Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

Has Jordan Oliver Completed His Suspension Yet So He Can Compete In The U.S. Open?

9JAN, 2018

USADA announced today that Jordan Oliver, of Tempe, Ariz., an athlete in the sport of wrestling, has accepted a one-year suspension for an anti-doping rule violation.

Oliver, 27, tested positive for amphetamine as the result of an in-competition urine sample he provided at the U.S. Open World Team Trials on April 29, 2017. Amphetamine is a Non-Specified substance in the class of Stimulants and is prohibited in-competition under the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the United States Olympic Committee National Anti-Doping Policies, and the United World Wrestling Anti-Doping Rules, all of which have adopted the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List.

Following notification of his positive test, Oliver informed USADA that he used a medication at least five days prior to the competition to treat a medical condition. After reviewing the specific medication and the concentration of amphetamine detected in Oliver’s sample, USADA determined the low amphetamine concentration was consistent with medication use five or more days before the competition. Oliver has since applied for a TUE to authorize his continued use of the stimulant medication.

------------------------------

In looking at this it appears that USADA is screwing him. Piling on with no concern for him as an athlete. Maybe I'm wrong on it but it sure appears that way as his ban is effectively TWO years with there being no last chance qualifier for him to enter. Two days late turns into two years out of the running for the US Team.

All for a "medication consistent with use five or more days before the competition".

Strict interpretation rather then a ruling taking into account what appears to be reality is cruel and unusual punishment in this case.

It's not USADAs fault that USA Wrestling made the US Open a few days earlier than last year and eliminated the last chance qualifier. 

Oliver can compete in the same manner after this weekend as the dozens of other wrestlers who don't qualify for WTT

But WillieBoy is still right -- the effect is to convert Oliver's one-year infraction into a two-year infraction, which is unfair to him.  Yes he can compete in other events, but the idea behind a one-year penalty is that you lose the ability to compete in your sport's world championships for a year.  It would take a far more serious infraction to be barred from world championship events for two years.  Yet that's what JO is getting.

I don't know if the responsibility for that falls on USA Wrestling or USADA, but if they are really going to do away with a last chance qualifier, USA Wrestling should replace it with a "petition-in" process (e.g. for former world team members who couldn't attend Nationals) so Oliver can make his case. 

USA Wrestling can still give him a WC invite to WTTs. No-one would blink given the circumstances and the fact that he is undefeated against the entire 65KG field. If they don’t do it, it shows you they are not really interested in ensuring the top guys make the team. Instead it shows they operate on agendas.

Additionally, there was a story intimating that JO has now submitted the paperwork allowing him to continue taking the same drug that got him suspended. I cannot confirm he has received this approval, but if he has, this effectively means he was suspended for 2 years for taking something that he is now allowed to take and would have been allowed to take had he just asked for permission in the first place. Yes, that is still on him. But for anyone believing that his us Open championship is tainted by the positive test, that’s clearly not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USA Wrestling can still give him a WC invite to WTTs. No-one would blink given the circumstances and the fact that he is undefeated against the entire 65KG field. If they don’t do it, it shows you they are not really interested in ensuring the top guys make the team. Instead it shows they operate on agendas.

Additionally, there was a story intimating that JO has now submitted the paperwork allowing him to continue taking the same drug that got him suspended. I cannot confirm he has received this approval, but if he has, this effectively means he was suspended for 2 years for taking something that he is now allowed to take and would have been allowed to take had he just asked for permission in the first place. Yes, that is still on him. But for anyone believing that his us Open championship is tainted by the positive test, that’s clearly not the case.

I doubt he’d be able to make 65kg with 2 hour weigh ins even if he was able to compete.

the idea behind a one-year penalty is that you lose the ability to compete in your sport's world championships for a year

No, the idea of a one year penalty is that you can’t compete for one year, regardless of the schedule of your sport. Your statement about world championships comes from you.

I doubt he’d be able to make 65kg with 2 hour weigh ins even if he was able to compete.

Have you seen him recently?  Looks like he is walking around at about 150 (if that).  I actually think he is in the best weight management position he has been in since his Sr Yr in college.  I see no issues with the 2 day weigh-in at 65.  And I can't imagine that working out with Dake just about every day since January has hurt him either. 

