Sign in to follow this  
BadgerMon

Tell me again

Why wrestling schedules their season for the winter?

1. Competes with basketball for fans/media time- competing with track n field/ X Games would be much easier, and not compete with March Madness.

2.  Study schedules are completely screwed up in terms of final exams.   Wrestlers would become students again and study well and take their difficult classes first semester, and not have to wrestle with finals during the season. The way it is now, the season bridges first semester finals and Christmas break.

3. No real reason the season needs to extend from Nov - March, is there? The season schedule is incredibly long as it is. Five months?? Think about that. How about last week of Jan- end of April.  Yes, I understand spring break is in there...might be a good time to heal before conference tournaments.

Thoughts?

Thoughts:

Allow 3-4 opens/invitationals before Christmas.

After New Year, no more than one dual/tourney a week (one weigh in max a week).

Begin conferences last two weekends of March.

NCAA second weekend in April.

I think it's hard to have a single weigh in a week followed by a 3 day weigh in at NCAAs.  It's also tough to do mostly duals leading into an individual tournament. 

I totally agree that reducing number of competitions is good.  In every other sport in the world you compete more the higher you go because you mature and can handle it.  In wrestling you compete more as a child than grown men do.  It makes no sense that at each level we compete less.  If 10-20 matches a year is good for adult men and women then there is no reason for kids to compete more often.  If adult men take time off between competitions then children should too. 

It's not like you see youth football playing 30 games or youth basketball playing 150.

Why wrestling schedules their season for the winter?

1. Competes with basketball for fans/media time- competing with track n field/ X Games would be much easier, and not compete with March Madness.

2.  Study schedules are completely screwed up in terms of final exams.   Wrestlers would become students again and study well and take their difficult classes first semester, and not have to wrestle with finals during the season. The way it is now, the season bridges first semester finals and Christmas break.

3. No real reason the season needs to extend from Nov - March, is there? The season schedule is incredibly long as it is. Five months?? Think about that. How about last week of Jan- end of April.  Yes, I understand spring break is in there...might be a good time to heal before conference tournaments.

Thoughts?

1. Not sure if it matters if we compete with basketball - would we lure their fans away if their season is over? I think they just switch to NBA. May help a little but I'm not convinced it's a deal breaker.

2/3 - Some schools are still on trimesters and spring break is the between the 2nd and 3rd trimester resulting in finals.

* One thing to consider is that this years signing date for wrestling was April 11th. Trying to recruit in the spring and prepare for an NCAA tourney at the same time would not be a good idea. I agree that changes need to be made - just not sure what the best scenario would be.  I wouldn't mind seeing a November-February with mandatory 2 week break in the middle. Football is over except for bowl games - end before march madness. 

Not a fan of the constant weigh-ins.  Coupled with all the travel, study these guys do it wears them down.  Elite international wrestlers are only competing every few months; the best compete sometimes as little as 2-3 times a year.  Starting in January, if teams wrestled a 2-weigh-in tourney once a month in Jan., Feb., and March (these can be dual tourneys if chosen) with one dual a week the other three weeks that's enough.  The conference meet can be 2 weigh ins, and then 3 at nationals in April.  No more is really needed.  Use the first semester to establish eligibility and academics, wrestle 2 opens in Nov. and Dec., then head to the January start date.  JMHO

It feels like most recognize a shorter season is better, including me.  A few observations:

1) Moving the start of the season forward to January and extending the end to mid April will effectively lengthen the season by one month. Most teams begin 'voluntary' workouts a week into school.  That won't change and those workouts are rough.  After the season is over, things chill considerably.  Perhaps going the other way is better.  Start in November and end in Feb.

2) The weigh-ins are insane.  Making scratch a dozen times in January and February is the norm.  Many of them during the school week.

3) Many of the season highlights involve out of conference duals and large in-season tournaments.  I would want to keep those, at the expense of opens if neccessary.

I’m not a fan of the open tournaments taking place before the first semester/trimester ends. I’d like to see the NCAA say something to the effect, “institutions/individuals enrolled in a full-time program at an NCAA partner school may not begin competition until Fall semester finals have completed.” That will vary from institution to institution, but the emphasis needs to be on the STUDENT-athlete. Don’t wanna be a student? Be part of a RTC somewhere and make a World/Olympic team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of great ideas.  I believe if we continue to develop the RTC's and continue our upward curve at the World Level, we will pick up more former wrestlers and parents as fans.  I do not believe we will pick up many basketball fans.  Just two different sports fans, and knowledge bases.  Now if we could find a way to educate our fans and former wrestling family to the scoring and current strategies, we would run out of seating...but there's no real interest in this happening.   Example 1... the rule book.  There should be soooo much more communication about scoring positions and specific objective criteria and scenarios that can be understood by the masses as well as the competitors and coaches.  It's like we try to keep it a mystery to folks that haven't been around for 5 or more years.  I don't have the health or the current knowledge to develop a dvd that has immediate access to examples of the rule and scoring maneuver in question.  Maybe a quick 2 minute run through of every scoring example and during commercials a quick strategy or technique highlighted so folks can know what they are watching.  Greater minds than mine could vastly improve the sport with this kind of promotional thinking, in my honest opinion.  I know Polyanish, but it just doesn't seem that complicated to me.  Once an appreciation is developed for the art form, you must also have an interest in teams or individuals in order to stay involved.  

I'm more interested in the major networks picking us up, rather than ESPN/FLO/ etc. That's my number two reason for NCAA championships to be held AFTER the Final Four.

Number ONE reason is to let the boys have at least one semester wherein he may concentrate on his major.

How many D1 wrestling schools are on trimesters? - (i e 3 trimesters in the 38 weeks from Labor Day to Memorial Day) Drexel. Some colleges out west. (So Bakersfield, Fresno?) 

How many schools do not have finals until after xmas-new years? I think Princeton.

I suspect those two categories total no more than 10.

So begin practice around Nov 15, 6.5 weeks later then now. 

Allow guys to compete in one 1-day open Dec 15-23.  after the all but 10 teams have likely had finals.

Midland Dec 28-29, Los Vegas Dec 30-31, Scuffle Jan 1-2.

Conference Tournaments the weekend after Men's- BB

NCAA two weeks later.

Season starts 6.5 weeks later ends 5 weeks later, about 10 days shorter season. Not a lot but....

It would have been this past weekend - competing with the Men's and Women's. Not a lot of Mens teams, actually not that many women (about like Wrestling I think) 

Fill in the in-betweens, set the number of weigh-ins as you like.

Edited by RichB