MSU158

For all those that blasted Courts for his Senior Season

These guys aren't robots.  When they show a significant decline, there is usually something pretty signifcant causing it.

Here is a little excerpt from http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20055

Courts returned for his senior season as a favorite to repeat as an All-American. However, it was clear from the start that it was going to be a struggle.

"I came in 30 pounds overweight," Courts said. "The whole season was basically a lot of running on the treadmill, a lot of bad matches, and that really killed my love for the sport. I went 0-2 that season at Nationals, after coming into the season ranked fifth. I actually lost my wrestle-off that year to a freshman. After that season, I was over it."

Ok I get it. The political correct definition is "reasons" no more "excuses"

So, having to cut 30lbs is an "excuse"?  Interesting...........I thought we were past that mentality when it came to weight cutting.  I guess not.......

I can understand how it happened and I really do feel for him, but it sounds like he got really out of shape in the offseason and couldn't bridge that gap to get back in proper shape. Sounds like it's his fault in the end.

It was his fault, he admits that his heart wasn't into it and he mailed it in.

Nice to see him back on the mat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

I was at matside at the Beast of the East maybe a decade ago when Kenny Courts was a 135 lb freshman wrestling for Central Dauphin in the finals.  It was early in the first period when Courts seriously hurt his knee.  He was in major pain but he continued to wrestle.  Then he would have to take a break. Then he would continue again, then have to stop again.  Courts ran out of injury time.  He had just a couple seconds left.  The next break he took would be his last and he would forfeit the finals.  

With his last possible start on top, Courts somehow stacked his opponent and decked him.  It was the bravest performance I've ever seen by a wrestler.  Kenny was through for the year.  You gotta respect a kid that pulls something like that off.

These guys aren't robots.  When they show a significant decline, there is usually something pretty signifcant causing it.

Courts returned for his senior season as a favorite to repeat as an All-American. However, it was clear from the start that it was going to be a struggle.

"I came in 30 pounds overweight," Courts said. "The whole season was basically a lot of running on the treadmill, a lot of bad matches, and that really killed my love for the sport. I went 0-2 that season at Nationals, after coming into the season ranked fifth. I actually lost my wrestle-off that year to a freshman. After that season, I was over it."

Yeah...he came in overweight!  He really isn't all that long--not sure of your point.  Maybe a little discipline?  In regard to his significant decline, what there a relative incline?  

So, having to cut 30lbs is an "excuse"?  Interesting...........I thought we were past that mentality when it came to weight cutting.  I guess not.......

You are a dip****.  Kenny was out of shape!  His problem--stop the tears.  

This article is definitely what you would call “spin”. Courts wasn’t underachiever all four years and this article is deafly what you would call “spin“. Courts was an underachiever all four years at Ohio State. The fifth place finish was pretty much out of nowhere. Otherwise, I can’t think of a single note worthy performance he had there speaking as a Buckeye fan. I heard from a well-connected Source That his body fat percentage was north of 20% How he has a victim of that I am not sure

Slow day at Intermat?  I recall him as often falling apart from lack of conditioning or an inability to hold it together late in his matches.  His record grew increasingly worse rather than better.  Maybe he can redeem himself in freestyle. Good luck to him.  Always nice if someone has a second act.

2016 SR #2 Ohio State #18 184     17 - 12 58.62 % 27.59 %

2015 JR #1 Ohio State #12 184      20 - 11 64.52 % 22.58 %

2014 SO #5 Ohio State #7 184       31 - 9 77.50 % 37.50 %    

Edited by dmm53

I was at matside at the Beast of the East maybe a decade ago when Kenny Courts was a 135 lb freshman wrestling for Central Dauphin in the finals.  It was early in the first period when Courts seriously hurt his knee.  He was in major pain but he continued to wrestle.  Then he would have to take a break. Then he would continue again, then have to stop again.  Courts ran out of injury time.  He had just a couple seconds left.  The next break he took would be his last and he would forfeit the finals.  

With his last possible start on top, Courts somehow stacked his opponent and decked him.  It was the bravest performance I've ever seen by a wrestler.  Kenny was through for the year.  You gotta respect a kid that pulls something like that off.

I was there also.  He was world beating until that injury.  He gutted it out but he was badly hurt.  Glad to see he is back in the mix.  Seemed like a nice kid.  His father was right there as well.  Another big guy. 

You are a dip****.  Kenny was out of shape!  His problem--stop the tears.  

Do you realize how weakminded it makes someone look when they resort to name calling and vulgarity?  Here is a great saying, "Vulgarity is no substitute for wit!"

If he was so out of shape, why did he have to spend all his time throughout the season focusing on a treadmill?  Coming in out of shape, should be adjusted within the 1st month, by normal DI practices alone.

Wrestling DI is ridiculously hard.  Unless you have done it, very few can have a true understanding.  Having to fight weight along with everything else is too much for almost anyone.  I at least went through it when you could cheat it with extra time allowance.  30 lbs over was way different during my time.

Lack of discipline and inability to be successful when cutting weight are not synonymous.  Some guys just aren't good at cutting weight.

30 pounds is not "overweight" to a wrestler. It is way too fat.

You know what the goal is and letting it get so far out of hand is not only stupid, but possibly dangerous. He was that heavy "coming into the season"?

Where was his weight management? Off season control?

Rulon Gardner stupid.

no one cares