Sign in to follow this  
stonerd7

Oregon State Fiasco

There is more to the story.  I have talked to a couple of people very close.

This kid would call racism and make stuff up any time something didnt go his way.   He also would twist normal kidding around that had no racial or religious undertones and claim it was racist.  A lot of people got fed up with it and just avoided the kid.

There was an athletic trainer that really did not like Roberts.  Once this trainer found out there was an official complain, he produced a book of things he claimed to have documented over the 10 years that Roberts had done that was out of line in his opinion.  Whether or not he really was just compiling this and sitting on it, or he saw an opportunity to burn him and came up with it on the spot, who knows.  The university wasnt so fast to do anything until these notes surfaced.

This kid is not some genius scholar as the story shows with all of his academic honors.  He is a refuge, and the university really dumps accolades on minorities like this to show how diverse they are and how minorities can thrive at OSU.

it's notable that a sit-down between the two, mediated or not, seems to be a consensus solution among many posters here.  duh.

and yet, that is exactly what the administration forbade, and roberts remained faithful to this command.  and then he was strung up over it.

to the poster who suggested the kid was smeared in the article by the voluminous "irrelevant" accounts of this kid's anger problems, i'm quite sure that the point of their inclusion in this article is that they likely had a very large bearing on this issue.  people who cannot control their tempers do not respect boundaries, and among those boundaries disregarded is the line between truth and fabrication.  as there are differing accounts of the story, and this kid's accounting of the incident does not jive well with that of others quoted, these items of the kid's character and social discrimination are of very great relevance.

It has nothing to do with being a professional environment, dummy.

Being a hypocrite is a social construct, dummy.

Don't tell people to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do, dummy.

Got it, dummy?

Professional behavior enables people to hide their hypocritical views, this being a message board enables people to expose their hypocritical views, dummy.

but then again, i wouldn't expect a dummy like you to understand something like this.

Yes it does. My point is that if I expressed these views, despite being 100% right, in a professional environment and somebody got offended, I would be fired. They had no choice but to fire Roberts because he crossed that line and was not important enough to deal with the backlash.

There is more to the story.  I have talked to a couple of people very close.

This kid would call racism and make stuff up any time something didnt go his way.   He also would twist normal kidding around that had no racial or religious undertones and claim it was racist.  A lot of people got fed up with it and just avoided the kid.

There was an athletic trainer that really did not like Roberts.  Once this trainer found out there was an official complain, he produced a book of things he claimed to have documented over the 10 years that Roberts had done that was out of line in his opinion.  Whether or not he really was just compiling this and sitting on it, or he saw an opportunity to burn him and came up with it on the spot, who knows.  The university wasnt so fast to do anything until these notes surfaced.

This kid is not some genius scholar as the story shows with all of his academic honors.  He is a refuge, and the university really dumps accolades on minorities like this to show how diverse they are and how minorities can thrive at OSU.

Being an Iraqi refugee and attending college as a student athlete is pretty impressive to me and worthy of accolades.  

Yes it does. My point is that if I expressed these views, despite being 100% right, in a professional environment and somebody got offended, I would be fired. They had no choice but to fire Roberts because he crossed that line and was not important enough to deal with the backlash.

I get what you're saying about not speaking up in a professional environment. You're typically not paid by your job to give those points of view therefore I agree with you that you shouldn't give them, but that's not the point.

The point is in your explanation of how to deal with situations like this you disrespected people with religious views, while telling people not to do that very thing. Thus what makes you a hypocrite. A simple "views you disagree with" would have sufficed. Instead you said their views are wrong for not following evolution.

I get what you're saying about not speaking up in a professional environment. You're typically not paid by your job to give those points of view therefore I agree with you that you shouldn't give them, but that's not the point.

The point is in your explanation of how to deal with situations like this you disrespected people with religious views, while telling people not to do that very thing. Thus what makes you a hypocrite. A simple "views you disagree with" would have sufficed. Instead you said their views are wrong for not following evolution.

I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinions on religion in a nonprofessional environment.  If you want to call scientology a cult, go for it, I don't care.  Just don't do it in a professional environment.  That's all I'm saying.  

I don't have a problem with people voicing their opinions on religion in a nonprofessional environment.  If you want to call scientology a cult, go for it, I don't care.  Just don't do it in a professional environment.  That's all I'm saying.

Then you shouldn't have called them crazy!

Not true - they did not have "no choice" but to fire Roberts. Every student athlete interviewed said that it was blown out of proportion...that they didn't think that Roberts was racist...that he tried to calm down the situation and that he even stated that was not at all his intent. Troy Steiner even said he didn't see anything like that happen while with the program. Read some of the other posts of guys who have spent time in the room and in the program. Why do you come to the conclusion they had "no choice." They didn't even follow due process. Why do you think OSU settled out of court with Roberts? Was it insensitive?Probably. Could there been a reprimand that included some sort of training? Probably so. Fired? No. 

to the poster who suggested the kid was smeared in the article by the voluminous "irrelevant" accounts of this kid's anger problems, i'm quite sure that the point of their inclusion in this article is that they likely had a very large bearing on this issue.  people who cannot control their tempers do not respect boundaries, and among those boundaries disregarded is the line between truth and fabrication.  as there are differing accounts of the story, and this kid's accounting of the incident does not jive well with that of others quoted, these items of the kid's character and social discrimination are of very great relevance.

So according to you, the more anger-prone you are, the less honest you are?  Now that's a fun little tidbit of crack psychology. Maybe you should try that one out in court sometime and see how it goes.

