Ogalthorpe Haywood

Askren Wisconsin RTC head coach

No offense to Ben, but I think that Lee Kemp would have made more sense as head coach at an RTC, with Ben as an assistant. Lee, a three-time World Champion, four-time medal winner, former World team and Olympic coach, vs. Ben, a one-time Olympian who quit the sport because he didn't like the rules.

No offense to Ben, but I think that Lee Kemp would have made more sense as head coach at an RTC, with Ben as an assistant. Lee, a three-time World Champion, four-time medal winner, former World team and Olympic coach, vs. Ben, a one-time Olympian who quit the sport because he didn't like the rules.

Well the rules do suck!

How much coaching experience does Kemp have?  World team and Olympic coach is a title.  You coach the guys for a week.  Has he even been coaching with anything close to modern era wrestling rules, tactics, and strategies?  If you want to go off of results, Kemp should be a head coach over Tom Ryan and Dan Gable.  IMO Askren is a much better choice if you want guys to compete at their best rather than having accolades tied to the position. 

Will Askren have the mental toughness as a coach to stick with it? On the Freestyle circuit he did not do it. What has changed now?

I hope he does stay with it and put all his efforts into the program but his past calls into question whether he can do so.

Will Askren have the mental toughness as a coach to stick with it? On the Freestyle circuit he did not do it. What has changed now?

I hope he does stay with it and put all his efforts into the program but his past calls into question whether he can do so.

Probably the fact that he's retired from fighting and is a lot older.

How much coaching experience does Kemp have?  World team and Olympic coach is a title.  You coach the guys for a week.  Has he even been coaching with anything close to modern era wrestling rules, tactics, and strategies?  If you want to go off of results, Kemp should be a head coach over Tom Ryan and Dan Gable.  IMO Askren is a much better choice if you want guys to compete at their best rather than having accolades tied to the position. 

"... compete at their best" in what style? His made up $#!* with Marty Flo where only Ben understood the rules and invited in guys he could thump and make money? That was until he didn't.

Askren has made no bones about his disdain for Freestyle, so he quit training in it all together back in 2008. He's been out of that for a decade. Askren is not the first guy you hire for that job.

Now let's be honest, they hired Ben because of his stature within the state and Bono wants to keep the in-state crowd at home. In that case, where technique is not the premium, why would you NOT hire Lee Kemp as the head to dig into that alumni money that's out there and help grow the program, not unlike what has been done in Iowa City and State College?

Honorary title of coach for a guy who won World gold thrice and then is there with recent World and Olympic teams... I stand by my statements.

while resumes' would suggest askren is not the best choice for a freestyle coaching position, i really think askren is a quality hire for this...

he has proven he is a quality coach... just look how his age group guys have been doing lately... always at the pointy end of things at the important tourneys...

askren is intelligent and always asking questions... that is huge... the problem with most coaches is their own ego... askren does not seem to have this issue... even if he did not set the world on fire with his international career, he is constantly seeking ways to get better... coaching is about learning just as much as competing... i see a bunch of coaches who are motivated by ego... askren is not... that is what you need... someone constantly trying to better themselves... that gets passed on... 

"... compete at their best" in what style? His made up $#!* with Marty Flo where only Ben understood the rules and invited in guys he could thump and make money? That was until he didn't.

Askren has made no bones about his disdain for Freestyle, so he quit training in it all together back in 2008. He's been out of that for a decade. Askren is not the first guy you hire for that job.

Now let's be honest, they hired Ben because of his stature within the state and Bono wants to keep the in-state crowd at home. In that case, where technique is not the premium, why would you NOT hire Lee Kemp as the head to dig into that alumni money that's out there and help grow the program, not unlike what has been done in Iowa City and State College?

Honorary title of coach for a guy who won World gold thrice and then is there with recent World and Olympic teams... I stand by my statements.

there is truth in what both of you were saying.  

Not sure international success has anythng to do with coaching success or Mark Manning would be an unqualified coach.

Certainly Askren's status within Wisconsin plays a part in his hiring.  He is also capable of promoting and fundraising within the state.

In order to hire Kemp, he would have to be interested.  Judging by comments made on NCAA tournament coverage, he was more interested in giving recommendations rather than coaching.

That's a ridiculous comment. I've never heard anyone question Askren's mental toughness before. As far as I can tell, he's never backed down from a challenge, competitively. He went to chase money because there was none to be made in freestyle at the time. He has said he would have stuck around instead of fighting if there was any money in it. But I will say he just wasn't that good at freestyle, as it doesn't suit his wrestling style. He would be a much better folk coach.

He stuck around as an athlete longer than Dan Gable did.  Was Gable mentally weak too?

Lee Kemp is a hero of mine, I am a Wisconsin native in my mid-40's.  That being said, today's Wisconsin teenagers/young adults don't know Kemp.  I am not saying Lee would be a bad RTC coach, I just don't know that he would serve the purpose of this RTC as well as Askren can.  Also, there was footage of Kemp rolling with Askren during the 2008 Olympic camps.  There might be a relationship there that would allow Kemp to play a role in the BRTC.

Edited by jchapman

He stuck around as an athlete longer than Dan Gable did.  Was Gable mentally weak too?

Different times, different circumstances. Danny won Olympic and World Gold and went into coaching. The rest is history.

If, and it is a big IF... Askren can actually dedicate himself to coaching rather than running off at the mouth maybe he will do a good job. Will wait and see.

Different times, different circumstances. Danny won Olympic and World Gold and went into coaching. The rest is history.

If, and it is a big IF... Askren can actually dedicate himself to coaching rather than running off at the mouth maybe he will do a good job. Will wait and see.

askren has already proven he is dedicated to coaching... his academy has produced lots of solid kids... he was also a D1 assistant...

LOL at people saying Askren is a bad choice for RTC coach based on his wrestling career when the HWC coach is Mark Perry. I didn’t see anyone throwing their hands up when he got hired in Iowa City. Askren’s career > Perry’s. Sounds like the same people over on the high school forum who think Cormier isn’t qualified to coach a high school team because he struggled with weight management.

Ben Askren is the face of Wisconsin (the state not the college) wrestling. This is a good move for Bono and company.