nom

Is Gable S. the greatest HS wrestling recruit ever?

When talking "recruit" you also have to look at the quality of the weight being recruited. The lower weights have greater depth, thus there's more choices when picking guys for those weights. When you get to the heavyweight, it's a different animal altogether. Gable is head and shoulders above the field (yeah, I know he beat Kerkvliet 3-2, but that kid is the tops in that class), so he is a much rarer type of wrestler than highly-ranked lower and middle weights because of the scarcity of heavies that can actually wrestle.

I'd say Gable will be favored in every single college wrestling dual he wrestles starting next year. How many other recruits can say that? This makes him that much higher in the recruiting game because he fills a weight that isn't easily filled by blue chip wrestling talents AND he doesn't wrestle like a typical heavyweight. Good, active, heavies can be developed in college, but Gable is already there. That's what makes him one of the top recruits in my opinion. His World titles also speak for themselves. 

Hahn might be the best guy I've ever seen coming out of high school, but two heavies (Mocco and Steveson) are 2A and 2B. My frame of reference starts around 1995-96.

Mocco is the best heavy I've seen in high school.    Stevenson is making me question that.   

But again, what has Stevenson accomplished in HS or other on the mat, he is mentioned often but no results? ;_;

But again, what has Stevenson accomplished in HS or other on the mat, he is mentioned often but no results? ;_;

His results are off the charts.   World champion and undefeated HS career.    He has wins over college guys and just placed 4th at the US open.   Mocco went right out and was an NCAA finalist as a frosh.  I'm interested in seeing how Gable is able to do his first year in college.   

His results are off the charts.   World champion and undefeated HS career.    He has wins over college guys and just placed 4th at the US open.   Mocco went right out and was an NCAA finalist as a frosh.  I'm interested in seeing how Gable is able to do his first year in college.

ahh ... prove it, I can't find any Stevenson in the record books who is undefeated in HS and world champ.

The best wrestler ever in the US? Seriously?

Mocco was perhaps the most prized recruit ever.  Internationally, he has light years to travel to surpass John Smith, Sanderson, Big Bruce, Kevin Jackson, JB and Snyder.

Voice texting screw up. Meant High Schooler.

Gable went absolutely undefeated in freestyle at the cadet and junior level winning two junior worlds and one cadet world. That’s unprecedented but doesn’t make him the best recruit. Oh and he won four MN high school titles including one as a ninth grader at 197 pounds. And he was never held back. That’s one thing. The second thing is he is clearly the favorite to win ncaa’s before he steps foot into the room. Some may doubt this but consider that:

1. He teched Tanner Hall who placed third in ncaas in 2017.

2. Though he lost to Dom Bradley it was as close as it could be and it’s easy enough to see with some better tactics he’s right there. I mean he was winning 2-1 with three seconds to go and he got pushed out. Dom himself was a 2x AA (fourth and third) and a junior champ, albeit in 2009.

3. He’s done all this with limited high level training. He hasn’t set foot in a college room (he’s still in HS is what I mean) and didn’t spend a year at an RTC.

I don’t see any college heavyweight hanging with him.

Edited by BigTimeFan

Gable went absolutely undefeated in freestyle at the cadet and junior level winning two junior worlds and one cadet world. That’s unprecedented but doesn’t make him the best recruit. Oh and he won four MN high school titles including one as a ninth grader at 197 pounds. And he was never held back. That’s one thing. The second thing is he is clearly the favorite to win ncaa’s before he steps foot into the room. Some may doubt this but consider that:

1. He teched Tanner Hall who placed third in ncaas in 2017.

2. Though he lost to Dom Bradley it was as close as it could be and it’s easy enough to see with some better tactics he’s right there. I mean he was winning 2-1 with three seconds to go and he got pushed out. Dom himself was a 2x AA (fourth and third) and a junior champ, albeit in 2009.

3. He’s done all this with limited high level training. He hasn’t set foot in a college room (he’s still in HS is what I mean) and didn’t spend a year at an RTC.

I don’t see any college heavyweight hanging with him.

Not to mention heavyweight is really thinned out next year.  I could see the biggest guys giving him some trouble and maybe stifling his offense.  If they can do that, maybe you beat him on the mat. I don't see anyone that can hang with him in neutral. 

Gable does train pretty frequently with the MN Training Center at the U of M. Works out with Tony Nelson and Hayden Zillmer on the regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, didn't know that. Then what I said in this regard counts less. 

In terms of heavyweights, I think the best comparison is to Mocco.  Both had pretty much won everything there was to win at the high school/juniors level, and both won college level tournaments while still in high school.

When compared to other high school wrestlers regardless of weight, usually the measuring stick is how well they did against competition above their level.  The most prodigious high schoolers would probably be guys like Jimmy Carr, Dave Schultz, Cary Kolat, Henry Cejudo, and Aaron Pico, who all had significant wins against high level college wrestlers (in Carr's case, world level competition) while still in high school.  Yeah, I know some of those guys didn't go on to wrestle college.

Gable Steveson is great, but I don't think he's quite to their level just yet. 

One thing that occurs to me is that Gable may just improve significantly by the time he gets to the WTTs (if he goes). When someone is at Gable's time and place, tremendous talent and moving up a level, great strides happen quickly. John Peterson lost 15-0 to Steve Combs before the 1972 Olympic trials and then beat him at the trials to make the team and get a silver (check it out here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cliffkeen/Peterson.pdf).Peterson drilled extensively to prepare under the guidance of Dan Gable. What I am getting at (if it's not obvious) is that Gable got pushed around the mat by Coon in the body lock position. He was a fish out of water. He can drill this position. Gable also get four pointed off his own shot. He can drill this. Someone with Gable's natural ability and determination can make unthinkable strides in a short time. I would not in any way take his fourth place in the US Open as the final word on his 2018 senior freestyle success or lack thereof. 

The other thing too that Gable has to deal with against senior level comp is unique to HWT - size.  He is just so much smaller than Coon and Bradley.  You can't make up weighing in at 240 or whatever and wrestling a 285 pound Coon in a short period of time. 

There's a pic I saw of the Minnesota RTC guys on Twitter and I swear it looks like Gable is pretty much the same height as Dylan Ness.  I know pictures can be deceiving, but the fact remains that he will have a huge size disadvantage that will take years to narrow the gap on. 

The other thing too that Gable has to deal with against senior level comp is unique to HWT - size.  He is just so much smaller than Coon and Bradley.  You can't make up weighing in at 240 or whatever and wrestling a 285 pound Coon in a short period of time. 

There's a pic I saw of the Minnesota RTC guys on Twitter and I swear it looks like Gable is pretty much the same height as Dylan Ness.  I know pictures can be deceiving, but the fact remains that he will have a huge size disadvantage that will take years to narrow the gap on. 

He's about 6', 250 lbs, Ness is probably about 6' himself so that's not surprising.  We all know his biggest issue is dealing with full-sized heavies.  But the advantage he has on them is incredible athleticism and balance.  I think he'll figure it out much quicker than you think, probably by next year.  

There were seriously people last Friday saying Gable isn't actually much of an athlete.  Think about that.