75

4. Cedar Rapids Prairie, IA 67 (2)

5. Iowa 64.75 (1)

Impressive!!

Cedar Rapids Prarie had 2 3X NCAA CHAMPS in Jim Zalesky and Barry Davis :O), that doesn't even include Lenny Zalesky, who was a 3 X Big Ten Champ, 3X All-American and 2X NCAA Finalist. Barry and Jimmy have both told me, that the 3 of them scored enough points in the NCAA tournament to place second or something like that as a team, at least once.

Fadzaev2

Tulsa Central had five in 1942 and three in 1941.

In the post war era, Waterloo West had three in 1947 - Hauser and Lange for Cornell College and Russ Bush from Northern Iowa. They won the first three weights. Bush was a last minute replacement for Gerry Leeman, who was injured.

A number of schools had two in one year. Anytime a pair of brothers win there will likely be two champions from the same school.