MSU158

For all those that blasted Courts for his Senior Season

Not to pile on, but when I read the topic of this thread, I expected to find out that Courts had some sort of medical condition or his brother died that year or some extenuating circumstance.

Instead, I find out that its pretty much what people likely assumed when they "blasted" Courts -- waning motivation and poor weight management.

If anything, the article gives legitimacy to the views of Courts' senior-year critics.  From the sounds of it, even Courts himself would agree.

That said, I've always liked the guy, and hope he competes and makes some noise this weekend.

I guess it comes down to perception.  I read it as his saying he had grown out of the weight and had to spend the entire season trying to maintain the weight instead of actually wrestling.

The same can be said of his tweet.  Some read the tweet as his being sarcastic about never knowing how to manage weight with nutrition and others read it exactly as he wrote it.

Having gone through a horrendous weight cut, I felt sympathetic.  If, in fact, it was more laziness than anything else, my "perception" should change.

I guess it comes down to perception.  I read it as his saying he had grown out of the weight and had to spend the entire season trying to maintain the weight instead of actually wrestling.

The same can be said of his tweet.  Some read the tweet as his being sarcastic about never knowing how to manage weight with nutrition and others read it exactly as he wrote it.

Having gone through a horrendous weight cut, I felt sympathetic.  If, in fact, it was more laziness than anything else, my "perception" should change.

I think if you read the full context of his comments, it is pretty clear that Courts attributes his weight difficulties to his own failings, not having grown out of the weight.  For example:

All of it was self-inflicted, Courts said. He showed up on campus too heavy, spent an entire season worrying too much about his weight and took for granted all the little things that made a difference in the end. Courts beat himself.

“My senior year, I came in 30 pounds over weight,” Courts said. “The whole year, I wasn’t worried about getting better at wrestling, it was about making weight. My biggest opponent was making weight. I couldn’t beat myself first, so that was always my biggest problem.

“My discipline outside the room, my social life, management, discipline, I didn’t give my all,” Courts said. “Sometimes, talent really makes you believe you don’t have to follow all the rules. You get away with some things.”

Source:  http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/3525134740482105210/central-dauphin-grad-kenny-courts-bursts-onto-the-international-wrestling-scene-after-2-year-hiatus/

I hear what you are saying; I think most folks here can sympathize with a rough weight cut.  But I see no need to foist excuses on Courts where he isn't making any.  Lets just applaud his candor and root for him to make a comeback.  The truth is he is massively talented, and his ceiling is way higher than what he achieved at tOSU.

Edited by BAC

Very earlier on in Kenny's OSU career, freshman year I think, high up OSU brass referred to him to me as 'soft'.

MUCH more was expected at OSU from a 4 time PA champ.

2 time PA champ.

But point taken -- tOSU does have a long history of failing to develop multi-time PA champs.  Maybe Courts would have been better off elsewhere.

2 time PA champ.

But point taken -- tOSU does have a long history of failing to develop multi-time PA champs.  Maybe Courts would have been better off elsewhere.

My apologies, for some reason I was thinking Nick Roberts and Courts came in as 4xers

I think if you read the full context of his comments, it is pretty clear that Courts attributes his weight difficulties to his own failings, not having grown out of the weight.  For example:

All of it was self-inflicted, Courts said. He showed up on campus too heavy, spent an entire season worrying too much about his weight and took for granted all the little things that made a difference in the end. Courts beat himself.

“My senior year, I came in 30 pounds over weight,” Courts said. “The whole year, I wasn’t worried about getting better at wrestling, it was about making weight. My biggest opponent was making weight. I couldn’t beat myself first, so that was always my biggest problem.

“My discipline outside the room, my social life, management, discipline, I didn’t give my all,” Courts said. “Sometimes, talent really makes you believe you don’t have to follow all the rules. You get away with some things.”

Source:  http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/3525134740482105210/central-dauphin-grad-kenny-courts-bursts-onto-the-international-wrestling-scene-after-2-year-hiatus/

I hear what you are saying; I think most folks here can sympathize with a rough weight cut.  But I see no need to foist excuses on Courts where he isn't making any.  Lets just applaud his candor and root for him to make a comeback.  The truth is he is massively talented, and his ceiling is way higher than what he achieved at tOSU.

Thanks for that.  MUCH, MUCH different article and perspective.  My sympathy has been withdrawn.  

I like to give most of these guys the benefit of the doubt as I know how ridiculously hard it is to juggle everything that is required of a DI wrestler.

However, weight management is not solely a discipline thing.  Some times guys 18-22 simply outgrow weight classes.  That doesn't look to be the case here, but I hate to hear everyone "automatically" attribute it to that.

And being a tough guy on a message board is easy. Go figure.....

What is more common- news articles about wrestlers having a tough time cutting weight after coming into the season heavy, or tough guys on message boards?

What is more common- news articles about wrestlers having a tough time cutting weight after coming into the season heavy, or tough guys on message boards?

Internet tough guys to news articles about wrestlers having a tough time cutting weight?   ratio=189,632 to 1