Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What is Final X?

The Final X events in June are the ones where the national team spots are actually won. They feature 2 wrestlers at every weight. One is the winner of WTT in MN. The other is the returning World medalists at weights that have them and the US Open winner at weights that don't.

I think this is a few steps in the right direction. First, the top two in each weight class will have a level playing field because neither wrestled a full tournament to make the finals that same day. Second, as they have stated on FLO, it creates a "season" for international styles. You have the US Open, then the WTT, then Final X, then tune-ups for Worlds, then Worlds. Lastly, by making Final X occur in multiple locations you generate more revenue and more interest in different areas, which allows them to pay the winners. Love it!

Edited by mattchristensen112

I think this is a few steps in the right direction. First, the top two in each weight class will have a level playing field because neither wrestled a full tournament to make the finals that same day. Second, as they have stated on FLO, it creates a "season" for international styles. You have the US Open, then the WTT, then Final X, then tune-ups for Worlds, then Worlds. Lastly, by making Final X occur in multiple locations you generate more revenue and more interest in different areas, which allows them to pay the winners. Love it!

You could also argue that you are taking a good product and splitting it into three.  Why not have separate weights of the NCAA championships go on different days?  You could take the weights at which the PSU wrestlers are favored and host it in Rec Hall, then take the ones that tOSU is favored and host it in columbus.  You'd draw more fans and get twice the ratings.  (That is essentially what they are doing here by trying to put Zain/Taylor in Rec and Burroughs in Lincoln).  

The reason you don't want to do that is fewer people are likely to tune into all three events than just a single championship finals.  I'm not convinced that this will actually create more revenue, since it also costs money to put on these events. I could see flowrestling liking this though because by having a few smaller events instead of one giant event, it is less likely to go on TV and more likely to stay as a streamed event.  

i disagree. world cup was in the hotbed. all the weights were there. and attendance seemed low.

I would need to look at attendance for WTT and OTT but Im thinking they did this b/c they wanted to go where they would draw crowds for certain wrestlers. 

However, it does puzzle me that Ohio RTC didn't get one... and lehigh did.

I heard that they tried columbus, but something got in the way...

i disagree. world cup was in the hotbed. all the weights were there. and attendance seemed low.

I would need to look at attendance for WTT and OTT but Im thinking they did this b/c they wanted to go where they would draw crowds for certain wrestlers. 

However, it does puzzle me that Ohio RTC didn't get one... and lehigh did.

I heard that they tried columbus, but something got in the way...

Interesting. 

My guess is that if this goes well (makes a lot of money) then they'll find a way to make it happen next year in cbus.