At this point, USAW has given no indication that they will choose to invite him.  Although Abbot did confirm back in January that their bi-laws allow it.  But it does not seem to be looking good for JO.  It's a shame USAW would pick favorites over allowing the (arguably) best guy at a weight to even compete at trials.  Feels awfully "Russian-ish".

By giving JO a special invite to the trials when he has not earned one would be picking favorites.

JO made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. It’s not USA Wrestling’s fault he and his coaches did not take the necessary steps to prevent him being banned from competition for one year.

Have you seen him recently?  Looks like he is walking around at about 150 (if that).  I actually think he is in the best weight management position he has been in since his Sr Yr in college.  I see no issues with the 2 day weigh-in at 65.  And I can't imagine that working out with Dake just about every day since January has hurt him either. 

At this point, USAW has given no indication that they will choose to invite him.  Although Abbot did confirm back in January that their bi-laws allow it.  But it does not seem to be looking good for JO.  It's a shame USAW would pick favorites over allowing the (arguably) best guy at a weight to even compete at trials.  Feels awfully "Russian-ish".

Jordan Oliver fan boy speaking.

USAW allowing him into the WTT would be a huge mistake. 

A wild card is self explanatory and should be given to anyone USA wrestling wants to give one to.  A wild card recipient still has to compete in the WTT so I don't care who gets one.

If Oliver doesn't get a WC and misses out on the tournament by a few days, then I bet he is more careful with what he puts in his body next time.  

However this situation is resolved is fine.  Not everything is a screw job or a huge mistake.  Sometimes things are just fortunate or unfortunate.  

I want Oliver to be able to compete, but I don't like the precedent that's set by handing out a wild card berth.  I don't think it's allowable based on the established qualification criteria... but even if it were I wouldn't be in favor.  

I don't think anyone is saying you just hand him a wild card berth while forbidding others from requesting one.  You establish neutral criteria that enables deserving candidates who were unable to attend Nationals to submit a petition to USA Wrestling, and USA Wrestling decides if that person (a) had a legitimate reason for not being at Nationals, and (b) has a strong enough resume to merit inclusion at WTTs despite not earning a top 8 finish at Nationals.

Honestly this would be a good idea even without the Oliver situation, since apparently USA Wrestling is dispensing with the last chance qualifier.  What if one of our top guys has a last-minute injury or is violently ill that day or their mom got badly injured the day before or... whatever.  USA Wrestling has strong incentive to assemble the best team possible, and recognizing this, has previously seen fit to give wrestlers two bites at the apple to qualify for WTTs.  If they aren't going to let the guys wrestle at a last chance qualifier, then at least create a petition-in process as a substitute.

Edited by BAC

I want Oliver to be able to compete, but I don't like the precedent that's set by handing out a wild card berth.  I don't think it's allowable based on the established qualification criteria... but even if it were I wouldn't be in favor.  

WC births are not something new.  This flexibility is built into the USAW bi-laws to ensure they have the ability to get the best guys to WTTs, including those that had some sort of extenuating circumstances that prevented them from qualifying through traditional means.  An injury would be a simple example where it would make sense. 

IMO, the situation w/ JO, also makes sense.  Why?

1. His suspension will be done by the time WTTs occur.

2. His suspension ends basically one day after The US Open is done.

3. Even the USDA admits that his sin had extenuating circumstances. This is evidenced by the fact that he only got a 1 year suspension, when the norm is 2.

4. If it is true that he has in fact been cleared to continue taking the exact drug he popped for, the USDA is basically conceding it does not give him an unfair competitive advantage. 

5. He is undefeated against all domestic wrestlers currently competing at 65KG.

6. He is healthy; has been training and has it made it publicly clear that he wants to be there.

7. At the time JO agreed to the suspension, it was not known that there would be no "Last Chance" tourney in May this year.  When was the last time there wasn't one?

If all of that doesn't make him qualify for a WC, USAW ought to drop the provision that allows WCs to be given.  Bc if they don't give him one, it will be clear that they only use it when it fits their preferences.  In fact, if they don't use it now and try to use it in the future, they risk litigation.  

My opinion.