Lawyer:  Isn't it true that the light was green when my client drove through it?

Witness:  No, I am certain the light was red.

Lawyer:  Ah, but isn't it true that you yelled at your dog last week for pooping in the house?

Judge:  .... huh?

Witness:  Um..... yes?

Lawyer:  [beaming proudly]  I rest my case, Your Honor.

Edited by BAC

close BAC, but not quite.

His continual run ins with people may show his overreactions to things...

just think if his dog had pooped on Lewis' carpet... 

Well that's a different argument than what my buddy John was saying, but I still disagree.

If all Roberts did was use the term "Muslim helmet" (or "cloth helmet") on a single occasion in response to someone's question about what a hijab is, I don't have any difficulty saying the kid is over-reacting if he is demanding that Roberts be fired over that comment alone -- even though Roberts' comment was inappropriate and probably warranted a warning and/or counseling/training.  If you told me that the Alshujery had a 4.0 and helped little old ladies cross the street, it wouldn't make Alshujery''s demand that Roberts be fired for that comment more reasonable.  And if you told me that Alshujery got DQ'd back in high school and sometimes yelled at people, that wouldn't make Alshujery's demand that Roberts be fired for that comment less reasonable.  Either way, it is totally collateral and shouldn't be in the article.  I don't like it when newspapers smear people with irrelevant stuff like this.

The only way other run-ins would be relevant from my standpoint is if Roberts had reason to know that Alshujery was particularly sensitive to matters pertaining to his religion.  If so, then Roberts' comment is more blameworthy.  (By contrast, if Alshujery frequently joked about his own religion in a similar way, then maybe Roberts gets a pass.)

I guess that explains why the university went so far as to terminate Roberts.  Still, its odd that Roberts didn't mention it in the article. If the university used the trainer's claims as a reason to fire him without even hearing Roberts' side of the story, that's a really crappy thing to do -- even if there was some legitimacy in what the trainer was saying.

Well that's a different argument than what my buddy John was saying, but I still disagree.

If all Roberts did was use the term "Muslim helmet" (or "cloth helmet") on a single occasion in response to someone's question about what a hijab is, I don't have any difficulty saying the kid is over-reacting if he is demanding that Roberts be fired over that comment alone -- even though Roberts' comment was inappropriate and probably warranted a warning and/or counseling/training.

Isn’t that essentially what’s being said in regards to Roberts? Yes, the claim was of a longer-term issue, but there was no other specific mention of much else that Roberts did, despite for example there being specific mention of comments made by Zalesky.

I do think there is some relevance to the past instances (which BTW Alshujery talked about some of them himself in the article), but it’s not to prove that he’s “not trustworthy,” I think they’re trying to imply that since he seems to have over-reacted to other instances, maybe he over-reacted to this one too.

This kid is not some genius scholar as the story shows with all of his academic honors. He is a refuge, and the university really dumps accolades on minorities like this to show how diverse they are and how minorities can thrive at OSU.

Interesting that after reading the same article some people think he is being smeared and some think he is being made out to be a genius scholar. I mean the article pointed out that he currently lives in his parent’s basement, I don’t think it was trying to say that he was a genius.

I agree with what you are saying BAC.(especially the firing on the comment of the trainer w/o making this known to roberts)

they only pointed to ONE instance of comments by roberts... the rest of roberts actions are of a coach pushing

however, prior behavior is always used to establish patterns of behavior

Coaches today are going through countless hours of sensitivity training not just over religions but race, gender, choice of gender, using proper pronouns etc...

I'm not on the side of the social justice warriors but what they do not realize it makes it worse for them.

We are already experiencing the balkanization of America and will continue to grow. Certain schools will not accept certain people, certain coaches won't recruit certain people and certain employers will not employ certain people.

Why? Because it becomes a hassle to everyone and people take the path of least resistance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• The article is not fair to Alshujery in one important sense -- it delves at length into entirely unrelated incidents in which Alshujery lost his temper, painting him as a hothead.  For the most part Alshujery owns up to those incidents, but they are almost entirely irrelevant.  Whether or not Alshujery is a hothead at times (and apparently he is) has little to do with whether and to what extent the hajib comments were appropriate and whether Alshujery was offended by them, which is all that matters here.  The focus on Alshujery's loss of temper in unrelated incidents serves little purpose except to cast Alshujery in a negative light, and is not fair.

So according to you, the more anger-prone you are, the less honest you are?  Now that's a fun little tidbit of crack psychology. Maybe you should try that one out in court sometime and see how it goes.

Lawyer:  Isn't it true that the light was green when my client drove through it?

Witness:  No, I am certain the light was red.

Lawyer:  Ah, but isn't it true that you yelled at your dog last week for pooping in the house?

Judge:  .... huh?

Witness:  Um..... yes?

Lawyer:  [beaming proudly]  I rest my case, Your Honor.

mattering perhaps more is whether the coach made the comments as reported by alshujery or not, a point which alshujery seems not to be able to corroborate fully.  whether they were appropriate and whether they offended assumes they were even made as reported.  several witnesses report that it happened differently than reported by alshujery, and this difference then begs the question "why".  one obvious theory is that alshujery has once again lost his cool, flown off the rails, and again finds himself unable to cool down to the point of admitting his own culpability.  against a coach alshujery cannot physically intimidate, he does have the power to fabricate and report a false narrative.  nothing far-fetched here at all.

it's not rocket science, man.  but, as for legal expertise, i am willing to graciously defer to your own apparent superiority.  i don't really have any interest in delving into some off-season message board spat with you or anyone else.  what's the point in being right here?