Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Jake Varner at hwt

Just wish he’d spend the last couple years bulking up and developig himself into a serious HWT contender. I think he’s really just retrofitting himself into the weight to see where he’s at rather than prepping for a serious run. Maybe a good showing in the competition against the top guys will give him something to think about. Would love to see what Varner could do it he put in the work needed to get a strong HWT body that could compete for a medal. At 32 he could realistically be competitive in 2020.

Just wish he’d spend the last couple years bulking up and developig himself into a serious HWT contender. I think he’s really just retrofitting himself into the weight to see where he’s at rather than prepping for a serious run. Maybe a good showing in the competition against the top guys will give him something to think about. Would love to see what Varner could do it he put in the work needed to get a strong HWT body that could compete for a medal. At 32 he could realistically be competitive in 2020.

Hopefully Steveson puts him in place like Snyder did!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well I'm stoked, I think this will be great fun to watch. I have no idea how this will play out, but a wrestler with Jake's accomplishments and ability, just made this weight class a lot tougher. Also I have no idea what Jake weighs now days, but I know the last time we saw him he had gotten a lot bigger, than when he first started his international career. Hopefully he's has been lifting and packing on the size he will need to deal with some of these heavyweights.

I'm very happy about this.  Hopefully the natural process of aging and slowing metabolism has made him a larger man even as he's stayed in shape coaching.  Young Tervel wasn't real big and by the end he must have been around 260.  And aside from Coon we don't have much skilled size to push him around.  I can't see Gwiz shooting singles on Varner, he's just so hard to score on.  At the very least he adds another guy to the mix and at most he is a plodding 240 lb olympian in 2 years.  Truthfully if weight cutting wasn't a factor I bet tons of the older/smaller guys would love to show up and wrestle.  

What do you think I mean?

Young gun knocks off favored Olympic champ.

Carl's protege!

Oh I get it! Since he coaches at PSU, he's scum right?

Wait who was the last American to beat Snyder in a freestyle match?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Oh I get it! Since he coaches at PSU, he's scum right?

Wait who was the last American to beat Snyder in a freestyle match?

He's a ball grabbing Olympic champion!

One of the best ball grabbers of all time!

Edited by cjc007

Varner is the only American to beat Snyder at the senior level in his 4 years. And the other 4 matches were close. I understand his style makes people upset but before Cael got him he was Dean Heil and then he got offense-enough to win a world bronze and Olympic Gold. That said, we all know I am a Varner homer but I think he is just to small to do it. He has bulked to 235-240 from what I hear though-about Gable's size. I do have insider info though that Gwiz moved to NC State because of the Varner comeback. They were training together and splitting matches. So just knowing that the 32 year old Varner has the ability to get it done being that Gwiz is our #1. But Gwiz is not huge and going against guys like Rey, Nelson and Coon I am a bit nervous. I know that Varner feels he can win going with Gwiz or he would not have comeback. But those Varner shoes need some advertising:-) When I heard he was coming back I wanted him to go 203. Tough cut but he knows better than I do!

Edited by PRyan2012

I have only seen Varner wrestle a true 285 guy when he wrestled Iran's Hadi (Asian Champ)and #2 guy on their team. Varner only lost 3-1 but it was clearly due to just size and I think 280+ guys like Rey, Nelson, and Coon may own him just because of size. Gwiz is only 250 bulked up and I think Varner gauging himself from training with Gwiz may not be a good indicator. I hope I am wrong but am really excited!

While I don't disagree with Varner still being small, remember that Hadi is an absolutely huge HWT and Varner did weigh in at 97kilos for that match. 

Interesting to see how he does against a guy like Coon.  Varner almost always scores when he attacks but Coon makes a living out of countering smaller guys who shoot on his legs.  Ankle pick seems like a perfect move for a small HWT so Varner has that in his arsenal. 

All in all like PRyan said, I'm just excited to see how it all goes down. 

Well, I haven't seen the brackets yet, but if Coon and Varner are on opposite sides of the bracket, I think we see them in the finals. I know that some guys in this weight class are bigger than Jake, but I think he has enough offense to get past some of these guys. He does have a great ankle pick and a slide by, as well as the World level experience to execute it. Lastly, I know we also have a phenom in Gable, and I expect he will do well, but I just don't think he gets by Coon or Varner.