Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

What's your US-OPEN bold prediction?

Mine is Dieringer takes top honors at 79kg, he's obviously the #2 So don't know how "Bold" that is, but Dake seems to be a "shoe-in" for World-Finals on these boards soooo bold enough.

I also think Fix wins

Gable places top 4

Joe Colon makes the finals

Stieber takes an unexpected loss

Molinaro wins a Molinaro title (all 2pt matches)

I-Mar takes home gold

And that's about it, not one to comment on Downey expectations but his fans are numerous and I'm sure they'll be some "bold predictions" about that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ramos loses before the final

Graff wins 61kg (more confident in this if Maple bumps up, but we'll stick with it either way)

Dieringer beats Dake

Winn makes the semis at least

Winn gets no love but he's always "right there" wish him the best for sure.

Also always thought Graff would round into a world medalist, but just hasn't happened

Mine is Dieringer takes top honors at 79kg, he's obviously the #2 So don't know how "Bold" that is, but Dake seems to be a "shoe-in" for World-Finals on these boards soooo bold enough.

I also think Fix wins

Gable places top 4

Joe Colon Does not makes the finals

Stieber takes an unexpected loss

Molinaro wins a Molinaro title (all 2pt matches)

I-Mar takes home gold nothing

And that's about it, not one to comment on Downey expectations but his fans are numerous and I'm sure they'll be some "bold predictions" about that.

FIFY regarding Colon.   And Imar - Not impressed with him.  Hopefully he does better than I have seen.  If Taylor doesn't make it that would be real news.  Same with Dake and Jordan.  Green is vulnerable i think.  

mspart 

Richie Lewis refreshes our memory about why he was a U23 freestyle world champ--he can get in on anyone's legs anytime he wants for 1-point step outs and score takedowns much more frequently than in folk because of folkstyle scrambling limitations. My bold prediction is that he'll look incredible all tournament but come up just short in the finals.

Is Heflin healthy? That injury he suffered in Cuba did not look good.

My thought on Graff is he does well against guys like Colon/Brewer/Garrett that have offense but are not elite defensive wrestlers. Many of his losses were to guys like Ramos (in folk) and Gilman that have amazing head-hands defense. But I don't know if anyone in this field meets that definition, so I see him doing quite well here.

Is Heflin healthy? That injury he suffered in Cuba did not look good.

My thought on Graff is he does well against guys like Colon/Brewer/Garrett that have offense but are not elite defensive wrestlers. Many of his losses were to guys like Ramos (in folk) and Gilman that have amazing head-hands defense. But I don't know if anyone in this field meets that definition, so I see him doing quite well here.

O ok did not know it was that bad of a injury. I agree the upset potentials are at the bottom two weights

Isn't this the opposite of a bold prediction?

I'll go with:

- McKenna beats Retherford

- Gantt wins 74kg

I think I just got to rambling things I find surprising but still think will happen.

There's a lot of speculation regarding if Maple will be at 61 or 65 and if Zane will be at 65 or 70.  My guess is Maple will probably be at 61, but no idea about Zane. Molinaro/Zane at 70 would be very interesting.... seems like a tossup (Zane had slight edge at 65, but seems like the extra 5 KG might help Frank more).

Edited by rpm002

There's a lot of speculation regarding if Maple will be at 61 or 65 and if Zane will be at 65 or 70.  My guess is Maple will probably be at 61, but no idea about Zane. Molinaro/Zane at 70 would be very interesting.... seems like a tossup (Zane had slight edge at 65, but seems like the extra 5 KG might help Frank more).

Not trying to be a jerk... but it's Zain*.  Anyway, I don't think there's any chance Zain goes 70 kg.

We've never heard anything about him having a hard time making 65 kg, where he's the favorite and returning world team member.  Not only would he be undersized at 70, but there's a returning medalist already sitting with a bye to the finals.  Even if he thought, hypothetically, that he's a better wrestler than Green, Green is a significantly larger man.  I see zero upside to that move.  

But it really isn't an extra 5 kg.  It's just a different set of weigh in rules.  I'd bet that Molinaro weighed 160 when they hit the mat last year at 143 (65kg), and will only a few pounds more this year at 70kg (154).  With a 24 hour weigh in the amount of water you can pull and then re-hydrate and still be strong is 5-10 lbs more than with same day weigh-ins.   

Not trying to be a jerk... but it's Zain*.  Anyway, I don't think there's any chance Zain goes 70 kg.

We've never heard anything about him having a hard time making 65 kg, where he's the favorite and returning world team member.  Not only would he be undersized at 70, but there's a returning medalist already sitting with a bye to the finals.  Even if he thought, hypothetically, that he's a better wrestler than Green, Green is a significantly larger man.  I see zero upside to that move.  

Again, if Zane could make 143 comfortably with same day weigh ins, he'd likely be going 141 for Penn State for the last three years, but he went 149.   Day before weigh ins versus same day. That extra six pounds will be rough coming off the grind of an NCAA season.  My guess is that he does it since this is the Olympic Year weight but it's got to take a toll.

Again, if Zane could make 143 comfortably with same day weigh ins, he'd likely be going 141 for Penn State for the last three years, but he went 149.   Day before weigh ins versus same day. That extra six pounds will be rough coming off the grind of an NCAA season.  My guess is that he does it since this is the Olympic Year weight but it's got to take a toll.

IMO he could have wrestled 141 each of the last two seasons if he wanted, but why would he?  In 2017 he would have forced Gulibon out and this year Nick Lee.  

Like you said, it's the Olympic weight, and Zain is never going to grow into 74 kg.  The new weigh-in rules will make the cut harder but unlike college, he's not making weight every week. 

IMO he definitely couldn't do 141 anymore with a college schedule.  But just a guess...

Agree completely on his situation though - he's too small for 74 kilos and with less weigh ins maybe he can swing 65 kilos.  I'm guessing we'll see him in a similar situation to Kennedy/Futrell/Humphrey/etc that were really big for their weight - do the big events at the lower weights and go 70 kilos for the smaller tournies. 

Well I initially predicted that Adam Coon would win at 125, but now that Varner is entered into this weight, I'm not so sure. Jake has the Senior level credentials, but Adam is a mighty Big Man, and has a few credentials of his own. Add in Gable, Dom, and the other studs at this weight, and this is a recipe for some exciting battles. I'm glad I'm going to be there to watch all of this.